Calling working momma's and 2nd time momma's

todmommy4568

Mom of 1 expecting #2
Reaction score
So I have two questions...

First question is for my 2nd time momma's. Last night when I took my bra off my boobs were so heavy, it was very painful, so then I felt them and it reminded me of when my breasts were full when I was breastfeeding DS. I don't remember having that feeling when I was pregnant with DS but maybe that was because I didn't have anything to compare it to :shrug: Just wondering if any 2nd time moms had this feeling and what you did for relief. I thought maybe those gel packs they make for breastfeeding moms? Any thoughts? I don't want to have this "engorged" feeling for the next 18 weeks haha

Second question is for my working momma's. How many bottles did you buy? I stayed home with DS and I had a healthy stock of storage bottles but only kept a couple of his brand of bottles on hand as he only got 2-4 bottles a week. With this LO I am planning to return to work after 6-8 weeks and then she will be at daycare full days so I am unsure of how many bottles I should get as far as storage bottles and the bottles we will use. I don't want to go overboard but I also don't want to feel like all I do is clean bottles.

Thanks for your help ladies!!

I have 4 medela bottles and 2 spectra bottles that came with my pump which I only use with the pump. Im back to work part time, im gone for 5 hours a day, and only 1 bottle gets used when Im gone. However, im not sure what you mean by storage bottles? I'm a little ahead with pumping so I store in freezer bags in 3 ounce increments. I take them down the night before and they are still partially frozen when I head out for work. I used to fill a bottle with what I pumped and leave in the fridge until I had enough to freeze until I got nervous about high lipase at one point (not even sure that's what happened but i threw away almost 12 ounces because it all smelt funny). Id say if your babe eats 2 meals at daycare, send 2 bottles. And then keep 2 home for whatever else. If you're storing milk in the fridge, just keep in mind the guidelines regarding storing. It only keeps in the fridge for 3-8 days. I try to freeze asap. Wasting breastmilk is so upsetting. And itll help get your stock started. I still feel like all im doing is cleaning bottles and pump parts. Steaming them after cleaning is a great idea too. My medela bottles seemed to have an odd smell to them so I started steaming more often in steam bags they sell.

Good luck!

So I have two questions...

First question is for my 2nd time momma's. Last night when I took my bra off my boobs were so heavy, it was very painful, so then I felt them and it reminded me of when my breasts were full when I was breastfeeding DS. I don't remember having that feeling when I was pregnant with DS but maybe that was because I didn't have anything to compare it to :shrug: Just wondering if any 2nd time moms had this feeling and what you did for relief. I thought maybe those gel packs they make for breastfeeding moms? Any thoughts? I don't want to have this "engorged" feeling for the next 18 weeks haha

Second question is for my working momma's. How many bottles did you buy? I stayed home with DS and I had a healthy stock of storage bottles but only kept a couple of his brand of bottles on hand as he only got 2-4 bottles a week. With this LO I am planning to return to work after 6-8 weeks and then she will be at daycare full days so I am unsure of how many bottles I should get as far as storage bottles and the bottles we will use. I don't want to go overboard but I also don't want to feel like all I do is clean bottles.

Thanks for your help ladies!!

I breastfed through my second pregnancy, so I can't really help with your first question, but I can help with the second in regard to bottles.

My suggestion is, don't get any yet. With my first, I picked out the bottle I wanted to use for expressed milk and she never had an issue with it (when I returned to work). I assumed I'd use the same type of bottle with my son, but he ended up being a challenge to switch to a bottle. We went through a few different kinds before we found one that he liked - Adiri. The nipple is known to be soft like a breast, but it tends to be leaky, which sucks. We kept it because it was the only one he would take. In the end, I ended up with 4 bottles. He would take 3 per day, and I had one extra as a "just in case." I washed pump parts and bottles every night. But, if you don't want to HAVE to wash pump parts and bottles every night, maybe I'd go with 2 sets - so if my son was having 3 bottles per day, I'd get 6 bottles and switch off.

Hope that's helpful! :o)

Megandelv - by storage bottles I just meant bottles to pump into, I feel like I had a ton when I had my son but it has been so long that I can't really remember haha. Thank you for your input!

BellaRose - I ended up getting a bunch of bottles to pump into because I found a 12 pack of medela bottles with the storage caps for a good price so I can go a day without washing if I feel super lazy. I'm worried now though I got 6 of the bottles that I had used for my son, he took a bottle really well so like you thought I would just get the same ones. Now if she doesn't like these bottles I am going to feel like I definitely wasted some money haha. Hopefully she will take them! Thank you for your input!!

Hi! I am a mommy here expecting # 2. I breastfed DS until December 2016 when he was 16 months old. I went back to work after 4.5 months, and I worked full time with DS in daycare FT.

I pumped 3 times a day, and I brought 3 'storage bottles' to work each day. I would then use the bottles I pumped that day for the next day. (Pump Monday and use for Tuesday etc, Pump Friday - FREEZE - rotate frozen milk for the Monday as I had several ounces frozen to rotate through). I only had 6 daycare bottles. I bought the Tommy Tippee bottles that were for BF babies so they can go back and forth between the breast and bottle.

I stored my milk in bags of 3 - 5 oz. DS had 3 bottles at daycare. We started off with 3 oz, and gradually he took up to 4.5-5 oz max at a time. If I could pump extra I did so I could store it.

I sent an extra bottle in case he had a hungry day so he had extra if he still wanted some. He only used the extra bottle when having growth spurts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->