Brown spotting at 10 weeks 4 days--UPDATE for Emerg, terrified.

hopefulhippo

Reaction score
I just saw a streak of brown spotting after peeing. I have had no spotting up till now. Does anyone know anything about spotting at this point in the pregnancy?

spotting is common at all stages. I bled quite heavily with my son at 14 weeks for a week but all turned out well.. If you notice it again it doesn't hurt to go get checked out. our emergency is very accommodating here. they will check you with an ultrasound at the time and book a second diagnostic ultrasound right away to give peace of mind. we are very lucky. I'm in Northern British Columbia.

Hi,

I had brown spotting a few times in my 1st pregnancy and had some yesterday with this very early one.

With my 1st, although not at 10 weeks I did have it at around 13-14 weeks. It was due to having a low lying placenta at the time (which moved as baby grew more and more) which was confirmed with a scan.

Apparently it can also be the lining on the other side of your womb from your placenta coming away.

In any case, I would definitely inform your doc and arrange for a scan to put your mind at ease. Hope you're not experiencing any pain.

GL x

Bleeding, even spotting, should always be in investigated in pregnancy. I'd call your doctor.

I agree it's usually nothing to worry about especially as it's only a little and brown, but speak to your doctor or local EPAU (early pregnancy unit) at the hospital and see if they will give you a scan. They can be quite tough sometimes and even after a bleed at 20 weeks they wouldn't scan me coz I had only just had my anomaly scan so just sent me away. All was fine but I wish I had argued with them for a scan coz I was worried for ages after.
But I'm in the UK and from what I've heard it can be quite hard to get a scan in the first tri so if they say no make sure you argue it Hun x

Hope it's just nothing and I'm sure it is, good luck Hun x

I spoke to my midwife and she suggested I go to Emerg which I did.

The spotting had stopped and they did an internal exam which confirmed this and that the cervix is closed.

Then they brought in a portable, bedside ultrasound machine. The doctor confirmed the pregnancy was there but said he could not "definitively" see a heartbeat. What the on earth does this mean???? How could he not see one? My last ultrasound had a strong heart beat at 8 weeks. He said that sometimes they can't see it on that kind of a machine. Has anyone else ever heard of this?? I am so incredibly scared.

He has asked me to come back for a proper ultrasound.

Hoping everything is fine! When do u go back?

I have heard this before, they told me the same thing, the internal ultrasounds are not always as strong... unfortunately mine was a mmc but that is not always the case. I have heard many miracles over the years where one ultrasound didn't work out and the next was just fine. Are they getting you in for a medical one right away? I really hope everything works out ok for you.

I'm going tomorrow morning. You have heard before that the portable machine can't always detect a heart beat? It just seems so strange that it wouldn't show at ten weeks. I have a very bad feeling.

Hang in there. I understand your worry and I would feel the same. I'm hoping for the best for you and LO

Thank you.

Does anyone know anything about the accuracy of these portable machines? I also asked the doctor if he could tell me how big the baby was measuring and he said, no the machine can't determine that. I guess I'm just wondering how rudimentary the machine really is...or if it really should be picking up a heart beat given I'm almost 11 weeks.

I had brown spotting last week at 9w 4 days went to the E.R and they did the full work up to, they had to really look for the heartbeat, finally found it though, he may have been right with what he told you about the machine, cause even I couldn't see it even though they said it was there.

((hugs)) I will be following your post tomorrow to see what you find out!

I think in the best conditions you would see it but there are many factors that could make it inaccurate such as position of uterus or placenta etc.

So sorry. I hope all goes well this morning. I've never heard of them not seeing h/b on portable machine. How long did dr. look?

Oh hopeful, I just read this thread... I feel so sick for you, I can't believe that happened... I would have demanded a scan right then and there... I am praying for you, update us when you can,, I'll be stalking... I'm sorry you are going through this!!!

I really hope it turns out fine for you. Sorry youre going through this but may be wih a better machine you'll get better and correct results.

Just caught up with this thread - hope everything goes ok for you!

The official ultrasound found that the baby died two weeks ago. A devastating day. And my second miscarriage in a year. Makes it pretty hard to have hope for a healthy baby one day. Thank you for the support, I am going to take medication now to pass the baby at home.

Omg, hopeful, I have no words, just tears... I know exactly what You're going through, I had three miscarriages in the last year, two early and one missed miscarriage at 10 weeks... please keep the hope, I never ever thought in a million years I would be here!!! Please take time to heal, and find someone to talk to, I've been talking to a therapist and I can not express to you the amount of help it has done... especially with getting through the anxiety I feel during this pregnancy!!! I'm praying for you hun, and I'm crying for you and your sweet little baby!!! If you ever need to talk I am here for you!!!

Oh my goodness, much love and strength to you. I am so sorry this has happened to you.

My cousin had multiple MCs before her 1st baby - she started to try early for her second and although got pregnant relatively quickly felt the same would happen again - It didn't. She used progesterone suppositories to help sustain this pregnancy and now has 2 children. She never thought this would happen for her and it has. She found herself a good dr who helped her so much.

I hope that you either have one too or can find one who will support you every step of the way when you are next ready.

In the meantime, hugs to you. :hugs::hugs::hugs:
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back