can anybody please reassure me about my nuchal translucency results!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by jadekay, Jun 8, 2011.

  1. jadekay

    jadekay Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2011
    Messages:
    165
    Likes Received:
    0
    at 12 weeks pregnant i went for a combined NT screening to see my chances of my baby having downs syndrome. The nuchal translucency measurement was 3.6mm, with that alone my chance was 1:30 for downs. When combined with my age which is only 18, and my blood tests which were fine my risk dropped 1:1020. I had a scan at 14 weeks, everything was fine and the routine 20 week scan, everyrhing also fine. Im just so worried! What do you think?? Thanks
     
  2. jac33

    jac33 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2011
    Messages:
    610
    Likes Received:
    0
    where I live I didn't get numbers, I just got a high or low risk. combined with your bloods that's low risk and if your scans looked ok then I would try not to worry about it x
     
  3. jonnanne3

    jonnanne3 Our miracle is HERE!

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    Messages:
    4,611
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had mine done last week and I am 39 so age alone I am at an increased risk. My NT measurements were 2.5 and before the test, my risk for downs was 1 in 100. After the scan and my blood work, my results were 1 in 218. The way my doctor explained those results were that I have a 95% chance that my baby will be perfectly fine! Those are pretty good numbers to me!
    For the Trisomy 13 and 18, before the test my risk was 1 in 188 and after the scan and the blood test it went to 1 in 3741!!!!!!!!! :happydance:
    I hope that helps a little more. :hugs: Good luck! BTW I go back on the 23rd for another scan just due to my age and history I am considered high risk.
     
  4. lesbianlove

    lesbianlove mummy to 3 boys :)

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1,186
    Likes Received:
    0
    everything looks fine from that hunny, looks like a very low risk im sure thed have said something to u by now if they were concerned xx
     
  5. sueh81

    sueh81 Mummy to 1 & 1 on the way

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2011
    Messages:
    2,358
    Likes Received:
    0
    the best way to look at it is you'd have to have a litter of 1020 babies :baby: and if you put them all together - only one of them would be affected by downs!! xx
     
  6. Tarkwa

    Tarkwa Mummy to two boys :) xxx

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    Messages:
    2,276
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hun, try not to worry about it. Like the other posters have said, you have a really low chance of having a Down Syndrome baby (1 in 1020 is a 0.1% chance of baby having DS, meaning that 99.9% chance everything will be fine!). You are young so that really works in your favour - I hope everything is ok for you, but if you are not sure and need further reassurance then I think you can have an amnio or a CVS to check.
    xxx
     
  7. Ol1vertwist

    Ol1vertwist Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, all I can say is my friend's son's test came back as high risk - 1 in 30 and he is a perfectly fine 3 year old boy now. Scary at the time but she knew whatever happened she would love him just the same.
     
  8. seoj

    seoj Our family of four...

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    Messages:
    12,523
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sounds like your baby is going to be just perfect hun!!! Try not to let the "odds" scare you... they are just odds and good ones at that :)

    :hugs:
     
  9. ahcigar1

    ahcigar1 Happy Mother of 1

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2011
    Messages:
    5,651
    Likes Received:
    0
    I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly wish they would stop giving this test, it is known that the results are not very accurrate and can cause false worry. I am sure your baby is perfectly fine with no signs of Downs or any other issues of that sort.
     
  10. pcake

    pcake Mummy to our pork chop!

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    Messages:
    2,000
    Likes Received:
    0
    My sil's dd had a high nt measurement, but it turned out she was just further along than realised. But, as pps have said, ur low risk- and if ur 20 week scan went well too then im certain u have nothing to worry about. I know noone can give any of us any guaratees, but u wouldnt have been given a low risk result if there was cause for concern xx
     
  11. Tarkwa

    Tarkwa Mummy to two boys :) xxx

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    Messages:
    2,276
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry, thinking about it I think you might be too low risk to have amnio or CVS. A lady my DH works with is 1:50 (she must be in her 40s now) so she is having an amnio - I think the NHS threshold is somewhere around 1:250 before they start doing extra tests (but everywhere is different) so I'm sure you will be fine chick. I have a stupidly low risk factor (1:50000) but there is still a chance that I could have a DS baby but I try not to think about it.
    xxx
     
  12. Chocciebutton

    Chocciebutton Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2010
    Messages:
    812
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am 39 and my scan and blood test results came back as 1:2543 which was pretty good considering my age
     
  13. Lara310809

    Lara310809 Mum of 3 girls

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    Messages:
    8,430
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's a low risk hon. In my last pregnancy I had a crazy low result of 1:281,000 :)shock:) and they told me that was "low", but I think anything lower than about 1:100 is considered low? Not sure really, but I'm definitely sure you're low risk. Of course it doesn't mean it's not possible though; they never rule it out. But the chances are you will have a totally non Downs baby.
     
  14. Lara310809

    Lara310809 Mum of 3 girls

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    Messages:
    8,430
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't think that's the case, with my low result (see above) they still offered me the CVS, but said they would strongly recommend I didn't bother, since my results were so good. But they seemed to give me the option of having it if I wanted to. TBH I don't see the point, even if you're high risk, because it could be harmful to the baby, and if you're going to continue with the pregnancy it just doesn't seem worthwhile to do evasive tests. Obviously if you would terminate then it may be worthwhile knowing more, but if you have a low result I wouldn't worry about it personally.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice