c-section...d'oh!

Tigerlily01

Reaction score
Well, I'd been hoping for a natural (possibly water) birth with midwives at a low-risk hospital, but due to some complications, I'm now having a c-section at 36-38 weeks, at a high-risk hospital, with an OB. Quite a mental shift!! :dohh:

I already put a deposit down on a Hypnobabies class, which starts this weekend, and I'm wondering if it will still be useful even if I'm having a section? OH thinks we should still go, because it might help keep me calm during the pregnancy and leading up to the surgery, especially since hospitals stress me out. Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone have experience breastfeeding after a c-section, and if so, is there anything I should know/ask about? I've heard sometimes it's harder to get going, but not sure what I should do to prepare for that? Suggestions appreciated, since I'd really like to BF!

Sorry you've had to change your plans. Are you happy about their reasons for a cs? Sometimes it's still worth looking into your options and getting more than one oppinion. Of course it may just be that a cs really is the best choice. Birth is one of those things we need to be ready to be flexible about and lots of ladies have had lovely birth experiences with a cs.

I can't give personal experience but some ladies have had still found their classes useful. It's often still possible to have delayed cord clamping and imediate skin to skin with a cs. Make sure you get the help you need to BF. Getting help to find a good position to feed in lying down can be the key.

Thank you! I actually called the hypnobabies lady this morning, and she said there are some cesarean specific tracks she can give me to listen to, so that sounds good. :thumbup: And the doctor said I can hold baby in the OR if everything is going well, I'll have to ask about skin-to-skin but I don't see why not if I'm allowed to hold the baby anyway.

Yes, the reason for the c-section is complete placenta previa (among other things), and it has shown no signs of moving, so I'm happy with the decision...so a vaginal birth probably isn't an option in my case unfortunately. They'll do another ultrasound at 34 weeks just in case, but not holding my breath!

Ah yes, not really many options with complete placenta previa, unless it moves :). Sounds like you are making plans to get the best out of the experience. It's nice your doc seems willing to work with you.

Have a look on line at natural c sections too and maybe make a plan based around that with your dr. So involves stuff like lighting, noise, lowering drap to see the baby, baby coming out slowly to mimic a vaginal delivery, immediate skin to skin, delay cord cutting etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->