• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can I stop breastfeeding cold turkey? (BF less than a week)

loveandterror

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I've been a mum for 4 days now and breastfeed my daughter. Due to me being an emotional wreck with very heavy, hurting breast, I'd like to start FF. I feel bad for saying this, but I'm not enjoying BF at all and dread every feed.

Now my question is, can I go cold turkey, since it's only been 4 days since I've started or do I still have to give her my breast?
I heard about mastitis and other things that can happen.
Is there something I could do to prevent getting this and how would I know, if I already had it?

At the moment I'm feeding her 8 times a day, if you need that info.

i don't have any advice on quitting and i am not being judgmental i ff my dd but bf my ds and am currently bf ds2. before giving up on bf have you tried pumping and bottle feeding beast milk just a suggestion.

I don't suggest cold turkey, it hurts worse. If you feel like you need to quit, pump only enough to soften your breasts when needed. Mastitis is fairly obvious and you will get a fever and tender, red lump in your breast. You can drink sage tea to help dry yourself up.

I bf for 4 days then stopped cold turkey. My boobs were sore for a few days but it did ease. I had a great supply though and would leak a lot so keep up with the nipple pads. I actually leaked up until 5 weeks though less and less each day and generally only when I (bottle) fed her as I think it released the let down hormone.

I didn't enjoy breastfeeding either I was so disappointed, like you I was an emotional wreck. My midwife advised me that if I wanted to stop and also wanted to stop expressing to go 'cold turkey' but to be honest didn't say why....

I bf for 3 weeks and I developed a severe case if mastitis. You will have hot/cold chills and a fever. Your breast will go red (mine did not have lumps ) but the red patches were hard.
I dried my milk up with cabbage leaves in my bra I know it sounds ridiculous but I read about it in alot of forums and thought I would try. It worked like a miracle. Its cold and relieves the pain too if you are slightly engorged. Pumping a little just to relieve pressure too--good luck ♡

When I gave up feeding my daughter I started by expressing a bit off just to ease them as it felt like having two bricks on my chest.
It took a few weeks for my milk to dry up but they did in the end.
I don't regret stopping bf and I will not beat myself up about it!

Just an update to say thank you for all your advice. I stopped cold turkey. My midwife came around our house yesterday and gave me the advice to suppress my breast with a tight fitting bra and nipple pads. So far I'm doing great and my fiancé loves feeding our bottle. Grandma is also excited :)
Oh yeah, if everyone is in the same boat as me. MW told me to avoid hot baths and showers / not to get the hot water on my breast as it will make them leak like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->