Budget meals?

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
Before i found out i was pregnant, me and my partner was saving for our wedding in April next year. As my partner is going into the army, we need to be married for family housing so we can both stay together.

Now with saving for the wedding as well as a new addition, we are trying to cut back on our spending. We have started buying cheaper makes of food ect but i feel like we are still spending more then we should.

Does anyone know any budget meals for two adults and a growing bean?

Cauliflower cheese,if you but frozen cauliflower and packet cheese sauce,have it with a Jacket spud
Jacket spud,beans,sausages(fave meal) lol
Pasta,tuna,sweetcorn and mayo
Soz thats all i can think of hunni.
xx xx

Homemade soups, shepards pie, jacket spuds with beans. Best way is to write a shopping list and stick to it. :D Or only take a certain amount of money with you so you know you cant over spend :D

OH and I always pick up those 'feed the family for a fiver' leaflets in Sainsbury's. They're designed for 4, so should be fine for 2 1/2 ^_^ xx

Also, shopping online is good because then you can tweak your list and get rid of any items you added on a whim :p

bbc food has a really good cheap recipes section, i have cooked loads from there & they taste really good :)

Tuna pie
Two tins of tuna (value is fine and only around 45p a tin)
Peas and or sweetcorn
White sauce (home made with milk and cornflour or a cheapy packet)
Mashed potato (nice with some sweet potato in aswell)

Put tuna in a casserole dish, top with peas/sweecorn then white sauce then mash then bake in oven for around 45 mins, a sprinkle of cheese on top is nice too :)

Spaghetti with tomato sauce
Tin value chopped tomatoes
One onion chopped finely
Veg/chicken stock cube
Value mixed dried herbs
Garlic - fresh, minced or dry powder doesn't matter!

Cook all ingredients till onions are soft
Serve with Spaghetti (or any pasta) and grated cheese or parmesan on top
You can also chuck in any leftover bits of ham, bacon etc... and I sometimes put olives or capers in if i have any in the fridge

Hiya, thanks girls, i will make a weekly food plan and use the meals you gave :)

I don't have a Sainsbury's anywere near me. Only ASDA and if i travel 30mins away i will find another asda lol!

Thanks again xx

pepper and tomato soup

Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Place the peppers and garlic on a baking tray, sprinkle with oregano and 1tbsp olive oil. Roast for 30-35 mins until the pepper skins are blistered. Place the hot peppers in a plastic bag. When cold, peel and chop the flesh, discarding the seeds.
Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large pan and fry the onion for 10 mins until softened. Chop the tomatoes, discarding the seeds and add to the pan with the peppers, stock, sugar and a few basil leaves. Squeeze the soft cooked garlic from the cloves and add to the pan. Simmer for 30 mins.
Slice the ciabatta into four and brush with the remaining olive oil. Chop the basil (keeping a few leaves for garnish) and sprinkle over the bread. Season and lightly grill. Whizz the soup in a food processor then reheat. Garnish with basil leaves and black pepper and serve with the toasts.

Buying a roast like a chicken or ham is always a good idea (if you're not vegetarian). You can have it as like a sunday dinner with veggies which (especially if you buy frozen, make your own roasts etc) are dirt cheap & then use the rest in a curry or sandwiches for the next couple of days.

x

https://www.babyandbump.com/recipe-exchange/240170-simplest-quickest-cheapest-salmon-recipe.html
Love it, its ridiculously cheap and tastes soo good imo
if you try it let me no what youthink as its my own recipe so im always interested to know :)
xxxx

KrisKitten i will try that tonight :) sounds yummy!!!

Thank you to all the girls who have shared their ideas... my partner has told me to get cooking!! especially the peper and tomato soup :)!!

Please keep them coming xx

stay away from the tuna hun you cant eat it when pregnant cos of mucry or how ever you spell it i find buyin stuff like meat n bread etc when on offer and freezing it saves a fortune :) good luck on baby and wedding front

Thanks to everyone who have gave me fab ideas!!

I have a budget of £100 per month for food and i ALWAYS went over it! now i am spenidng around £70 per month!! hehe i'm chuffed! i hope i can keep saving! thanks again girls! x

stay away from the tuna hun you cant eat it when pregnant cos of mucry or how ever you spell it i find buyin stuff like meat n bread etc when on offer and freezing it saves a fortune :) good luck on baby and wedding front

in the information my midwife gave me nhs info its says you can eat upto 3 tins a week, just dont go stupid its the same with everything if you over do it its bad for you,

Never buy pasta sauce! Buy passata instead (its with the tinned veg) its usually about 50p for a jar/carton and you can add your own veg/herbs to make it different.

Also check the bottom shelves when shopping as they put the cheap stuff out of most peoples eyeline.

yeah you can get garlic paste quite cheap bought £1 and add that to it and its really nice with any pasta and over fish/chicken etc x

Thanks to everyone who have gave me fab ideas!!

I have a budget of £100 per month for food and i ALWAYS went over it! now i am spenidng around £70 per month!! hehe i'm chuffed! i hope i can keep saving! thanks again girls! x

That is AMAZING how on earth do you manage it? Can we have a rundown of your shopping list please cos I seriously need to copy it, we have managed to reduce ours but still spending way over that!

Also if you do do your shopping online, check which days have the cheapest delivery- its usually Tues and Weds- you will find thats when they get all the new deliveries in and the use by dates are the longest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->