Can I ask for a C section

Blue_star

First Pregnancy
Reaction score
I live in Canada I have a great fear of birth for some reason. Has anyone ever asked or requested a C section? and if so how was it for you?

I know in the UK you can ask but they are under no obligation to say yes.

When I was expecting my 1st I felt the same as you and would if poss of asked for a C-section but I had my daughter and yes it was a hard forceps delivery as she was stuck fast and only 6lbs 12oz so not a biggy....my son was born be section as he was nearly 8lbs and my doc didnt want to repeat the problems of the 1st bith.
Having had both I can honestly say that even with the forceps my 'normal' birth was by far the best for me as emotionaly I coped better and also recovery was so much better so Id advise you to talk through your fears with someone... having said that I hope you get the birth you want x

I have a fear of csections now but i have to have them, they are not as easy as you think. I am a year on, and have a cough and i have just popped my muscle :O xx

You can ask, but chances are doctors will say no, or try and tell you if its an elective ur paying instead of the goverment from what ive heard...

I'm in Canada too. I did not have an elective c-section. In fact, I was totally (and now more so due to a horrible experience during the delivery and pp imo) against them. Funny because, I was terrified in the beginning of having a vaginal delivery. After I took a lamaze class and learning about post-op, affects on mom and especially baby, I changed my mind completely about them. I suggest looking into it more just so you know what to expect during and after one. With that being said, best of luck in whichever way you have your baby.

You don't have to pay for an elective section, and yes you can ask. My sister did after she had two really horrible tears. They advised her that she could birth vaginally, but she said no. It was paid, and there was no pressure for her to change her mind.

I have a dumb question, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it.
C-section is called "surgery" and I'm guessing that means it comes with a much higher bill attached than vaginal birth, am I right in my assumption?

I live in Canada I have a great fear of birth for some reason. Has anyone ever asked or requested a C section? and if so how was it for you?

Hey, I asked about one because of my anxiety and now it turns out my cervix is anterior and low lying so its looking like I will need one anyway but my midwife said it was MY CHOICE when I asked about one in the first trimester and has referred me to the OBs office when I hit 30 weeks :D

I do not know about canada but over here you do not pay for elective C-secs unless you choose to go private in which case they do not refuse you since you are paying.

You may need to search for a midwife or a doctor who approves it or who is not anti c sections.
My mother had a terrible forceps delivery and wanted a C section ever since but had two natural births but she still would have rather had a section

As far as I'm aware we can't pay for surgery at all. That's our health care system. They do require a reason for the c section which many qualify for. But just wanting one isn't qualifying. For the cost question yes it is surgery and is way higher if your from out of province but then your own province would cover. My only bill was $50 for a private room when I left. But they didn't have any o I paid nothing.

I know some one who got a c-section from asking. Well more like fighting for it. She was around 30+ though and pretty much continually explained to the doctor her reasoning for wanting it and that she knew all the medical risks and etc. Her doctor allowed it but she thinks it was more for her age then anything. But other then that I really don't know if we can just ask without what they consider good reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->