Can i wear a wig ?

I'm sure it's safe to wear your wig. Maybe discuss it discreetly with your midwife and see want she thinks. The only problem I can see with it during labor is discomfort/making you hot.

I have a friend who suffers from alopecia and she has the cutest little colorful head wraps to wear when she can't wear a wig (working out at the gym, etc.). Maybe you could look into getting one for labor? I sweat excessively right at my hairline so I've already been thinking I might get one to keep my hair off my face and neck while I'm pushing. This might be an option for you to keep your secret, keep cool and look cute at the same time!

PS: For the record, I also recommend telling him about your wig when you feel comfortable. It's nothing to be ashamed of at all!

Thanks i might try that ny head gets really itchy when its on and im hot so i know it will be a major discomfort at the time :(

I suffer with this condition, so I know the struggle. Mine has progressed from hair pulling to skin picking though now, which means I always, always wear heavy make up to attempt to cover the problem.
I didn't tell my husband for a good couple of years that I had anything at all wrong with me. I also didn't want to ridiculed or made to feel stupid for something I can't help. I know it's a very difficult condition to understand. I don't have a single friend who knows, my mother, sister and husband are all that are aware. Not even my own father knows.
It's entirely up to you when and if you tell your partner. I understand waiting until you're completely comfortable. My husband doesn't understand it at all and doesn't pretend to, but he has never once been anything other than hugely supportive, so if you decide to tell him, he might surprise you.
In answer to your original question, I can't see why it would be an issue in labour or with a baby. I still insisted on putting my make up on between contractions with my first baby, and I've no doubt I'll do the same this time. Even for operations where I've been told no make up I've worn my foundation, I couldn't have left the house without it, and it's never been mentioned yet so I can't see the problem.

My dad has the skin picking condition which made me wonder if its hereditary. Im so pleased you managed to tell ur husband theres nothin worse than keepin something like this even though sonetimes u feel u have to. I dont feel the times right to tell him yet and my hairs growing back so no need if it looks ok by time i get to my due date. Fingers crossed hairs grown or i get to keep my wig on :) x

Some women say you won't care about anything once you are in labour and for some that's true. You never really know how you will feel until you are there. I don't suffer from the same problem as you but I did find I was quite aware of staying covered up during labour. Being naked or having my bottom half exposed would have made me feel uncomfortable and made it harder to concentrate on labour. Funnily enough after labour I stripped off infront of the MW to get in the shower and didn't care at all but during labour it would have been distracting. I think its important to feel as comfortable as possible in labour. For some that means stripping off for others it means covering up. In your case you may find you can't wait to get your wig off or you might be more comfortable keeping it on. I'd say if it is at all possible for you try telling your partener soon as you can. That way it takes the pressure off on the day and you can just decide if you want to wear it or not. As others have said you may find it helps to bring you closer. If you are not comfortable sharing things with eachother in time it can drive a wedge into your relationship. I know it is easier to give advice than follow it though and you have to do things at in your own time. Hugs.

I suffer with this condition, so I know the struggle. Mine has progressed from hair pulling to skin picking though now, which means I always, always wear heavy make up to attempt to cover the problem.
I didn't tell my husband for a good couple of years that I had anything at all wrong with me. I also didn't want to ridiculed or made to feel stupid for something I can't help. I know it's a very difficult condition to understand. I don't have a single friend who knows, my mother, sister and husband are all that are aware. Not even my own father knows.
It's entirely up to you when and if you tell your partner. I understand waiting until you're completely comfortable. My husband doesn't understand it at all and doesn't pretend to, but he has never once been anything other than hugely supportive, so if you decide to tell him, he might surprise you.
In answer to your original question, I can't see why it would be an issue in labour or with a baby. I still insisted on putting my make up on between contractions with my first baby, and I've no doubt I'll do the same this time. Even for operations where I've been told no make up I've worn my foundation, I couldn't have left the house without it, and it's never been mentioned yet so I can't see the problem.

Im glad to see you reach out to op. And give her relative advice! It would be a very sad day to have someone judge you for something you didnt choose and have no control over. Its the same as racism. And as soon as people realize just that , this world will be a better place. Ty for your reply! :)

Could you ask a midwife at one of your antenatal appointments? That way it wouldn't be hanging over you until then, or ring maternity and ask?

As someone said before I would defo recommend a head band type thing. I wore one in labour to keep my hair out of the way, I think lots of women do. That way you should keep cool. I have a pretty expensive wig I bought when I attempted getting dyed black hair back to natural blonde in one sitting... I was bald in places and blistered. I know I defo would not want to be wearing it in labour. There are lots of things that OH will see and hear during labour that may make him a bit more sensitive and understanding. Hopefully even if you don't manage to tell him beforehand you will feel more comfortable with speaking to him about it after the baby is here. My hubby was helping change dirty maternity towels and showering me when I had DD - it got rid of any embarrassment I might have ever had before. Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->