Budgeting for baby

I used cloth nappies and they cost about the equivalent of one years supply of disposables to get you set up. So if you think that kids can be in nappies 2-3 years and also that you can use them for more than one kid... It's quite a saving!! Not everyone likes them though. :)

You will be fine with that income!! Seriously!
Right now I am on a £4300 per year apprenticeship (which will hopefully become a £12k per year job just before we start TTC) and OH had just finished uni and is currently working at asda for around £800 every 4 weeks while looking for a full time job (looking for about £14 - £15k per year)... And I've worked out our finances (including using what tax credits, child benefit) we will get and we have worked out as able to afford everything including a holiday to disney world every two years!
We are really good with money so that adds to it but if we can do it on that you can defo do it in your income!
As for one off purchases, I've got around £700 put away for baby things (on top of the money saved for our house deposit and holiday in April) and as soon as I get that bfp I'm going to be as frugal as possible for 6 months then have a blow out week when I'm around 7 months and but everything for baby!

I was without a car for a while and as I live in a village felt very isolated. I couldn't get to breastfeeding group, or just nip to the shop if o needed something.
Dh ran out of work when ds was 9 months, I found a part time job at waitrose which helped feed us but 3 months mortgage/bills on savings and a clear credit card would have been a god send.
Xx

It looks like you're trying to budget for everything not just baby costs, the best way to do that is to keep track of your current monthly spend, then you will have an idea on the cost of your essentials and be able to add baby costs to it.

My dh is an accountant so in our house every penny is recorded but it means at the start of a month I know how much I have for pleasure spend after bills etc. I spend £300 per month on food for the 2 of us (Tesco) so your £200 sounds reasonable to me but everyone is different. I have also started to think "what additional costs there will be with baby", ie fuel bills will go up as the heating well be on more, plus stuff I will buy for baby, but I hope to get stuff second hand. I think you make a baby fit the budget you have, sounds like you're being sensible to me.

If at all possible I'd like to save up £2000 just as a safety net in case of any costs I haven't thought of. I don't want money problems to ruin the joy of a new baby or add any stress. Have begun to look into tutoring as a way of boosting my income now and maintaining the tutoring during maternity leave as a way of getting a little more coming in.

I think I spent best part of £2000 on the run up to my daughter being born...
You do worry about money, its just natural too... I have already started thinking about how much to save each month from now till baby is born and even after (cut down most likely)...

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->