brushing teeth and fluoride??????

kelly2903

mum2princess an expectin
Reaction score
well this is my worry........................:blush:

health visitor told me that where i live there is no fluoride in our water!!!!
so i need to brush lillys teeth with 1000 fluoride toothpaste (it states on the back of the toothpaste how much fluoride it actually contains.

now i have also heard that fluoride is not good for us or our teeth as well

qoute

Well, in case you didn't know it, fluoride is highly toxic. In fact, before fluoride was deemed a "cavity fighter," it was used as insecticide and rat poison. It's true. Even more surprising is that when it comes to dental hygiene, fluoride actually does more harm than good.
Everything you always DIDN'T want to know about fluoride
For decades the message that fluoride safely prevents tooth decay has been considered sacrosanct. This idea came from the same "chemicals for better living" era that also told us that smoking cigarettes soothed the throat.
Now for a brief history lesson: please switch off the lights and turn on the projector...
Fluoride is a pollutant - a by-product of copper, iron and aluminum manufacturing. The problem of how to legally dispose of fluoride was solved in the 1930's when a study (funded by one of the country's largest aluminum companies) concluded that fluoride prevented tooth decay. A successful public relations effort, helped along with some cooperative government cronies, resulted in the good news going out: this miracle chemical, when added to water supplies, will give everyone healthy teeth and brighter smiles.

so wat do i do for the best?????????

hi there,
we have just started using aquafresh milk teeth - 1400 ppm - tbh i don't no too much about it all as i'm actually a social scientist :) but with all the research that has been done by dentists and doctors i would believe fluoride to be a good thing.

could i ask what source your quote was from?

:hugs: x

hi yeah it has been on the discovery channel and also a write up about it from Health Sciences Institute, do you think im wrong in thinking its bad why are some people saying its good and others saying its bad!!!!!!! imconfuzzeled about it all

have to say i am absolutely against flouride. i was given it as a baby as i had my teeth early and couldnt brush them by myself. mum said the mw told her to give me flouirde drops and i had white spots all over my teeth. unfotunately they came out on my adult teeth and i am so concious of it and cant wait to get rid of them x

hi there,
we have just started using aquafresh milk teeth - 1400 ppm - tbh i don't no too much about it all as i'm actually a social scientist :) but with all the research that has been done by dentists and doctors i would believe fluoride to be a good thing.

could i ask what source your quote was from?

:hugs: x

We're using that toothpaste too. I was wondering where you got your information from too, as while an excess of fluoride isn't considered to be a good thing (eg. if you're taking fluoride supplements and using fluoride toothpaste), I also thought it was a good thing provided it's in the right amount. Why else would it still be added to toothpastes, especially for children? :hugs: x

have to say i am absolutely against flouride. i was given it as a baby as i had my teeth early and couldnt brush them by myself. mum said the mw told her to give me flouirde drops and i had white spots all over my teeth. unfotunately they came out on my adult teeth and i am so concious of it and cant wait to get rid of them x

This is what they didn't know at the time and why on toothpaste tubes it now states that you should consult your dentist before using fluoride toothpaste if you are taking fluoride supplements. I don't think that none is a good thing though - I think you just shouldn't have too much x

goodness i'm shocked by all the conflicting advice - as there always seems to be, i actually assumed it was a good thing as it was needed by our teeth.

sweetie i too get confuzzled over all the different advice - take the whole mmr debate - which i wont go in to but there was so many conflicting arguments, and lets face it, people will never agree with everyone, thats why i spent my uni yrs arguing :lol:

i think we can only read all the different advice and then as parents make our informed decision based on what will think, though i do agree with sam's mum about it not being put there if it would do any harm.

and btw - if u was wondering - maddi will be having the private single vaccinations - again just a personal choice :) x

yeh from what i understand you should have fluoride but in the right amount suited for you or baby otherwise they wouldnt put in baby toothpaste if it was doing more harm than good. i think having a small amount in you toothpast and brushing your teeth twice a day is perfect your teeth, im no dentist but this is what assume?

i think sams mum has a really good point it cant be totally bad for you, so none at all is a bad idea but some is a good idea, but i have been using aquafreas 0-3 years milk teeth for lilly, one tube that i have has 1000pm in it and another tube has only 800pm in it, it totally baffels me, since we dont have it in our water where i live then its prob a good idea a use it in small amounts

thanks for your posts guys.

oh i also dont believe they wouldnt put itin if it wasnt good for you there is some many things in kids drinks that is not good for them and yet its still in there but i wont get into that one hahaha

oh i also dont believe they wouldnt put itin if it wasnt good for you there is some many things in kids drinks that is not good for them and yet its still in there but i wont get into that one hahaha

he he! no just what you mean, i can't believe its not in your area either honey, motherhood just turns us into worriers doesn't it - i'm such a huge worry wart! you should see my sterilising ritual :blush:
:hug:

he he! no just what you mean, i can't believe its not in your area either honey, motherhood just turns us into worriers doesn't it - i'm such a huge worry wart! you should see my sterilising ritual :blush:

it sure does im like a worry robot making sure this and that is done and properply and if oh does it and gets it wrong i throw a fit hehehehehe glad you understand my worries some1 has too hahahaha:blush:

it sure does im like a worry robot making sure this and that is done and properply and if oh does it and gets it wrong i throw a fit hehehehehe glad you understand my worries some1 has too hahahaha:blush:

tell me about it, james, my DF always takes the brunt poor sod, she nos now how to do it all properly :blush:

We have fluoride in our water, which Colton has had straight out of the tap since birth.
I dont think it hurts too much in just the water.
But as far as someone saying spots on their teeth, I have a few of these as well. I've never taken fluoride supplements, just used the water/toothpaste.
So, saying that, Colton only gets fluoride free toothpaste. It's made just for babies.

We dont use fluoride. I think its in the water here though, but we make a point to buy fluoride free toothpaste. The information is correct, too much is toxic. Theres even limited evidence to suggest it actually helps teeth at all and a few studies which have shown no link between fluoride and better teeth

As theres so much skepticism and so little positive evidence, Id go for fluoride free for a baby

sorry didnt make my statement very clear! im against concentrated flouride DROPS only which is what i had, i agree with the ladies that you do need some xx

my sisters 2 front teeth are almost brown now, she can only get rid of it by having expensive veneers, we were told it was caused by too much fluoride. So im really interested in this thread!

my sisters 2 front teeth are almost brown now, she can only get rid of it by having expensive veneers, we were told it was caused by too much fluoride. So im really interested in this thread!

HHHHHHHMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babygiftcoll
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->