Can anyone advise me how to make Dumplings?

Natasha2605

2 girlies <3
Reaction score
To go into Mince and Tatties. Just realised I have no mix, and ya can't have mince and tats without dumplings! Trying to see whether I stuff the stuff in the cupboard for it! :flower:

250g of self raising flour
125g of cold butter
A little salf or pepper if you want it (my nan used salt but never pepper)
And a tablespoon of water (maybe a little more if it doesn't bind)

Mix the butter and flour with your hands until its like breadcrumbs and then add the salt/pepper if you're using them then add the water until they make the usual mix :) x

i go by my grandmas recipe and never fails me

so per dumpling she does 2 tablespoons of self raising flour to one of suet then salt and pepper and ebough water until it comes together then portions out either cooks them so crunchy or puts them in gravy so they have dunked and half crispy!

Yep I have tried making them without suet using butter instead and they shrivelled up and went hard, not very nice. My recipe is to get a measuring cup of any type, but one that holds around 250ml of water is ideal. Fill it just over 1/2 full with suet and empty that into a bowl, then fill it to the top with flour and tip that in the same bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well using a spoon with just enough water to make a soft, slightly wet dough then drop by spoonfuls into your stew or what have you. I used to make them quite firm and rollable but found this way makes even nicer, crispy on the outside but fluffy on the inside, dumplings. Sometimes I make them cheesy dumplings, make in the same way but before adding the water add a generous handful of grated mature cheddar and 1-2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley or frozen version is fine too, then mix as before. I use the atora vegetable suet and it turns out great xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->