Caffiene and Benadryl

taylor2

Reaction score
Hi ladies.. quick question for anyone who may know... As I stated before, I haven't seen a doctor yet, and it could be at least another month before I do see one...so my question is this: Is anyone else drinking coffee in the first trimester? If so, how much? Also, I read that Benadryl is safe to use during pregnancy, but could not find any articles on use during the first trimester. I read that sometimes doctors will prescribe it for morning sickness (nausea, vomiting). I have been taking it for sleep as I have been waking up all hours of the night and sometimes can't get back to sleep... sometimes it makes me VERY groggy and was wondering if this may have an adverse affect on the baby? I avoided coffee completely during the first trimester with my first pregnancy, but this pregnancy is much more exhausting because of my 14 month old son! Again...I drink about 2 8oz cups of coffee in the morning and have been (for the last 4 nights) been taking 25 mg of Benadryl at night. Is this bad? Any thoughts, ideas and opinions will be very helpful...Thank you all!

Tay

It's probably best to limit coffee to one or 2 cups a day in your first trimester as some experts say that too much can increase your chance of mc. Others say there is little evidence as long as you're not over 5 or 6 cups a day.

Benadryl is supposedly very safe in pregnancy but as with all medication it's best to keep it to a minimum during your first trimester at least. I don't know why doctors would prescribe it for morning sickness though?

I have been taking Zantac for the tummy stuff and its working so so

I had the same questions about Benadryl. I asked my OB about it and told him I was taking it some to help me sleep. He said its fine and I can take it for morning sickness or anything like that.. I think its pretty safe. I took it alot the first few weeks of my last pregnancy, before I even knew that I was pregnant and they said it was fine then too. Its probably best not to take it all the time, just when you really need it.. All the research Ive done on it though shows that there isnt a risk of increased birth defects, etc, though they didnt say how often the women were taking it or how much. Go to google and type in pregnancy and benadryl and you will get alot of info.. I think it is best to limit it as much as you can in the first trimester though, but I have still been taking it sometimes.. I try to just take 1/2 of one (simply sleep brand) because it makes me really groggy too.

As for the coffee, I am not sure.. Might be best if you limited it to 1 cup just to be safe.. I used to drink mountain dew all the time to help wake me up but Ive stopped .. Now I just dont really feel like drinking anything but sprite or 7up...Just something light..

Anyway I hope that helps some. I know how frustrating it is to have to worry about every little thing while youre pregnant! Good luck to you!

Jen

i don't think it is very wise to rely on benadryl to take care of your morning sickness and insomnia.
ask your doctor about zofran or diclectin. those 2 drugs are the only A category drugs that are safe in pregnancy (actually tested on pregnant women).
the baby really does not need any foreign substances such as antihistamines while it is trying to develop.

not to be debbie downer, i am just very against meds in early pregnancy.

Thank you for your responses! When I do see my doctor I will ask about zofran or diclectin for the insomnia, I do not have much morning sickness. I will definitely cut back on the Benadryl. and maybe do one cup of coffee for the next few weeks. UGH! I hate being so tired in them morning and so wide awake at night!

maybe swap the coffee for tea?..slightly less caffeine at least.
I love tea and have tried cutting down. Prob have about 3 or 4 cups a day.

I read 6 should be the max, so i stay well away from that amount.

Maybe try googling the advice on coffee and the number allowable of cups?
If it's just the habit of drinking coffee, maybe try caffeine free? Or mixing half a spoon of caffeine and half a spoon of cafeine free??

my sleeping was always broken in the very early days but seems to have settled since i've got used to the idea of being pregnant. maybe just give it time, dont worry too much about not sleeping.

Yes, I like tea very much too and always have... It's not so much the coffee, but rather the caffeine that I can't seem to get by without. I stopped drinking coffee for about the first 8 weeks or so, and then the insomnia started up and I was super sluggish in the morning, so I started drinking it again..only about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I will try tea tomorrow morning and see if that helps...at least I wont be getting the harshness of the coffee!

diclectin is for morning sickness but it makes you drowsy and you fall asleep in no time!! :)

good luck wth your new tea campaign!
I feel I should cut down . ...about to have cup 5 of the day but feel i should skip it....but it's hard....It's such a big part of my routine...i dont miss alcohol one jot and havent even had a sip since being pregnant but I couldnt go without me cuppa....

god, sound like it's a drug!! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->