caffeine?

smashley

1st bun in the oven
Reaction score
Is it really that bad? My dr said I can have up to 200mg a day (I never have this much).

I'm trying to quit caffeine altogether for this baby's sake, but I feel a 3-day withdrawal headache coming on. This is going to be rough.

No, it's not that bad. And it's certainly not worth it to cut it out completely if it gives you a headache.
One thing in all my pregnancies i've never changed is my caffeine intake, and the only people who ever comment to me about it are the idiots who've never been pregnant :)
so.. go, get a cuppa and relax!

Yep, would be a lot easier to cut-down rather than cut-out.

I totally went off tea throughout the whole of the pregnancy but started loving it again a few weeks ago. I'm having 1 or 2 cups a day.

I quit coffee though but I hardly drank any in the first place.

OH has been guilt-tripping me about my morning coffee. He said the baby's going to come out all jittery. He's one of the idiots who's never been pregnant. ;)

I drink about one cup of coffee a day, I make the half-caf kind. Occasionally I have a diet pepsi. Don't feel bad, most doctors will tell you as long as it's not too much it's fine!
:coffee::coffee:

I have about the same in tea and the occsional decaf frothy coffee, but I do love really strong coffee and am sure give the chance the amount of caffienne I used to have a day prob exceeded 200mg and some so I by choice am steering clear, plus having just read this on coffee am glad I have:)

xx

Effects of Caffeine on Your Baby
Caffeine is thought to pose certain risks during pregnancy. Though researchers debate how much caffeine is acceptable during pregnancy, there is evidence to suggest than any amount will cause some physical effects on your little one. This is because caffeine passes through your placenta and is absorbed by your baby. Adults are able to break down caffeine fairly quickly, thanks to chemicals inside of our body. However, your developing baby can't do this as efficiently. This means that caffeine will be stored inside of his blood for longer periods of time, and could reach dangerously high levels.

Caffeine also affects other aspects of your baby's health. It is known to increase your baby's heart rate and may affect how much he moves in utero. Because caffeine is a diuretic, it can also affect the nutrition your baby receives from you. Caffeine intake may cause you to absorb less iron and calcium from foods, a possible detriment to your baby's overall fetal development.

Coffee and Miscarriage
Recent studies have focused on the effects of coffee intake during pregnancy. A large-scale Danish study polled more than 80,000 pregnant women regarding their coffee intake. This study found that women who drank large amounts of coffee during pregnancy were more likely to experience a miscarriage. Women who drank more than 2 cups of coffee a day had a slightly increased risk of miscarriage, while those that drank 8 or more cups experienced a 59% increase. This is why it is so important to watch your caffeine intake during pregnancy.

Interestingly, this Danish study found that this considerably greater risk of miscarriage was specific to coffee. Other caffeinated beverages and foods did not present the same significant increase, leading researchers to believe that other chemicals contained in coffee could possibly play a role in causing miscarriage.

With regards to having an increase chance of miscarriage of 59% if you drink 8 cups of coffee a day - that sounds more like a lifestyle issue to me. If you drink that much coffee, there are probably a lot of other factors in your life that may affect your pregnancy (for example stressful job).

Thanks for posting that though, very interesting.

im soo addicted to caffeine i try my best to avoid it but lately all im craving is pepsi, dr pepper, pepsi max and coca cola.. i cant stop drinking it -_-

I cut down my caffine intake but still enjoy the odd cup of tea or glass of coke especially when I am working and need a pick-me-up. I drink about 2 - 3 cups of tea a day. Sometimes I treat myself to a Costa Mocha but if I do that then theres no more caffine for me that day. The guidelines say 200mg a day so don't feel guilty about your morning coffee.

I have to have between 2-3 cups of tea, or coffee, a day to keep my mood stable. It's weird, but I noticed when I wasn't drinking my tea my mood would often slip.
I used to have 2-3 cups of strong coffee a day before being pregnant. Now I generally stick to tea, which hasn't got as much caffeine in as coffee.

i switched from 2 huge cups of coffee a day to 1 decaff coffee with a splash of regular coffee in it. if i want another hot drink, i just have green tea or hot chocolate. a little bit of caffene is ok, as long as you are not drinking 3+ cups a day

I drink more than 3 cups of tea a day but I don't have anything else with caffeine in it like coffee, coke or chocolate. My DD turned out perfectly and a v healthy 9lb2oz and I wouldn't be able to get through the day without a caffeine fix - trying to balance childcare, work & being pregnant is knackering, esp when your DD was up 3 times in the night... *yawn* :)

with all my pregnancies i never cut out caffeine. I get migraines and i'd rather drink the caffiene than take a pill with that and other stuff in it (prescribed Fiorcet) . I drink a cup of coffee about 4 times a week and about 2 sodas (pepsi, mt dew, whatever) throughout each day. I also crave chocolate and eat that when the mood strikes. My kids are health, happy and not 'jittery' LOL.

Our first baby was preterm (about 5 weeks) and born with developmental delay. High doses of caffeine was consumed during pregnancy, around 2 cups, 2 soda cans, on a daily basis til birth. Baby was born with low birth weight and small head circumference. Child have lots of medical issues. All genetics testing thus far have returned negative.

Currently, in the third trimester with the second baby after waiting six years for a second. Caffeine intake was decreased significantly and the baby thus far is normal. We are not blaming the caffeine with the problems of our first child, but it could be a factor as some studies have shown.

Caffeine does have different effect on different people and there is no benefit to the baby. Don't risk it and cut down on your intake.

Just found out my fave caffeine drink only has 150 mg in it.... So thats make me very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->