Calling all Prammies

Wow, have you got anymore photos?
Im dying to see the inside!x

I don't usually like those big, old-fashioned prams (despite loving everything else vintage - go figure!), but that pram is something else. It's stunning and very elegant. I would love to line it in some beautiful vintage fabric :D

Wow, have you got anymore photos?
Im dying to see the inside!x

I've got a couple of the inside but for some reason they won't load to photobucket :( ... I'll keep trying though! and once I get her home I will take loads of photo's and post them for you :thumbup:

The inside is lined with white pram vinyl - it's remarkably clean, unmarked and intact and the hood and apron linings are the same :happydance: My first priority is to get some new straps for her so that she can be hung again ... then I'm gradually going to restore her.

They do have to be lined with vinyl rather than fabric Jenny in order to cope with leaky nappies, spilt drinks etc - especially as the body is wood and the inside wood is protected by the lining rather than by coach paint. Let the inside wood get wet and you are in for a world of very expensive pain LOL.

The vintage fabric comes in for the dressing .... sheets, pillows (all these old prams had pillows for when LO could sit up), shawls, traditional quilts :cloud9: There is actually a whole community of Prammies who take these old beauties on pram walks and to heritage days to show them off - and dress in costume according to the age of their pram .... https://www.thepramsociety.com/

The thing with these old prams is that they weren't just used to push the baby outside in ... they were used as a downstairs sleeping place, a safe place for LO to sit and play away from the hustle and bustle of older children and crowded houses and a makeshift highchair. Houses didn't often have carpet back then so the floor wasn't a safe place to be LOL. They have metal rings for a harness to clip onto to keep LO safe inside and can fit a child up to 3 quite comfortably, even lying down - children virtually lived in these old girls for their first year.... social history lesson finished ;)

Hi, I have a Silvercross Carlton I'm relining and painting, but also want to recover it as the fabric has that musty storage smell, do you have any tips on what fabric to use for the hood and apron? Thanks in advance! :)

x o x o

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->