Caitlyn's birth story. 10 months on. [long]

snapex

Mother to 1 & WTT
Reaction score
Caitlyns birth story.
I know that it’s over 10 months since she was born so I should have posted my birth story well before now but 2 things were stopping me. 1. I didn’t join this group until she was about 4 months old, I would have love to join in while I was pregnant and go through it with people but sadly I didn’t and 2nd caitlyn’s birth wasn’t the easiest for me and I don’t like to remember it too much. But since I’ve spent the whole day watching one born every minute season 1 I thought I would finally get around to doing it while I have the time. Glenn took Caitlyn to see he’s mum and dad and to the doctors so he shouldn’t be back for another hour or so.

A little background information about the pregnancy.
When I was pregnant I couldn’t sleep at all. Every part of my body was constantly throbbing and I found it even harder to sleep on the nights I spent with Glenn because he snored and it’s not easy sharing a single bed with someone when you’re pregnant. Anyway I found out I was pregnant when I was 14 weeks, my periods have always been up and down since high school and it’s not uncommon for me to go months without one [to which I’ve later been told I could have POC or PCO how ever its shortened down]. I went to all my appointments, was immediately put on high risk care so I was getting a lot of blood tests done and back and forth to the hospital at least 3/4 times a month. I was put on it because I have Hereditary spherocytosis which is to do with the blood cells being disk shaped, low iron count and being animc. Not fun. Anyway around 24 weeks or so they found out I had in cress of fluid for reasons they don’t know & booked me in to be induced.
[EDD was 5th of March 2010]

4th march 2010.
I woke up around 6 olock from another long night awake and tried to calm my nerves as I knew I’d be going into hospital that day. Had breakfast made sure all my things were packed and was on my way to the hospital around 10.
when I got there I was taking into a room that would be mine until LO had arrived and told that someone would be along shortly to guide me through everything and start it off.
So basically I got the first gel at around 11 and was told I would be looked at again at 6 to see if I have started to dilate or not. So for those 6 hours I was walking around, trying to get LO head back into engagement as she had slipped out because of the water. I started feeling pains but they weren’t something that I would have needed gas and air for, it was just my body obviously trying to trick itself into thinking I was in labour.
Anyway 6 came and I still hadn’t dilated or anything so another gel was inserted and we said goodbye to Glenns mum and my mum when it was time for them to leave and tried to stay calm and keep busy.
12 olock came and my midwife that was on at night time has to be one of my favourites I had. Her name was Abby and I thought I’d tell you that as you might be hearing of her more. Anyway when she came back to have a look I was 0.5cm’s dilated which was sucky. So I and Glenn tried to get some sleep but that didn’t work as I was still in pain.

5th march 2010
we woke up and walked around the hospital a bit and waiting in the room for the midwife to come in and put another pill in but I didn’t get that. I got a group of consultants and midwifes and other people who came into my room and said they didn’t want to give me a third gel because it would increase the risk of a c-section and that they would send me up the ward to be there till the next day and I would be sent home and booked for induction the next day. Me and Glenn didn’t know what to say, so when his mum arrived and told us that wasn’t right and that they should at least look to see if I had dilated more and that she wasn’t willing to take me home because of the risk involved with them starting me off and me being high risk, anyway we got them to look and I was 1cm dilated. I was happy, still not moving along but I was happy.
They broke my waters at about 8 after putting another gel up and me waiting about hoping it would work and I started getting really bad pains after the 3rd one. After they broke my waters and I was in ‘labour’ but not established labour I was on gas and air for 5 hours because I couldn’t take the pain. I was throwing up everywhere, humming the tune to ‘we are sailing’ and wasn’t happy at all. I asked for the pethidine after the gas and air stopped working for me but they wouldn’t give it to me because LO was too sleepy and I wasn’t drinking enough so my heart rate was very high. In the end I got the epidural because I didn’t think I’d ever be able to take the pain. Said goodnight to my family at about 2 and tried to sleep some more, which yet again didn’t work.

6th march 2010
my midwife this morning was a gay man called Jason, he was funny and I liked him [until I was pushing]. He told me that I was 3cm’s dilated and that if I was more than 6 by the time he looked again in a few hours I’d have to go for a c-section. Thankfully when he looked I was 9 so at about 7 I started pushing as hard as I could but I was getting nowhere fast. The head was right where it should have been but she was back to back and ended up getting stuck, no one told me she was stuck though. Jason left me pushing for an hour and a half before I was talking to someone about getting a section. Even after that I was left for around 40 minutes with the urge to push and no pain relief before I was taken to the theatre.
When Caitlyn was born she had bruising and cuts all over her face where she was face up stuck against my pelvis and couldn’t get out. She was born 7 pounds 14oz and I couldn’t have been happier than I was that moment.

8th march 2010.
I was one day away from coming home when Caitlyn was seen by the peditriction. She wasn’t feeding properly because of all the trauma to her face and had a very bad case of jaundice because of it. She was taken straight down to the neonatal unit and had light therapy in nothing but her nappy for 2 days. She was moved from intensive care to special care and stayed there for 3 days. I cried harder in those 5 days than I ever have in my life. Having to go back to my bed without the cot next to me was one of the hardest things I’ve ever have to go through. 1st being leaving her there the first night when I was discharged. We finally got to take her home on the 12th of March after we got the all clear back from an mmr scan. Caitlyn had a fit the 2nd day in special care and had to have blood tests after blood tests, a lumber puncher test and an mmr to find out why it happened.

Having Caitlyn has really changed me. It’s made me stronger and made me feel like I can face the world. I know one thing for sure, if I have an increase of fluid on the next one I’m asking for a planned cestion because I will not go through all that again.
Anyway, thanks for reading it :). Sorry it was so long.

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs451.snc3/25835_380577944540_505534540_3854562_7504925_n.jpg
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs471.ash1/25835_380577949540_505534540_3854563_1698348_n.jpg

awh shes gorgeous!
Well done you :flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"