Can early labour following in the family?

A

amy123xx

just a quick question that im abit confused about.
can going into labour early following down in the family?
some people have told me yes and others no :shrug:
the midwife said it all depends. which has made me none of the wiser really :dohh:

what do you guys think?
my mother went into premature labour with me at 29 weeks and the doctors managed to stop the labour unitl 36 weeks (with her in and out of hospital) thats when i was born and my brother was also born around 36 weeks so im just looking for some answers :shrug:
xxx

Really, no, there's no genetics that can make you go into labor at a similar time. There can be coincidences of course, and since you share certain physical characteristics with the women in your family labor and such can progress similarly but preterm labor, etc, isn't "inherited".

(My mom went two days over due with me, my grandmother went a week overdue with her first, I went 8 days early with Finn! But, all of our labors progressed similarly. We're all built similar, have tilted uteruses, etc)

no me my bro and sis where all born 34-36 weeks but i went 5days overdue

I don't think it depends on your family history if you'll have an early labor. And sometimes your labors won't even be similar. My mom was overdue with both me and my brother, but my kids were both born a few days before their due dates. Plus, my mom had horrible, long, complicated labors where I had relatively short, easy, uncomplicated labors. So just your mom's labor history isn't an indication on how yours will be. :flower:

I think it would depend if there is a specific reason for ealry labor, but just genetics, nope.
My sister was 6 weeks early, I was 1 day early, Ava was 6 days late, but I did go into labor at 32 weeks (due to high blood pressure, my mum had my sister prematurely because of this, but that's a condition.)

I've always wondered this as well and actually asked my doctor about it but never really got a definitive answer. But yeah my mom had me and my 3 siblings at around 36 weeks then my older sister never carried a baby passed 34 weeks and now the doctor is telling me she has her fingers crossed for me to make it to 37 weeks :)shrug:)
I've thought this was a TAD bit more than coincidental but I've never known any facts to say why.

No :) I was born at 34 weeks, my sister has 7 children. None were premature. I wouldn't think premature labour is genetic. You only go into premature labour if something is wrong.

i dont know, so i asked google lol!

https://www.livescience.com/9889-premature-births-remain-medical-mystery.html

Hereditary factors, or the mother's genes, are also thought to play a role. They're suspected partly because prematurity seems to run in families.

"Women who have had relatives with preterm births, especially moms that have had sisters with preterm birth, or moms that have been born prematurely themselves — so their mothers gave rise to a preterm infant — have a higher incidence of having a child with prematurity also," Muglia said.

Also, mothers who give birth early one time are likely to delivery early in subsequent pregnancies. And from the other side of the spectrum, mothers who give birth late, after 40 weeks, are at increased risk for late labor with future children.

Research in this area is very preliminary, but scientists have pinpointed a few possible players, including genes involved in making the amniotic sac where the fetus grows. "Different genetic expressions cause that amniotic sac to be weakened and more susceptible to rupture," which in turn increases the risk of premature delivery, Ashton said.

Another possible culprit: genes involved in the immune system, specifically, the ones that promote inflammation in the body, which is sometimes triggered by infection. Inflammation in general is thought to be involved in any type of labor, but it's not clear if it relates to the timing of birth, Muglia said.

In February of this year, scientists from the National Institutes of Health announced they had identified genes in both the mother's and the fetus's immune system that increased the risk of premature birth, suggesting that it's not the mother's genes alone that lead to early delivery.

Genetic variations could also make some women's immune systems more sensitive so that a specific infection might activate an immune response in one woman but not another, Muglia said.

so yes but not just that i guess??? i have a friend who was 7 weeks early, her mother was 5 weeks early and her babies were 8-4 weeks early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->