• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Calf cramps

soloso

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I stretched my leg out and I got such bad cramp on my left calf for a couple of minutes. It was really really painful, and it was sore afterwards too. Later on in the day, I stretched again and it happened, only this time, I have never ever felt pain like it. I was shouting out loud and balling my eyes out, and I'm actually not that bad with pain usually so it really really was bad. I cried for a while after it was that horrendous.

I first googled it and everything I found said its a common symptom, and I spoke with the Midwife and they said the only thing they worry about is blood clots but cos it happened when I stretched and cos there was no red mark on my calf she didn't think it was likely that at all.

Today, my calf is still in agony. I am limping around and the whole of my calf is so sore. I know it's a common symptoms but has anyone had it to this extent?

Any stories and advice would be great x

I had it during my first pregnancy. My midwife told me to drink more water and to try to eat more high potassium foods like bananas.
I hope you feel better soon.

Yes I have been advised to drink a lot of water, I dont like bananas but I will see what other foods are high in potassium. I cant even put my weight on just that leg, does anyone know if a really bad cramp/spasm can cause a pulled muscle?! My calf was rock solid during the cramp, literally as hard as a brick. X

I think it can cause pain the day after as I've had that before. I would see a doctor or midwife though if it continues.

Yesterday morning I stretched my leg out and I got such bad cramp on my left calf for a couple of minutes. It was really really painful, and it was sore afterwards too. Later on in the day, I stretched again and it happened, only this time, I have never ever felt pain like it. I was shouting out loud and balling my eyes out, and I'm actually not that bad with pain usually so it really really was bad. I cried for a while after it was that horrendous.

I first googled it and everything I found said its a common symptom, and I spoke with the Midwife and they said the only thing they worry about is blood clots but cos it happened when I stretched and cos there was no red mark on my calf she didn't think it was likely that at all.

Today, my calf is still in agony. I am limping around and the whole of my calf is so sore. I know it's a common symptoms but has anyone had it to this extent?

Any stories and advice would be great x

I had this with the last three of my pregnancies, though I would get them while asleep. It's a hell of a way to wake up, wondering if someone shot you in the leg.

It's happening when you stretch, you said, but if you're pointing your toes while you do it, then you're actually contracting the calf muscles and that can definitely bring one on.

The trick is to NOT massage the muscle, that's definitely why it hurts the next few days (from my own experience) but to bend your toes back toward your shin. You may actually need to grab your foot and pull it toward you if it's really bad, and if it's that bad, bending your knee a little will help, too. It works really quickly and without the soreness of trying to dig into already tense muscles!

Nothing helped mine (but I also spent 8-12 hours a day standing and walking and slightly dehydrated which I couldn't fix because then I'd be up every half hour to pee through the night, no thanks!) but a little extra water and potassium won't hurt. (A little extra potassium, don't go trying to quadruple it or anything, that can hurt!) Foods besides bananas that are high in potassium include oranges, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, peas, apricots, cooked spinach or broccoli, and potatoes/sweet potatoes. Check the label if you consume dairy - milk and yogurt can be good sources, too!

I hope you find more relief than I did! Good luck!

Yes x 1000. I'm having that right now for over a week. Ouch. Im going to see about a chiropractor.

I had terrible calf cramps from around 23 weeks by 3rd trimester I was having calf cramps alot and also foot and toe cramps which hurt like hell. It wud wake me up several times a night toward the end of my pregnancy.
Sadly its very very common and normol but it really is painful. The foot and toe cramps were the absolute worse.
Just outch.

I still get the odd ones now but no where near as bad.
Gosh I hated getting them cramps.

I am so happy to say the pain has eased and no more since!!! I couldnt walk on it until Monday (it happened on friday) but its better now and im praying they stay away. Feel for anyone else dealing with the same x

I am so happy to say the pain has eased and no more since!!! I couldnt walk on it until Monday (it happened on friday) but its better now and im praying they stay away. Feel for anyone else dealing with the same x

They are awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->