Burglaries

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
:nope: there are so many round our area just lately

My oh works away two weeks a mth and I am really staring to get freaked.

We've got an alarm and I leave lights on
Just wondered if its something everyone worries about

I feel vulnerable with my French doors and the back door has a large pane of glass that I thnk wouldn't be too hard to break :wacko:

yep I'm paranoid about this. my hubby works nights and so four nights a week I'm on my own with the kids. I always set the alarm and leave lights on and I even went through a stage of sleeping on the sofa so if anyone did break in I'd get to them before they got upstairs where the kids are. I know it's not a nice thought but i read once that if an intruder comes upstairs and you injure them in self defence (protecting your family) you would not be prosecuted whereas if you were to go downstairs where they are and injure them you could be. I'd rather not take the chance of them getting upstairs to where my kids are though tbh.

Same here, good thing is I'm in a town house and the girls sleep on the top floor and I'm one below, anyone has to go past me x

Ahh it terrifies me, especially this time of year when you hear about it so much. I live on my own with Lucas and about a year and a half ago when he was at his dad's one night I caught some lads breaking in next door. The house was empty and they were only nicking lead but it was the scariest thing ever, and for ages I thought they were going to target me for calling the police.
I wasn't as bothered before I started back at work a year ago because before then I was always awake through the night. Now I just don't settle at all in the night and every morning I wake up thinking "I wonder if someone broke in last night" :-/

I live in military marital quarters and burglaries are rife here, they know that a lot of our men go away frequently so will burgle when they know women are on their own or most commonly on the school run. Thankfully I live on a very mixed patch, but my friend lived on a patch where it was common knowledge the battalion had gone to Afghanistan so a bunch of the houses were burgled with the wives in because they were vulnerable. It's just sick. Terrifies me too. Hubby hasn't had to go away for long so far but could be next year so I will probably come up with my own little contingency plan.

It does scare me but where i live it doesnt happen very often. Such a shame it happening a lot this time of year. Some very thoughtless pricks out there

It's so sad thy pick on women when their partners are away...

Should have their bloody hands chopped off :(

:(. That's such a worry. Glad they arrested someone though

Even though we have an alarm I've just bought a beware of the dog sign and will put a dogs bowl out when I go shopping. Not sure if these make a difference mind you

Last week we had someone knocking on our door saying he was part of a youth rehabilitation scheme and that in order too gain a character reference he was coming door to door selling kitchen knives and the like.

I didn't think twice about it at first but then noticed- a) he claimed to be local yet had a geordie accent (newcastle is a good 2.5 hour away) and B) this "mentor" he was with didn't come up the drive or even park at the bottom and chose to park a good 400 metres from the bottom of our drive

I called the police and they told me no such scheme currently existed in our area.

Funnily enough, the next night i was woken up by my two dogs barking. Got my dad to come over, and someone had broken a window and tried to get in.

What freaks me out though the most is that either- a) it was someone we know to of known when my boyfriend works or b) someone had been watching the house.

Not a problem now, as they stupidly went to another house in the village with the same story and the guy had CCTV which he passed on to the police and there was a notice about it and a arrest being made in our parish newsletter.

Made my boyfriend fork out for a new alarm that is dog proof and can be set when someone is in bed upstairs.

Horrible to of happened really.

Omg a man did the exact same thing in our old area too! Scary.

Did he knock on the door in the dark? That's what the guy did in to us. There was a car parked outside, a dark BMW with a guy in it and engine running. And when he went, another car pulled up and doubled parked next to it, and they were talking. All looked dodgy

Having already been burgled at knife point a couple of years ago it terrifies me and I haven't had a decent sleep since, nor has my OH. I hate going to bed, I spend half the night laid awake listening for noises despite having a baseball bat at the side of my bed.

:hugs: squidge. It terrifies me too. Hubby thankfully rarely goes away, but when he does i'm in panic mode at night. I sleep with the light on, mobile at my side and usually a remote for a weapon. I live in such a quiet area but it really could happen anywhere :(.

Having already been burgled at knife point a couple of years ago it terrifies me and I haven't had a decent sleep since, nor has my OH. I hate going to bed, I spend half the night laid awake listening for noises despite having a baseball bat at the side of my bed.

