Can anyone recommend a good hand cream for really dry hands?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
My hands at the minute are awful, they are so dry that they are red, the skin is all cracked and they keep bleeding. I've always had dry hands (doc reckons it's eczema but I'm not so sure) but since having LO I'm washing my hands a lot more so they have gone a lot worse.

I'm currently using e45 multiple times a day but it seems to of stopped working.

Can anyone recommend something else?

I've tried a few other creams but nothing seems to work. The GP told me to stop washing my hands but I can't not wash my hands, especially with an 8 month old!

Bit of a random one but udder cream for cows is the best thing ever. I have horses and my hands are awful in the cold wet weather and this is brilliant! Other one I use is body shop hemp or vitamin e hand cream x

I've got the same problem! I use atrixo hand cream and on specially bad areas like my knuckles where it was so raw it was bleeding I put on some leftover lansinoh nipple cream and it's worked a treat! I put it on at night and by the next morning the bleeding bits have mostly healed up.

vitamin E oil or coconut oil..

i made my own mix of the 2 up & so far so good.

my hands get very bad, bleeding & cracked. x

I have Doublebase gel on prescription but I think you can buy it over the counter. Its a really intensive moisturiser (no steriods or anything). I have hand excema and it's definitely worse if I frequently wash my hands or do dusty jobs etc. My skin gets dry - then red - at it's worst it cracks and bleeds.

To be honest the description does sound like excema (it's common to only get it on your hands) and your doctor probably knows best.

See if you can get some Doublebase - if that doesn't work you may need a steriod cream.

I got a fact sheet from the dermatologist saying wear gloves for chopping acidic food like onions and oranges (I don't though as it doesn't seem to cause a problem), cleaning etc. Anything thst causes an irritation, and don't constantly wash your hands as you're washing away naturally oils. Obviously wash after the loo or nappy changes but try to limit it.

weird one but someone recommended it to me years ago when I was working in catering and washing hands constantly, mix some oil (vegetable/sunflower/olive oil doesent matter with some sugar and wash hands with it as it works as exfoliator as well, it really moisturises

My DH gets very dry cracked hands and MIL gave him her Aveeno and it's amazing!

Mine are awful at the minute, especially my fingertips. I've been using Aveeno and my DSs Oilatum cream, will give the oil and sugar mix a try too though!

I have the same problem. I have just started using E45 emolliant wash, which is a non-soap based hand wash. I've really noticed a difference, just in a couple of days. My hands are softer and less red. I'm also using aveeno hand cream during the day.

My Nan's been using Nivea for years and her hands are so soft and lovely!

I use Diprobase on prescription & moisturising gloves.

I've previously had steroid cream when they're really bad, I do recommend getting a cream from your doc.

I use nivea and love it. If my hands get really bad I mix cream and vaseline and put gloves over that for nighttime.

There is a product that you can probably find somewhere with medical supplies that might help. I recently saw it at our hospital gift shop. It is a oil/lotion that you put on. It is meant to make a protective layer over your skin and act as if you are wearing a pair of gloves. I think it had "gloves" in the name of it.

I like aveeno hand cream, as it is meant to stay on even after washing your hands. I also really like some of the Tesco ones - the one with the pink band across it is my favourite. It's really good, really moisturising and costs about 75p a tube.

Definitely going to give some of the mentioned suggestions a try! Thank you :flower:

The doctor gave me some special hand wash (oilatum) but it's not really helped x

I got a cream on prescription for mine but can't remember the name now it's run out, I'm just using a hand cream at the moment.

My dr said it's contact dermatitis I have and he said more than likely caused by something I come into contact with every day. I always thought it was washing up liquid but after getting a dishwasher it persisted. I changed hand wash to 'Dettol Sensitive' and miraculously after a few days it completely went! Its fairly expensive and not always easy to get hold of but worth its weight in gold for me. If I can't get it and have to use something else the cracks and bleeding come back within days.

I use https://www.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/hand-care/scrub/ on my hands then just used niva hand cream.

xxx

Oh you could use emollient hand wash - my daughter has cetraben instead of bubble bath because she gets eczema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->