Broken Down Stitches - episiotomy

mellylou88

Mummy To A Baby Boy
Reaction score
I had a forcep delivery with episiotomy over 5 weeks ago, I found out 3 weeks ago that my stitches had broken down and left the wound gaping, nothing else was said then every time I went to the loo it was pure agony, went to see a nurse who said it was infected went to hospital was told they wouldn't re-stitch and gave me two dif types of anti biotics which I finished 2 weeks ago.

I had a nurse check after I finished my tablets and she said it was red raw went again a week later and she said it looked better but recommended that I left it till 6-8 weeks pp to see if it heals on its own.

I'm going out my mind with worry, has anyone else experienced this?

It does not bother me at all, I feel delicate about it but not crippled with pain.

any advice would be great! xx

Both times my stitches have fallen out, but never had this problem :( bath in tea tree oil and lavender oil as this will help keep the area clean and help fight infection. I'd say try not to let soap get near it as this can add to infection.
Hope it heals for u soon

Sorry to hear your stitches have broken. Mine broke too. They didn't think I had an infection but gave me antibiotics anyway to make sure I didn't get an infection and because stitiches usually split due to an infection (or so I was told). I was told to have regular baths to keep the area clean. They also said to keep it as dry as possible (so I used a hairdryer on a cool setting). I was referred to a gynaecologist 5 weeks after giving birth to see if I needed to be re-stitched and he said to review again in 4 weeks as he wanted to see me heal up further. So went 4 weeks later and apparently the muscles have healed so all is good...He said I could have a 're-fashion' but it was probably best to wait until I had finished having children. My husband says he was so worried in the early days as the area was so red and looked so sore but he says I have healed really well. I am still a bit sensitive down there but that is it. I hope you recover soon - just make sure you keep an eye on the area and if you start experiencing more pain or it looks more sore/gets more red then go back to the GP as you may need more antibiotics.

I'm in two minds whether to have a look at it incase it really upsets me (my whole labour and delivery was a nightmare) worst thing is I haven't even been given a follow up appointment?!

Can you ask your OH to have a look? If not make an appointment to see the GP and say you wanted them to review you to make sure you are still healing ok. They may not have given you a followup appointment because they may think that you will heal ok and that they don't need to do anymore but they don't think about how you are feeling and that you need reassurance that things are ok. The difficulty is knowing what is normal - I was in a lot of pain but didn't know if it was normal or not but took it upon myself to go to the GP and am so glad I did as my stitches had split. I think anyone who has had stitches or tearing etc need to be routinely reviewed afterwards whether by the GP or midwife. I would definitely go back to be seen. Keep going back until you are happy with the outcome. Hope you get sorted.

I had this. It took forever to heal, didnt heal until 15 weeks pp, at which point my doctor said it had healed as much as it was ever going to but at that point I didn't care what it looked like as I was just so pleased to feel comfortable again.
My doctor was really good and saw me every two weeks to check how it was healing and check the infection had gone (had three courses of antibiotics as it kept coming back) you will get there in the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->