C - Section feedback - please help me!!!

Livebythesea

Reaction score
If you have had a c section can you please let me know how you recovered, if you have subsequent problems (scar tissue, bladder problems) that you don't think you would have had with a vaginal delivery and why you had it done? My brother is a physician and said the baby's lungs get a beneficial squeeze with vaginal delivery to get fluid out of their lungs, they get my good flora in the birth canal etc - so much to consider!

I am coming over from third trimester. My EDD is in two weeks and my baby is almost estimated to be 9.5 pounds. If they're right he could be about 10.5 pounds upon delivery. My mother birthed very large babies and had many incontinence issues later on in life. I spoke with my doctor about my concerns about delivering a large baby two months ago and she said we wouldn't do a c section for a large baby unless he's 11 or 12 pounds.

I spoke to her yesterday and based on my previous concerns and that he could easily be over 10 pounds, there is an increased risk of shoulder dystocia etc she said I could elect a c section next week.

I'm trying to make an informed decision and understand the risks with shoulder dystocia, having a c section vs vaginal birth.

I also have a history of depression and trying to limit the trauma of birth if at all possible. I spoke with a doula who said in her experience she believes that having a traumatic birth sometimes will spur depression - obviously not science over here but just another thing I'm thinking about.

Many thank for any response!

First of all, I was told the same as you, that my LO would be close to 10 lbs (he only ended up 8 lbs 10 oz). I decided to be induced shortly after learning this information. I was at 4cm for about 4 hours with no progress, but my contractions were coming fast and strong. The doctors suggested I had a c-section since it didn't seem to be moving along the way it should be. I decided to go for it. It went by extremely quickly, Eli was pulled out in about 4 minutes, it was crazy! The recovery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They kept me medicated at the hospital, but not so much that I wasn't aware what was going on. Once I left the hospital I was a little late taking my medication and had a lot of pain, but that was the worst of the recovery. I'd say within a week I was just taking over the counter pain medicine. Hope that helps.

DS was 98th centile on scan and born closer to 50th.

If there is likely to be an issue with pushing the baby out then this will show in your labour which will be slow. Right now you don't know if there will be an issue with your labour or not. I would say go for a natural birth and have in your birth plan that if there are signs its slowing down you are comfortable going for a c-section.

I've had both a c-section and a vaginal birth (forceps). Vaginal birth is a LOT easier to recover from.

For all mine was an emergency c-section it was a very positive experience!
DD1 had tilted her head too far back and was pushing into my pelvis, so was basically stuck! (I had been pushing for over an hour!). Is she had been a single they would have used forceps or ventouse to help her out, but by this point Id been in labour for 46 hours and they were worried about DD2.
Afterwards, yes it was painful, but I found that as long as I kept up with pain relief, I set a reminder on my phone as life with newborn twins was slightly hectic!!, I was fine. Infact I stopped the pain relief before my perscription had run out.
I found the worst bit was getting in and out of bed, up and down of settee, etc. Once I was up, or down, I was fine!

Good luck! Xxx

First of all, I was told the same as you, that my LO would be close to 10 lbs (he only ended up 8 lbs 10 oz). I decided to be induced shortly after learning this information. I was at 4cm for about 4 hours with no progress, but my contractions were coming fast and strong. The doctors suggested I had a c-section since it didn't seem to be moving along the way it should be. I decided to go for it. It went by extremely quickly, Eli was pulled out in about 4 minutes, it was crazy! The recovery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They kept me medicated at the hospital, but not so much that I wasn't aware what was going on. Once I left the hospital I was a little late taking my medication and had a lot of pain, but that was the worst of the recovery. I'd say within a week I was just taking over the counter pain medicine. Hope that helps.

Thank you! Can you let me know if you've had any physical problems? Bladder problems? Lots of scar tissue etc? Thanks

Mine was an emcs; lo was back to back and 10lb 1oz but my reason for a section was non progressive labour.