:hugs::hugs:

I remember that, I'm so sorry you're still effected by it. These scum don't think about how their selfish actions will impact on somebody's life so bad :growlmad:

Honestly they don't care how they get in or how it'll affect you, all they're after is stuff to sell to get money.

Please take that extra couple of minutes just to double check every window & door before you go to bed :hugs:

Yes I suffer with bad anxiety and it got ten times worse when I had two incidences of men banging on the door demanding to me let them in at like 11 at night, I had to call the police both times as its just me and LO I was so scared for her safety unfortunately they disappeared just before the police arrived both times, that's the main reason I got Apollo (our dog) I wanted another dog anyway but was going to wait a while (we lost the dogs I grew up with two years before), so now we have Apollo (German shepherd x) who is the most amazing family dog and also very protective of his family and wouldn't allow stranger to just walk into the house, I don't want him to attack an intruder but he makes a good deterrent and also helps me to know if someone tries to break in as he would go mad barking, so I could call the police straight away, he makes me feel so much safer and I've had him nearly 2 years now and have had no people banging on the door in the middle of the night since I got him :). so my answer is if you can have a dog get one, they are a great family member and Burglar deterrent

Yes I suffer with bad anxiety and it got ten times worse when I had two incidences of men banging on the door demanding to me let them in at like 11 at night, I had to call the police both times as its just me and LO I was so scared for her safety unfortunately they disappeared just before the police arrived both times, that's the main reason I got Apollo (our dog) I wanted another dog anyway but was going to wait a while (we lost the dogs I grew up with two years before), so now we have Apollo (German shepherd x) who is the most amazing family dog and also very protective of his family and wouldn't allow stranger to just walk into the house, I don't want him to attack an intruder but he makes a good deterrent and also helps me to know if someone tries to break in as he would go mad barking, so I could call the police straight away, he makes me feel so much safer and I've had him nearly 2 years now and have had no people banging on the door in the middle of the night since I got him :). so my answer is if you can have a dog get one, they are a great family member and Burglar deterrent

Hubby wants us to get a german shepherd, I have to admit it would probably make me feel much safer (obviously we wouldn't raise him to be aggressive against an intruder! But they just seem loyal and would scare me as an intruder!) but the amount of work of a dog scares me even more so when hubby is away lol! Will definitely consider it when our baby is a bit older, I've never grown up with a dog (hubby had 4!!)

It's weird day or night...carrying knives around to sell?!

I agree with the dog thing. Falling that keep a nice big baseball bat in your house.

Ahh we were going to get a dog for safety (even though I bloody hate pets, I'd have gotten used to it!) - then my mum got one and we found out Lucas is allergic :(

Hubby wants us to get a german shepherd, I have to admit it would probably make me feel much safer (obviously we wouldn't raise him to be aggressive against an intruder! But they just seem loyal and would scare me as an intruder!) but the amount of work of a dog scares me even more so when hubby is away lol! Will definitely consider it when our baby is a bit older, I've never grown up with a dog (hubby had 4!!)

Dog aren't that hard im a single mum I got Apollo when LO was just over a year old and Apollo was 9 weeks old, LO comes on most of his walks unless she's ill then I have a friend or family member come round and watch her while I take him out, if I had a garden and LO was ill then Apollo would happily just play for an hour in the garden and be let out for regular toilet breaks for a day or so, I don't have a garden so he has to be walked properly 2-3 times a day, my friend walks her dog once a day for about an hour and she has constant access to their garden too. LO loves our walks we go to the beach, the local common and to the park, she happily walks for over 2 hours now (before I used to have a back carrier for when she got tired) she even loves going out in the rain. I would wait until a time when you OH will be around for a while so he could do most of the the major training and things if you've never had a dog before unless you want to try it yourself.

Plus they are great family members too. Apollo and LO are attached at the hip and always getting up to mischief together, he checks on her before we go to bed every night (goes to her bed and sniffs her to make sure she's there and ok) and will even wake her up in the morning if asked to by snuffling in her ear :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->