Can anyone tell me how home birth works?

mrsp14

Reaction score
Obviously I know it's giving birth at home lol but I'm wondering about the organisation of it. I'm going to tell my midwife next week that I want a home birth.... What will happen after that?

Will there be any extra appointments? Ie do they need to be checking babies position near the end?
Will they visit my home?
How will I know who to call when the time comes? And when to call?

I hate not knowing and now I've persuaded OH to let me have a HWB I am not enjoying the wait for appointment and nit knowing!!!

I think a lot of those questions will depend on how things are done in your area.

For me it has meant no extra appts. They will check the position of the baby anyway weather u choose to HB or hospital, as if baby is not head down they will advise a csec in most cases.
My MW does the birth plan at home anyway weather its a planned a hospital or HB. Also I call the birthing centre for anything, this is the same if I HB or otherwise, but I have seen some ladies on here get given a number to ring form 37 weeks for the home birth team etc.

I am sure once u have spoken to your MW she will run through it all with you. Good luck :)

Obviously I know it's giving birth at home lol but I'm wondering about the organisation of it. I'm going to tell my midwife next week that I want a home birth.... What will happen after that?

Will there be any extra appointments? Ie do they need to be checking babies position near the end?
Will they visit my home?
How will I know who to call when the time comes? And when to call?

I hate not knowing and now I've persuaded OH to let me have a HWB I am not enjoying the wait for appointment and nit knowing!!!

No extra appointments, and no extra checks other than what you would get normally

They will usually do a home visit - just to talk things over, drop off equipment you will need, and get an idea for the layout of your house (ie where the loo and the kettle is - important things :haha:)

Your midwife will let you know who to contact when the time comes. Normally you would phone when you go in to labour, and the community midwife might advise over the phone, or she might come check you over at home to see how things are going. If it's early labour, she will usually leave you to it till you feel you need the midwives there - no hard and fast rules!!

xxx

I think a lot of those questions will depend on how things are done in your area.

For me it has meant no extra appts. They will check the position of the baby anyway weather u choose to HB or hospital, as if baby is not head down they will advise a csec in most cases.
My MW does the birth plan at home anyway weather its a planned a hospital or HB. Also I call the birthing centre for anything, this is the same if I HB or otherwise, but I have seen some ladies on here get given a number to ring form 37 weeks for the home birth team etc.

I am sure once u have spoken to your MW she will run through it all with you. Good luck :)

With my first (not a homebirth) my birth plan was never discussed with me until i actually went to give birth.... the midwife was trying to run through it with me whilst i was leant over a bed having contractions!!!!
I have decided though (as ive left it late to ask for a homebirth) that im going to have a loose plan written to take along when i tell them my wishes so they know ive covered everything.

You haven't left it late at all lovely - some people only just decide at 38 weeks they fancy a homebirth....you are giving plenty of notice :thumbup:

Think I'm feeling the pressure as I was told at the booking in appointment it wasn't an option!!! I know a little more now and plan to do everything I can to get my way!!!

Think I'm feeling the pressure as I was told at the booking in appointment it wasn't an option!!! I know a little more now and plan to do everything I can to get my way!!!

Any reason why you were told this? Home birth is nearly always an option.....xxx

Any reason why you were told this? Home birth is nearly always an option.....xxx

I had an MROP with my first. But it was due to the cord snapping...and then the midwife tugged on the cord to 'help' the placenta along which didnt work! I had a managed 3rd stage without having asked for one!!!

Definately not a reason why you shouldn't have a homebirth this time, and a physiological third stage if you want too xxx

Definately not a reason why you shouldn't have a homebirth this time, and a physiological third stage if you want too xxx

This is what I've discovered.. Although I'm angry that I had to find it out instead of them saying it!! I'm very nervous about my appointment next week as I feel like I'm almost going into battle!!!

This is what I've discovered.. Although I'm angry that I had to find it out instead of them saying it!! I'm very nervous about my appointment next week as I feel like I'm almost going into battle!!!

:hugs: Do your research, and know that you are more than allowed a home birth. If it's something you really want to do, then it's easier to stand your ground :hugs:

xxx

Yup, I've done a lot of research and even ms aged to get OH on board!! Although I'm not 100% sure they a few scary sentences from the midwife wont change his mind.. But at the moment he's in my side and is excited about the whole idea. He even asked if he could be first to touch his son... As in lift him out if the water which I think is lovely!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->