Buying a Used Car Seat

Kelly M

Reaction score
My husband found a nice car seat and base that looks to be in good condition. It doesn't expire until December 2014 which would be perfect since our baby will outgrow it shortly before then. I checked the recall list and it hasn't been recalled. However, he FOUND it and doesn't know whether or not it has been in an accident. The visual inspection of it shows no fraying on the straps or cracks in the plastic but everything I have read says if you don't know, you shouldn't use it. It's not worth it to me, if there are invisible stress fractures in the plastic from a previous accident and I would rather take the seat my sister is giving me knowing it is safe. He insists that we should use it and that nothing is wrong with it. It's our baby's life at risk if it isn't a safe seat anymore but how do I convince him otherwise? Also, this article from the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration says that a seat probably does not need to be replaced if there are no visible damages to it. But it's the only thing I could find that says that. Everything else says it could have invisible damage that compromises the safety of the seat. Here's the article: https://www.jdsupra.com/post/documentViewer.aspx?fid=b7540a69-cea7-47fd-94b7-68209a626108

So, my questions are: What do you think? Is there enough research out there to prove that invisible damage is a possible threat to the safety of the seat? How can I prove to my husband that we should just get a new one or take the one from my sister, a trusted source? I need help convincing him to not use it or convincing me that I am being paranoid and it probably works jus fine. To me, the risk just isn't worth it. Period. Even if we had to buy a new one, it's only a couple hundred bucks vs. our babies life if something were to happen with the used one.

I doubt there is any real risk in it... The moons would have to align for anything to actually happen, chances are you won't even get in an accident in the next year and a half, but if you really feel uncomfortable using it, just toss it in the trash when he's not looking, it won't be much of a discussion after that. Men get over these things quicker than we do.

Side note: if you think something is unsafe of makes you nervous, you don't have to explain yourself or convince anyone, your kid, your rules :)

It turns out it is the same exact brand as one we are supposed to get from my sister. Only thing is hers is pink and we don't want a pink one so I just stole the black and red visor and padding from the one he found and am going to slap that on the seat we're getting from her. At least I can trust it's safe since it's coming from my sister vs. this one we don't know about. I threw it the dumpster and he'll just have to deal. We don't need two car seats anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->