Caffeine, Claritin, Acne treatments, Alcohol & Lunch meat.. holy TTC.

mkyerby16

Reaction score
Sooo being a month out from TTC I'm taking a good hard look at my life and what needs to change to give us the best possible chance to conceive and to have a healthy pregnancy & baby. There are so many things that I never even thought of before. Here are the ones that are on my mind right now.

#1: Caffeine... Now this one I had heard to avoid or limit during pregnancy, but upon research everything seems to say 200mg is safe. Sooo I was planning on not worrying about that one too much, just make sure I don't over do it. But now I'm seeing women stop caffeine when TTC because it could affect conceiving... what is up with that? Are you giving up caffeine completely? I'm not a coffee drinker, but I will have a couple of Pepsi's or something a week, a little chocolate here and there, and the wild strawberry Crystal Light that I'm literally addicted to does have some caffeine... oh it also has aspartame which reminds me that this too is said to be a no-no in pregnancy.
Did you Dr. tell you to avoid aspartame or any other artificial sweetners?

#2: Claritin... any fellow allergy sufferers out there? Did you keep taking allergy meds or stop them all together? I'm thinking I want to stop just in case. However, I've been taking Claritin for a few years now every single day year round. Any time I've tried to stop I end up itching and them eventually a couple of hives pop up (never had this before starting the Claritin except for when I came in contact with Tide laundry soap, which I do not use now) Not sure if it's just some weird reaction to my body being so used to the Claritin, or if I'm actually allergic to something.. my dog maybe?? So it would be much easier to just keep on poppin them everyday, but I might try again to stop in the next few weeks and just suck it up even though I want to claw my skin off.

#3: Acne Treatments... I still need to ask my Dr. what she reccommends, but I've read and heard soo many differing opinions on this one. Obviously serious treatments like pills/chemical peels/etc. are out, but the jury seems to be still out on otc topical benzoyl peroxide and salycilic acid treatments. I currently use both in my skincare routine and can't imagine living without them, especially when I come off the pill in a few weeks, my skin will probably freak! So I'm still not sure what I'll do on this one, maybe just cut back? I'll talk to my Dr. What do you do?

#4: Alcohol.... Obviously this one's out for those that are pregnant. I plan on stopping in the TWW as well. BUT I just saw that alcohol is a "sperm killer" and can affect TTC from the man's side. I told my hubby this last night and he's like well think about it ppl make babies when they're drunk all the time (touche hubby, touche) I'm still making him stop when I think I'm in my fertile window though. Did your OH stop?

#5:Lunch Meat.. what the heck sorry I may be living under a rock, but I never had a clue this was a no-no when pregnant (unless heated of course). I never though a sandwich or subway would have to be out my life for 9 months. That's just crazy talk. Note to self... eat lots and lots of Subway and sandwiches in the next month to get it out of my system!! haha

Anything else you want to add to this list? Things you've stopped personally, things you never knew about before TTC, crazy things many people might not think about like lunch meat? haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->