c section question!

lollylou1

Mummy to Belle and preg
Reaction score
i am not sure if i am going to end up having a section yet as baby is breech but i am hoping the baby will turn, but i dont know anyone to ask these questions so thought some of you on here may be able to help.

what happens when you go into hospital for c section?

do they let your partner stay longer than normal if you have had a section?

do you still bleed as much as you do with natural birth or not?

sorry to be so nosey girls just feeling bit in the dark and cant believe i dont know anyone who has had a section

thanks in advance
Lou
xxx

Hi hun,
I had a section with first DS and I thought it would be awful but I actually loved it.
I went in the night before the op and the consultant and super man who would be giving me my spinal block came and sat with me for 20 minutes explaining everything and what would happen.

So nil by mouth that night,next morning I was told I was booked in at 9.00am.
Hubby arrived and family and I walked to theatre with hubby more nervous than I was.
While they prepped me hubby went and got his scrubs on and made me laugh LOL

Then I had the spinal block and was talked through it all.
When they were 110% certain I was numb waist down they lifted me onto trolley and I was taken into the theatre next door.
I had the radio on,my consultant was doing the surgery,he kept cracking jokes,there seemed to be loads of staff in there.
I had my spinal block man one side who was there if I got scared and hubby right next to me.

It seemed very fast,I felt nothing,just tugging and then my son was screaming the room down!

I don't think I bled as much as my normal delivery second time.They send for blood as a backup but I never needed atransfusion or anything.

Hubby was right with me the whole time and then I went to recovery with DS and hubby.

Visiting hours were 9am-9pm for hubby :)

My SIL just had a section because her baby was breech and she was scared but afterwards was very happy with it.

Good post lollylou!! ill we watching this thread seen as i might have to have one too!!

I had 2 c sections. It is over very quickly. You will feel a slight scratch in your lower back where they numb the area to put the larger needle in (which you wont feel), after about 5 mins they will test to see if you can feel anything before making 100% sure that you are fully numb. It only takes about 10 mins from the time they open you up to get te baby out, its the stitching up afterwards that takes ages about half an hour. Like cybermum says you are then put onto the recovery ward with baby and OH while they monitor you, blood pressure etc and make sure baby is feeding then back to the ward.
You will find that once you regain feeling in your legs (will take a few hours) staff will have you up and about, it does feel funny at first almost like you´re too scared to stand up straight.......!! I never had any pain with my first afterwards but with my 2nd a bit of discomfort so take up the offer of pain killers!! Trapped wind can occur as well, because you´ve been opened and this can be uncomfortable. I personally didnt mind have 2 c sections, the only thing is the recovery afterwards.... not being able to lift alot or do anything too strenuous you will find hard..... Hope this helps...

Ive had all my kids by section.
With the last 2 (planned sections) i stayed in over night and they started to prep me at 8am (this time im going in on the morning of the op).
I was wheeled down to a room near the theatre where they did the last of my prepping, they put my cathatar bag in before i had any anestetic, that wasent pleasant, and put a drip in the back of my hand.
Last time they had an emergency and i had to wait a couple of hours (with the cathatar bag in), just thought id tell you that as it could happen to you.
They took me to theatre and a midwife was pushing my shoulders down while they out the the spinal in then layed me down, while they was doing this, my hubby was sent to put some scrubs on. They tested with ice to make sure i was numb, then they got started.
Its all quick from this point, about 10 minutes after they started the baby was out and being cleaned and weighed while they got on with stitching me up again, this took about 20-30 minutes.
You then get took to recovery for a while.
Providing everything is ok with you and bubs, you all go back upto the ward together.
Something i dont think ive seen metioned on here before is the sexy stockings you get to wear, knee high ones with a hole in the heal, these help reduce the chance of hemorages (sp?)
One very important tip ill give you is dont try to sit up too soon, wait an hour or 2, i tried last time and burst my scar open, nothing major, they just put a pressure dressing on it.
After a few hours they will urge you to get up out of bed, its feels a bit weird at first but you soon get the knack.
I cant remember how long it is until the remove the drip and cathatar bag.
You stay in hospital for 3-5 days, depends on how you and bubs are.

A couple of tips for you to think about.
It hurts your scar when you cough, laugh, sneeze, sit up , turn over and a few more thing, but you'll figure them out. Use your hand or a pillow to support your scar, just put it over it and apply a bit of pressure.
For turning over, sitting up ect, make sure you let your arms and legs take the weight and do the supporting.
Let your hubby do the running around for the days following, you can very easily strain your self and you get tired very quickly too, your body will heal quicker if you rest and give it a chance.
Thats about all i can think of, ive probably missed somethings.

Hi Hon, I had 2 sections and they were both ok! Pretty much as the other girls have said BUT... I was watching Portland babies the other day and a lady on there had a breech baby and the midwife told her to put a bag of frozen peas where babys head was because that can make the baby want to turn!! I don't know how effective it is but if thats the advice the Portland give then I'd give it a go!!! HTH xx

think enigma has covered it all cant really add anything else. mine was an emergency section and i was in bed for nearly a day and half. and go careful my stiches open i ended up with an infection and having to get it redressedeveryday for about a month x

thanks ladies, its all a bit daunting and for me i have no idea which birth im going to be having hopefully i will get a better idea of whats going on after the midwife tomorrow

Lou
xxx

Hey ladies....I had to have emergency c-section for my first and Im having an elected c-section for my 2nd...I actually wasnt scared at all! I enjoyed watching all the hub of activity (which there is a lot of!:winkwink: there seems to be a lot of people in theatre!)...also afterwards you dont bleed nearly as much as you would do if you were delivering vaginally (sp?)...I only packed 2 packs of maternity pads instead of the 4 packs they ask to pack! And it was enough! Yes they let you hubby stay in longer (he doesnt have to obey the visiting rules!:winkwink: And depending on your hospital etc ...he is aloud to spend the nights with you to help with bonding etc...(well they do that here anyway, if you get a room to yourself!)...so you will be fine darl! There is nothing to be scared about! Oh apart from the wicked case of gas afterwards! :blush: as they pump you full of air to make sure there are no tears rips etc...so until all the air gets passed...you will be farting like a trooper!:rofl: :shy: sorry! Maybe hubby might not want to stay the night once he knows that! :rofl:
Hope this helps darl!:hugs: Good luck and hope bubby turns! BTW I suppose you have tried crawling around on your hands and knees around the lounge every chance you get? Also I recomend to walk UP stairs....go to your local mall and take the lift down to the bottom level...then walk up the stairs (everywhere has stairs! :winkwink: )...it worked for me! Even though I still had to have c-section...but that was coz the shape of my pelvis! I cant deliver vaginally...have to have c-section every time!

GOOD LUCK SWEETY :flower:

Thanks for posting this, I too might have to have a c section for the same reason.

I have to have a scan on Monday to see if the baby is breech.

Let us know how it goes for you hun, good luck, try to relax as much as possible.
Take care.
:hugs:

Yes like the ladies said ,its important to get mobile pretty soon after the section to encourage the blood flow around your body.
I was able to walk a few hours afterwards ,though slightly bent over LOL
I thought if I straightened up fully I would topple over ,which of course I wouldn't :)

I'm having an elective C...great thread!

I'm wondering how painful it is to move around and do ordinary stuff for baby after you get home from the hospital, like bathing and changing their diapers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->