• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brothers Simon and Sam - too similar?

sdms06

Reaction score
Just need some opinions.. I have a son Simon and am expecting another boy this fall. One name my husband and I both really like is Samuel, and we would call him Sam. And actually, when my first son was born, we decided between these two names for him.

I can't help but feel that Simon and Sam are too similar sounding. The couple people I have mentioned it to (including husband) don't think so. I have an older daughter Madelyn also.

Your opinion is appreciated!

I don't see anything wrong with having a Simon and a Sam. Go for it!

I don't see anything wrong with having a Simon and a Sam if it's just the two of them. You have a Madelyn though and although I still don't really see anything WRONG with it, it's always been a pet peeve of mine when two kids have names starting with the same letter and the third one doesn't. That's personal preference though. Don't let my opinion keep you from choosing the name you really love

I think it works just fine. It's not like it's Simon and Samson which are way more similar (although could still work IMO)
It's just personal preference and since you and OH both like it then I'd stick with it!

Thanks, everyone for the opinions! I guess I am in the minority. :)

I personally find them too similar. My parents and grandparents ALWAYS mixed up our names (4 girls, so it didn't help)- Stephanie, Michelle, Chantal and Natalie. So I tried to avoid phonetically similar names for my boys and people still accidentally mix them up- Sheldon and Lennox.

But if you're both in love with the name, don't let it stop you, people will deal :)

I personally find them too similar. My parents and grandparents ALWAYS mixed up our names (4 girls, so it didn't help)- Stephanie, Michelle, Chantal and Natalie. So I tried to avoid phonetically similar names for my boys and people still accidentally mix them up- Sheldon and Lennox.

But if you're both in love with the name, don't let it stop you, people will deal :)

My granny always went through every female name in the family before getting to mine (Nancy, Claudia, Becky, Christy, etc...all the way down to Veronica), I really think it's just something older people do lol it happens. I don't think the names are too similar OP :)

I think Simon & Sam go well together! Not too similar in my opinion.

I think they sound good together and not too similar.

However in saying that I have a Sophia and a Sienna which I didn't think sounded that similar but EVERYONE uses the names interchangeably without even realising it, my husband being a major culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->