Caffeine and miscarriages?.....

Discussion in 'TTC After A Loss' started by JPARR01, Jun 1, 2011.

1. JPARR01

JPARR01 2 girls and 1 boy otw!

So I just found this article on AOL news and it freaked me out.
    https://www.parentdish.com/2011/05/.../?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl14|sec3_lnk1|67112

I always new that caffeine was not good for you etc.. but I think this is what caused my suspected ectopic back in March. I would drink like a sugar free red bull a day!!!! NO MORE CAFFEINE FOR ME!!!!!

If I ovulate next month around like the 24th, and I stop drinking caffeine now... do you think it could still affect me?? :dohh::cry::sad2:

2. MRS_HJO

MRS_HJO Well-Known Member

I've BEEN drinking caffeine THIS cycle.... Def. have cut it down, but still. NO MORE. I would think if you stopped drinking it now you should be okay friend. Thank you for sharing this.

3. kiki04

kiki04 A girl can dream....

Honey calm down :hugs: One red bull each day would NEVER be enough to take your baby :hugs: I promise :hugs: Caffeine is not good for you, in large amounts. :hugs:

4. Girlnextdoor

Girlnextdoor Well-Known Member

It has been linked to higher rates of miscarriage. With both of my mc's I was having the occasional caffeine. But, I have finally kicked the habit for good now and plan to stay completely off it. I think if you quit now you will not be affected by it next month. I wanted to quit ahead of time so I'm not tempted to have it even during the 2ww. I do miss it though :coffee:

5. LWood

LWood Well-Known Member

I quit the caffeine too. Get ready for the withdrawal headaches you may get for a day or two!!

6. TraceC

TraceC Pregnant 1st Trimester

I never drink Coffee, I hate it. I avoid Energy Drinks these days cause they make me feel sick, however I am a bit of a Coke girl :) Once I found out we had conceived our darling little Angel, I stopped touching anything caffene.

7. JPARR01

Forget the headaches! I feel bad for whoever gets to talk to me face to face. I'm sure I will be bi*chy!

8. kiki04

kiki04 A girl can dream....

I did cut out the caffeine as in no more coffee but I did still enjoy the occasional coke :(

9. lisap2008

lisap2008 Well-Known Member

Many studies have linked caffeine to M/C. so I stopped drinking it too.

10. tinkerbelle2

tinkerbelle2 Mummy & a loss May2011

I always have and always will drink caffeine, I cut back a while ago before my m/c I thought it was causing bloating, so had nothing to do with my m/c, when pregnant with my dd I continued drinking round 4 or 5 cups a day no problem, but I guess everyone is different, maybe if your a higher caffeine drinker for quite a few your body is more used to it?

11. mamadonna

mamadonna Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing that,time to switch to decaf as i do like the occasional cup of coffee:coffee:

12. Babybaba

Babybaba Well-Known Member

I quit caffine too.... Decaf all the way for me! Lol! Can't tell the difference now... I reckon if I had full blown coffee I'd be bouncing off the Walls!
    Lol

xo

13. Girlnextdoor

Girlnextdoor Well-Known Member

tinkerbelle, i drank several cups of coffee a day when i was pregnant with my son too because i didn't know i was pregnant for a long time! he was fine. that is why i didn't take it that seriously at first. with my first mc, i was drinking one small cup per day. with my 2nd mc, i stopped coffee, but i was drinking 1-2 chai tea lattes per week.

i doubt the occasional tea latte was enough to do anything, but since I've had so many mc's i just want to be extra careful next time.

jparr, i felt totally drained and exhausted for 2 weeks when i stopped drinking my coffee :cry: just to make you guys feel less guilty, when i lived in The Netherlands (the LOVE their coffee!), i had a few pregnant friends and one was told no more than 5 cups of coffee per day, the other was told 3 cups per day :haha: the dutch kids all seem to turn out fine :shrug:

14. JPARR01

Funny thing is I hate coffee (unless its Iced Coffee). I LOVE Sugar Free Red Bull!!!!! I think it is the greatest tasting drink ever. LOLOLOL

15. Twinkl3

Twinkl3 DD - 2014 ♡ DS - 2018

I switched partially to Decaf when I found out I was pg.
    Now I've completely cut it out, I only drink Decaf coffee, tea & coke now :D