Can I treat thrush with canesten?

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
Ds2 is currently being treated for the third time for oral thrush. We have had the gel, then drops, now gel again. They've all not taken it away completely and as soon as the course has finished it's come back. He's also suffered from birth with severe cracked lips which they thought was from the thrush too. He's been referred to a paed and we are waiting for the hospital appointment. I have been double sterilising, washing everything on 90 degree washes (I've shrank loads) and changed his bedding in his Moses basket every night just in case bacteria was remaining but nothing has helped.
Now the poor boy has nappy thrush too! The question I have is can I treat that with canesten cream at home as I can't get into the doctors today and don't want to leave it til Monday. It's just boots own brand 1% cotrimazole cream which I've read online that is what's used anyway. But can't seem to find how often or how much to use. Anyone know? Or can I pop to a pharmacy that'll give me something over the counter (even if it's the same stuff)?
My poor boy looks so sore :(

I usually go and see my pharmist who will give something over the counter. I'm sure you only need a prescription if it's steroid based like hydrocortisone etc .

I think the dose usually apply thinly once / 3 times a day for a week or two.

I would highly recommend Metanium Nappy Rash Cream . Cleared DD2s up after a few applications . And when she never had nappy thrush / rash I used Metanium everyday cream .

Hope he's better soon poor little fella . Hate seeing them I'll so young ! Xx

If it's the Boots own brand cream in red and white box / tube here is the patient information leaflet

https://www.boots.com/wcsstore/Exte...entLeaflets/PIL for Boots Thrush 10115201.pdf

Sophie had both oral and vaginal thrush when she was a few weeks old. The gel worked for us so I can't advise on that though hopefully peads help.

She was prescribed canesten from the GP same as you'd get over the counter so the clotrimazole SHOULD be fine. Up here on Scotland a pharmacy can't prescribe for a baby under 3 months old. A thin layer twice daily was what we were told to do.

Hope Niko is better soon x

Thanks so much. I've put some on tonight. It's gone all white now too so definitely thrush. I feel so bad for him.

The gel seems to be clearing up his oral thrush this time, I think we weren't being given enough of it to clear completely before it ran out as the tube does say continue for 7 days after symptoms are gone and we didn't end up with enough last time as it was still there! Really hoping his dry lips are part of the thrush too and that they clear because the doctors are stumped they have no idea what it could be otherwise!

Thanks for the info leaflet that is the one I've got. Fingers crossed it works fast. I didn't realise metanium works for thrush. That was my favourite cream when Rio was a baby and had a sore bottom it worked so fast. I'll get more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->