Can I still work (and carry heavy objects) safely through entire pregnancy?

Abbey08

Reaction score
Hello: I am 9w2d and I havent told my work yet. (planned to after 13 weeks). My job consists of lifting boxes that are sometimes a little on the heavy side (40-50lbs.). Is there a time when its not safe to lift and move heavy objects? Or am I safe? I know I need to ask my doctor but with my memory recently I completely forgot!! Thanks.

No matter what kind of job you have, you'll soon hear people say, "Put that down; it's too heavy for you." Heavy lifting is a concern during pregnancy, but the term heavy lifting is hard to define. Generally, it's agreed that pregnant women can lift items that weigh 25 pounds or under, all day long without harm. Also, they can occasionally lift items that weigh up to 50 pounds with no problem. This explains why you can carry your toddler and preschooler occasionally, but not constantly. But if your job requires you to lift weights between 25 and 50 pounds or more on a regular basis, you should ask for reassignment or take your leave on this schedule:

Leave by the 20th week of pregnancy if you're repetitively lifting weights over 50 pounds.
Leave by the 30th week if you are occasionally lifting weights over 50 pounds.
Leave by the 34th week if you are repetitively lifting weights between 25 and 50 pounds.

**Found this information on a website. Hopefully it is helpful! But your doctor would know best! https://pregnancy.familyeducation.c...ety/things-to-avoid-while-pregnant/57442.html

Oh, and we are only a day apart on pregnancy. Congrats! :)

My OB told me not to carry anything over 30lbs but I am not sure if there was a time on that like later in the pregnancy. I carry my son and he is 26lbs and thats already uncomfortable but you are use to carrying a heavier weight. Have you spoken to your OB about that?

Thanks Ahughes! Very helpful!! And congrats to you as well!! Boy would I love to take leave from 20 weeks on but I dont think I will get paid! ;) I can still do my job without the lifting it will just make it harder. I am a file clerk at a law firm and am constantly updated LARGE files. Instead of bringing boxes back to my desk I would have to take the papers to the file and it would just make it harder but do-able (its not just a few papers its usually a stack 2 feet tall).

Thank you LadyinWait! I will ask my OB next appt. I forgot at my last!!

No problem! I wish I could leave at 20 weeks as well. Lol. My husband told me to work up until I "pop." I just laughed at him and said I'm not going into labor at work! I'll probably leave the week before my due date. I work at a commercial real estate firm so sometimes I'm lifting heavy boxes with files in it but it is rare.

I am lugging around my 14kg (31lbs) toddler all day, so I really wouldn't worry too much unless you're having complications that mean you shouldn't lift too much.

I agree that heavy lifting is hard to define - it really depends on how fit you are and how used to it you are. My mum thinks my LO is heavy but I don't as I lift him every day, if you get me.

That said 40-50lbs is on the heavier side, so if you feel yourself straining at all you should probably ask for help or leave the heavier ones, but I really wouldn't worry about the lighter ones. If you feel comfortable while doing it, no pain and no strain, then I wouldn't stress.

Here was my morning:

I lifted my 30 lbs toddler out of bed, into/out of the car, carried him into his daycare class.

Then I went to the gym where I deadlifted 133 lbs 45 times.

If you have not been completely sedentary and your body is used to lifting 40-50 lbs boxes (you didn't JUST start), I'd say you could continue to do so as long as you feel comfortable. Your uterus isn't going to prolapse because of it. I would use very good form to avoid injury and remember that our joints get less stable in pregnancy.

Conversely, don't do it if you don't feel good about it. And as always, talk to your doctor.

There is some box lifting in my job (boxes of medical records) once my office knows I'm pregnant other ppl lift them for me. They would never risk me injuring myself. Even tho some weight lift is ok I wouldn't be picking up those heavy file boxes pregnant. U just never know.

i work in a hospital in a department where at times i have to pull patients from cart to table by myself. and they are not always little.. i worry about this too. i wont see my dr for a few more weeks to ask. i hope you get a good answer. i know i will get the get help talk, but that sometimes doesnt happen.

Ask your doctor and follow their recommendations for you, but for me, my doctor would probably have a fit. Lol. They're conservative but they've told me to not lift anything more than 25 lbs already. In my case, I've already had 2 cesareans and she said something about the pelvic floor but I honestly cannot remember what.

But my toddler is about 36 lbs and I will continue to pick him up until it feels poorly to do so. I followed their 'rules' last time and stopped picking up my oldest son and when I was no longer pregnant, he didn't like to be carried anymore and that made me sad.

Hi there. How about asking your work to get you a trolly to move the boxes around? :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->