Bulky nappies, rolling, crawling ect.

x-li-x

Me & Hubby + 3 :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies

I was just wondering really , can cloth nappies delay a childs progress a little, Especially bulky ones. (Not so much delay but make things slightly harder)

Callie is quite small, about 11 lbs 7ish so majority of her nappies are quite bulky, and ive noticed that alot of her nappies are causing her distress. For example shes just started rolling but when she rolls sometimes its like the nappy wont let her lay on her belly n kind of just roll her back or right round, and sometimes its like she cant even get over as they are just in her way! N she gets so fustrated n upset but when she has nappy of time she can do it really well, n now im worried if she is having problems with this when it comes to Sitting unaided,crawling , walking will it be the same, a little harder for her or will she learn as normal, and rolling is only harder because of the bulk of the nappy at the front.(which im assuming)
I would never stop with cloth i love them im just curious if others have noticed anything similar.

Thanks in advance x

(edited: worded better so what i was trying to say made more sense)

I'm not sure what the verdict is on this, but my LO is 6 months and a skinny long man, he rolled at 3 and a half months, while wearing a boosted wonderoo v1, so it hasn't slowed him down yet! I agree tho that when having nappy off time he could grab and play with his feet before he was able to with nappy on.

When I was a baby I was also long and skinny, and mum only used terry squares on me. Apparently I was up and walking by 12 months, so it didn't slow me down. If your LO is getting really frustrated, then flips are a BTP that are quite slim, or itti's are sized and very trim, you could get one preloved to try?
Xxx

They all suffer frustration at some point - esp whilst they're trying to conquer something.
I doubt that the nappy has any bearing, apparently cloth nappies help with hip development.

Also all babies will do things at a different rate. Q is nearly 11 months now and doesn't crawl properly and didn't roll properly till he was 7 months. but he's as bright as a button and has fab motor skills, dexterity and co-ordination and communication skills for his age.

EJ didnt roll till 5 months and he was in disposibles mainly up till then rolling is actually an advanced skill at that age hun. cloth nappies are better for hip development and only a couple of decades ago all of us were wearing bullky cloth nappies and we werent all impaired by our nappies lol they learn to deal with things that caus them problems and overcome them
i defo dont think that cloth nappies delay progress, my 6 month old is more stable sitting in cloth than in a sposie

My LO has just turned 1 and is trying to walk unaided. The only time she's actually managed it properly was when she was wearing a HUGE night nappy. I think her problem is confidence, we know she can walk and she can stand unaided for minutes at a time but she doesn't have the confidence to let go and then move. Big nappies seem to actually help with that cos her bottom is more padded! She rolled at the normal time anyway, but if anything I'd say a cloth nappy has helped her with learning to stand, climb etc.

This is just something I've noticed from the Itty Bitty Babies thread, and I have NO scientific back-up for this... But it does seem that littler babies do the motor skills milestones later than the big ones. I know that out of the 2009 Bumpkins, Romilly is quite "slow" in terms of she's not standing unaided, never mind taking steps or walking. The bigger babies in that group are way ahead of her. Yet, amongst the Itty Bitty babies, it's noted that she's cruising, and that being really good!

So perhaps it's the size? But my LO is developing mentally wonderfully, and I know she'll get to the motor skills in her own time.

In terms of the nappy and rolling, yah, it might be a bit uncomfy/difficult if she has bulk at the front, but I don't think that'll stop her walking or crawling :)

:hugs:

Thank you everyone has made me feel better, I didnt really think it was the nappies but wanted to make sure, its more to do with the bulk at the front and rolling that annoys her cus sometimes shes not flat on the floor because of the bulk and it just made me wonder about crawling ect tho i know its doubtful that would be hard as the bulk would be away from floor! X

logan was big when born but is now smallish for his age (18lbs at nearly 8 months) but hes way ahead!!! Hes bee crawling since 5 months, hes been rolling over one way from 4 weeks and both ways from 4 months. Hes been pulling himself up to his knees from 7months and has just learnt how to pull himself up on furniture and started crusing this morning!!

Ive been using cloth since he waas little and it hasnt done him any harm at all!!!

Cloth definitely hasn't delayed Adam, in fact I wonder if it's helped, especially with his confidence to get on his feet - he is generally in a bulky Little Lamb fitted at home and it's so padded he practically bounces when he lands on his bum. :lol:

He rolled front to back at 12 weeks, back to front at 4.5 months, and 360 degrees at 5 months. Then he was crawling by 7 months, cruising at 8 and walking unaided at 11.

He's average weight and a little taller than average, so neither huge nor tiny. :)

eta: I think he *might* have taken a little longer to sit unaided, actually, but that's all.

Mine was rolling front to back at 10 weeks, back to front at 18 weeks, pushing herself backwards at 5 months, crawling properly forward at 7 months, cruising by 8 months but then didn't walk till 12.5 months.

In cloth that whole period. The lack of walking was due to confidence - she had the skills but not the confidence. She was a chunky thing so that big babies idea works in her case.

I gotta say that I dont think cloth has affected Evie's physical development at all. I actually thought the same thing at first, that the extra bulk between her legs would be a problem but it really wasnt. The only problems she had were when I first put on a mega boosted PopIn on her and she had trouble sitting up in it at first.. but this is where babies are fab.. she adapted ;) She was like a weeble for a while :haha:
She started crawling at about 9 months (she was sitting unaided before we started using fluff and she was a little late wiv that!) and on the same day she first crawled properly, she started pulling herself up on furniture and within a few days was cruising the furniture! Today she took ONE step unaided then launched herself at me :)haha:) so I know that walking is just around the corner.. fluff definately hasnt hampered her development there :)
She is a fairly big baby (82nd percentile) so maybe the big baby theory is true? :shrug:

Not in our case, he rolled at 2 1/2 months (only weeks after starting cloth) one way and 3 months the other, sat at 5 months, crawled a few weeks later, started pulling to stand a few days later and cruising a few days after that. He is a cruising/crawling fool at less than 6.5 months, EVEN in his cot (next to my bed) with his big boosted night nappies!!

Basically, all babes are different (so cliche but so true)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->