British curriculum in PY1 - PY2 (inquiry)

OmarsMum

Reaction score
What do they teach at school? Do they teach grammar & comprehension? As in grammar books and a paragraph to find the answers from? Do they have science books?

I'm asking because my son's school is an IB school, they follow the PYP (primary years program) but the curriculum is British.

My son is not taught grammar or comprehension in a traditional way, unlike other "British schools" that have all those subjects. I studied in a British schools & we had all those subjects & books.

At DS school they have a unit of inquiry, they're studying about the community. This is in addition to math, reading (based on the child's level), tricky words in English (magic words) and spelling (cvc words)

I'm curious to know how they teach in the UK.

Dec was in year 2 last year (primary 3 in Northern Ireland) he was taught grammar and comprehension, he doesnt have a science book, they do topics each term called the world around us these topics include science, geography, history, maths, english and religion.
When you talk of a paragraph to find the answers do you mean read a story/paragraph and answer questions on it??

Decs day would consist of maths, and religion in the morning, the world around us, reading, comprehension work and spellings in the afternoon.

In Primary schools in the UK now, there is a new curriculum now with a massive focus on grammar. I went to a course on primary level grammar at DD's school last year and a lot of the stuff they cover in honestly the same as the things we teach in A level English Language. The new curriculum here is very hard and in my opinion, far too prescriptive and rigid for such young children. The kids in year one are miserable with the amount of pressure and the teacher tells us that she has to push them so hard to meet the new targets, it's very hard on them. I used to teach the IB diploma and I personally believe that the IB is the BEST course that there is out there. The ethos and academic standards of the IB are really wonderful, it is a world class qualification and I would rather teach it and day of the week than any other curriculum (and I have taught quite a few!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->