I had a positive experience, more so because my labour was so long before they chose the section. They told me afterwards that I would never have gotten the baby out naturally due to her size and position which worried me after the section as they were pushing for a natural birth (I was stuck at 9cm for 3 hours before I reduced back to 6cm).

As for the recovery, mine was really good. Sure I ached and was in pain but its major surgery so that is to be expected. I didn't have any other children and I didn't have much support in terms of family around when my oh went back to work. I struggled more in the hospital after a section with a big baby...getting of the bed and putting her in their cot things was not easy and I discharged myself after two days because I needed help.

I would say I have back ache a lot since having lo and can get ached at times (it's manageable though) so maybe that's the only thing I'd say is different than before. That and my scar! Ha.

I'm opting for an elective should we have another child.

X

P.s. no bladder control issues here!

X

Thank you! Can you let me know if you've had any physical problems? Bladder problems? Lots of scar tissue etc? Thanks

No physical or bladder problems :happydance: The scaring took awhile to go down, but it wasn't a problem!

I had an emergency C-section due to bleeding. My son was stillborn due to a rare cord problem that was undetected. Taking that out of the equation, the C-section was no problem. I was sore, but it wasn't bad. I had no problems, no infections, and really minimal discomfort. I plan to have another with any subsequent pregnancies.

I had an emergency C-section due to bleeding. My son was stillborn due to a rare cord problem that was undetected. Taking that out of the equation, the C-section was no problem. I was sore, but it wasn't bad. I had no problems, no infections, and really minimal discomfort. I plan to have another with any subsequent pregnancies.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I think the difference between elective and emergency can be quite different in recovery etc. I had EMC with LO and it really took it out of me. I was in pain for quite a while but then I had also contracted a urine infection and anaemia s they played their part in the pain and discomfort! However a friend had an elective and recovered very well and very quickly. That sad my scar is amazing! So small and so neat, I've not really had any problems with it. Everything else is as it was before-no bladder problems etc. however, I can't spear form experience about have a vaginal delivery or big baby, LO was a dink at 6lb 3oz. Good luck with ur choice Hun :)

I had a Emcs after catching a infection in hospital (was left too long after waters breaking) & LO heart rate was dropping each time I had a contraction. Anyways I was up and out of bed the morning after section, I did struggle moving in and out of bed/couch first few days. Afyer I'd say a week and all pain meds I felt fine, no back pain, no stomach pains, hardly any lochia. We then had a car crash (9 days after cs) all the pain returned and worse, im now 4 weeks after cs and fully recovered. I'd deffo opt for a planned section next time round. In theory it took me around a week to feel fine and able do stuff. No bladder problems either x

I had an emergency section with my first. Everything went well..... That was until I had my second, the scar tissue from my first was horrendous. Scar tissue had become attached to my bladder, bowels and abdominal wall and in the end I lost near 3L of blood whilst the consultant attempted to fight through the scar tissue. I also have never regained feeling in the lower part of my stomach which isn't bothersome however I now have a scar about the size of a 10p coin as I was in so much pain after section so used a hot water bottle which gave me a nasty burn as I couldn't feel it burning my skin.

Given the extent of scar tissue, I have been advised not to have any more children due to the risks involved. I have also been told that abdominal surgery of any kind will be risky for me.

Obviously I have had 2 sections which were beyond my control for health reasons but I would 100% encourage any woman to at least attempt a vaginal delivery as the risks to future pregnancy s is much lower. I never in a million years expected my 1st section to have such a bearing on my 2nd and I'm certainly not brave enough to risk a 3rd.

That said, many women have multiple sections which are problem free, I suppose I was just one of the unlucky ones :( xx

I had an amazing c-section - check out my birth story. Xx

I had an elective after 1 forceps delivery and 1 3rd degree tear. I didnt want to risk further damage. Csection was great!! No bladder scarring problems, think your stomach dosent quite go down the same as with a natural. At first you get more of a flap of skin over the scar area but mines now gone down enough to not have this. Recovery was no more painful than either of my previous births, not that I'm having anymore but I'd definately chose csection over natural again ;) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->