Can anyone recommend??

B

Bekkiboo

A good lightweight brand of nappy wrap???

The ones I got through today seem quite bulky and I'm not sure they will go over the nappies properly even though they should be the same size!

I've seen some that look a lot less bulky but I don't know what they are called or where is the best place to get them from!

Any ideas???

Also would like to know what the mamabless wool covers are like and how on earth do they work?? They don't look very waterproof! lol

Oh and what's lanollising (not sure how you spell that)??

I haven't used wool covers but I really really want to try them, as mamas on cloth nappy forums rave about them. lanolising is soaking the wraps in a solution of lanolin to waterproof them. lanolin is the substance in wool that stops sheep getting soaked to the skin when they're out in the rain. apparently you have to relanolise wraps every so often. it is also antibacterial, neutralises the urine or something, which is why you don't have to wash them each time they get a bit wet, only if they get pooey. if they do get wet, the moisture evaporates off. wool is also very breathable, keeping the baby cool in hot weather but warm in cold weather.

Oooh that makes sense now, have you any idea whether they come ready lanolised or do we have to do that first ourselves?

Also where can you buy lanolin from?

Lansinoh the nipple cream is pure lanolin but it's expensive, you can buy it cheaper online. just do a search for pure lanolin - this site has info about the whole process, with links to places that stock it (click on "wool care"). :)

If you were to use Lansinoh, you just melt some in hot water. Not sure of the quantities, not much I wouldn't imagine.

:shock:

so you melt some lansinoh nipple cream in hot water, then what, dunk the wraps? soak them?

x

Wash as described above (no need to dry before lanolising). Squeeze a pea sized amount of solid lanolin into a jar with a lid and add very hot water and a generous squirt of wool shampoo or baby shampoo, replace the lid and shake vigorously to mix. Put the mixture into a tub or the sink and add warm water until it's at approx. baby bath temperature, then put the Woollywrap into the mix, squeeze the lanolin mix through the wrap. Leave to soak, preferably overnight, agitating the cover occasionally. No need to rinse. Dry as above.

have just found this...i presume this would work just as well with fleece wouldnt it?

x

no need to do that with fleece as fleece is synthetic - I think it'd clog it up. so far as I know you don't need to treat fleece at all, just wash. :)

oh ok i see

what about 100% cotton wraps, i made those when i first started out thinking that cotton was best but didnt really click onto the fact that the wraps needed to be waterproof not absorbant lol

x

Not sure about other types of wraps, but I use Motherease Rikkis, and I loooove them!! They're the only type I've tried that never ever ever leak (Nature Babies, Bambino Mios and Bummis all leaked for me :( ) They're pretty lightweight and I wouldn't say they're bulky... Just thought I'd sing their praises!! Hehe...

Good luck with the wool if you decide to give it a go! I've heard that 100% fleece wraps will "wick" the wee away from the nappy and onto the clothes, but that they're not so bad if your baby is crawling or walking. I wouldn't use 100% fleece wraps with Vincent because he is a massively heavy wetter!! I think it'd be a disaster hehe... :dohh:

Shadow xx

really? ive never had any problems with wicking, but leyla only wears bottoms for bed usually

x

That's good to know, Ellie :) I haven't actually tried fleece wraps yet, I just read that somewhere :winkwink:

xx

Does anyone know the best wrap to go with a prefold nappy?

I feel like this is all going wrong, I worry the nappies are too tight and worry that the edges will cut into her skin! Is it normal to worry like this at first?

this lady has some lovely ones in
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250493338726&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
also this lady who i am ordering off.
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260480901361&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I feel like this is all going wrong, I worry the nappies are too tight and worry that the edges will cut into her skin! Is it normal to worry like this at first?

:hugs: i'm like this to hun, i'm sending you a few wraps and aio's on tuesday :kiss::happydance:

Thankyou hun :happydance::hugs:, I feel like i'm going nuts! I'll just get comfortable and happy about putting one on her and then my OH will be like ''Oh no that's way too tight on her'' then I get in a panic and take it off!! The only ones I have felt comfortable completely today is the naughty baby ones and they leaked poo! lol I'm sure the less runny her poo gets as she gets older the less likely they will leak poo!

I just feel like I want someone to say, ''get that, that and that and you're good to go''

I'm getting rid of the wraps I brought because they cut into her skin on her legs :cry: and now I feel awful !

I sometimes worry about the wraps cutting in a bit, but I've got much better now that I know just how tight they need to be without overtightening them! The thing is, the ones with really soft legs bits I find tend to leak wee a bit more (like the Bummis Super Bright, I was v. disappointed with that one, although the leg bits were nice and soft and didn't cut in at all even when plenty tight enough, the material that made them soft also made them leak!! :( )

Are you using terry squares hun? I know you mentioned them in another thread. I really cannot praise Motherease wraps enough for going over terry squares, I haven't found any wraps that compare to them performance-wise yet! The only down side is that they are pretty boring (wouldn't exactly win a beauty contest!)

Dippy, thanks for sharing those links, I've ordered a couple of the fleece ones to try out myself! They are pretty cute :)

Shadow xx

I've tried the terrys out today and they are so bulky her trousers don't fit over them!

I've tried the kite fold, and 2 others i'm not sure what they are called??

Are the prefolds any good? I was thinking of getting a few of them and some wraps to go on top but would like some feedback from ladies who have tried them!

The motherease wraps are lovely and have found a lot of sites that praise them, but everyone does them at slightly different prices so I don't know which is the best site cost wise!

If the prefolds are any good, will the motherease wraps be okay to go over them?

I feel like I should have got the jist of this by now but I feel just in the dark as when I first decided to go cloth!

I was offered to try our local councils nappy library for a fee of £10 for 2 weeks, meaning I could try one of as many different nappies as I like but they wanted a cheque written out for £50 as a deposit should anything happen to the nappies (they said they don't cash it unless they have to) but I have never had a cheque book as I hate the things!!

Sorry to be such a pain in the butt (excuse the pun) I'll get there evetually lol!

I was worried about the marks on Adam's thighs and round his waist from his cloth nappies/wraps but they don't seem to bother him and he rarely leaks anything. I was at a cloth nappy talk/demonstration on Friday and the lady mentioned this and said as long as baby wasn't uncomfortable and not turning blue (??!!) they are fine.

i wouldnt use fleece straight over a terry square

i use the plastic pants u can buy in boots, then sometimes a fleece cover over the top :D i do tend to buy bigger size though so it doesnt cut in and then nappy pin the top so it doesnt leak out of the top

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"