Calling UK, and particularly Scottish, users

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
We are expecting a little boy, and have narrowed our names down to the list below. I LOVE Oliver, but I'm worried about how common it will be as it's currently the number one name in the UK.
Can you tell me how many boys you know with the name? I've never met an Oliver despite it being so high in the rankings.
And how many, if any, do you know of the other names? I just don't want to give him a name that half his class will have.

Theo
Oliver
Eli (Elliot)
Archer
Ezra
Avery
Oran

I currently know 1 Oliver who is 9 years old... And my sister is having a boy and calling him Oliver :) ..

The other names I know none x

I'm in Scotland with two preschool kids so I feel qualified. :)

I know

1 Theo
1 Oliver
no Eli (Elliot)
no Archer
no Ezra
no Avery
no Oran (but absolutely LOVE the name and it's on our list for baby 3. A Gaelic speaking friend has informed me that it's "weird" calling a baby Oran though. Make of that what you will.)

I'm in Scotland with two preschool kids so I feel qualified. :)

I know

1 Theo
1 Oliver
no Eli (Elliot)
no Archer
no Ezra
no Avery
no Oran (but absolutely LOVE the name and it's on our list for baby 3. A Gaelic speaking friend has informed me that it's "weird" calling a baby Oran though. Make of that what you will.)

Thank you :)
I am Gaelic speaking! I think it's lovely - it means song. I'm glad you like it too, others seem to think it's weird.

Happy to hear the world is not awash with Olivers!!

I know it does. So it doesn't sound weird to you, naming a child that? My friend's response was "it's like calling him 'drawer' or 'table'". I've been in love with it for years though, still am.

I know it does. So it doesn't sound weird to you, naming a child that? My friend's response was "it's like calling him 'drawer' or 'table'". I've been in love with it for years though, still am.

I don't think so. Brogan is a popular name and that means shoe, haha. I think it's lovely! And song is quite a nice meaning. I feel like it doesn't matter anyway, as so few of the population are Gaelic speaking now.

I know of three Oliver's, aged 17, 7 and 6.

Two Theo's

And one Elliott

Dont know any children with the other names X

I dont know a huge amount of Olivers DS best friend is Oliver he is 9 we also know one more 9 year old Oliver :flower:

Theo - One who is a 40+ year old man
Oliver - Two both 9
Eli (Elliot) -0
Archer -0
Ezra - 0
Avery - 0
Oran- 0

We like Eli but was thinking Elijah as the full name :flower:

DD in a year of 80 have 3 Olivers, DS has 2 in his preschool class of 25 so its prettypopular for me Im afraid (its the most popular boy name for both).

I know 2 Theo (one 4 one 16) and one Elliot

I only know 2 Olivers from your list and im in Scotland.

Hmm, maybe Oliver is a bit too popular :( thanks everybody for your input. Picking a name is so, so difficult.

I don't know any kids with those names though LO isn't in school yet so we don't know a huge amount of other kids.

I also love Oran. I suggested it to my hubby (Irish version Odhran) but he isn't keen sadly.

We have an Oliver and I know of two others, but not in his class/school.

I've given up on trying to choose 'non popular' names now though. We chose Amelia and Oliver when they were both between 20 and 10 on the top names list. The next year they were both #1! We chose Eleanor this time as it was #64 last year. This year it's up to top 10 :dohh:

Not keen on Ezra and Avery but love the others and I've never met anyone with any of them.

I don't know any kids with those names though LO isn't in school yet so we don't know a huge amount of other kids.

I also love Oran. I suggested it to my hubby (Irish version Odhran) but he isn't keen sadly.

My OH isn't totally sold on Oran but I am trying to warm him to it!
thank you so much everybody for your input. I think it seems as though Oliver is the only common one on the list.

I know one Theo and one Elliott. No Olivers in real life!

I do not know any Olivers under 5. Even the top name is still a small percentage!

I know 4 Oliver's.. All toddlers around 2/3 years old. I only know one Theo. But don't know anybody with the other names you mentioned. I'm in Edinburgh. Xx

I'm in Wales and I know of 4 Olivers, ages 11, 7, 6 and 0.
Don't know anyone with the other names.
I love Oran, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"