Can lying on your belly affect bump?

Emsabub

Reaction score
Forgive me if it's a stupid question :dohh:

I'm only 20 weeks in and even though this is my 1st time, I'm starting to wonder/worry if lying on my front in bed will affect my bump?
On my back, the hard lump is clear as day! But on my stomach, it doesn't feel as obvious as it used to or baby girl is just lying towards my back.. without backache. I really don't know, I just want my obvious bump please! :winkwink:

I'm only 20 weeks in and even though this is my 1st time, I'm starting to wonder/worry if lying on my front in bed will affect my bump?
On my back, the hard lump is clear as day! But on my stomach, it doesn't feel as obvious as it used to or baby girl is just lying towards my back.. without backache. I really don't know, I just want my obvious bump please! :winkwink:

I slept on my stomach until 28 weeks since I FINALLY started showing then :) Went on beach holidays 5 mths pregnant and nobody knew. I was also worried about my bump being small but trust me you will get one and it will annoy you a lot of times :haha: Mine never got huge but I gave birth to an average sized healthy boy.

Happy pregnancy :hugs:

Wow! 28 weeks?! Then again everyone is different. That's good news though that he was healthy :) Thats the main thing above all really :hug:

Yeah, but then it came in basically overnight. I went from my normal jeans to full on maternity wear in 2 weeks :haha:

My OB told me it's normal with the first baby, since the uterus is slow to stretch. Also predicted that I'll show much, much sooner with my next one.

Also important is your normal constitution. I am not exactly skinny so consequently my bump didn't seem so out of place :) If you put my belly on a skinny lady, it would have looked much much bigger.

But as far as sleeping etc goes, just listen to your body. It will tell you what to do :hugs:

Everyone is different! My grandmother didn't even show practically the entire pregnancy with her second pregnancy (my Aunt!) But my own mother, my sister and I show incredibly early. I showed at 11 weeks with my first pregnancy and even earlier with this pregnancy and I was seeing a chiro who needed me to lay on my stomach for some of the adjustments and I couldn't lay on my stomach anymore even at NINE weeks! So I think it just depends on what's comfortable for you and when you start to show. I'd ask your MW/OB but I'm pretty sure the general consensus is so long as it's comfortable and you're not showing yet, it should be fine, but not recommended once you start to show because of the pressure you're putting on the baby, blood flow, etc.

Also it's not recommended after your 16th week of pregnancy for ANY pregnant woman to lay flat on her back. Even if you're not showing, the weight of your uterus when you're this far along can compress a main vein which can inhibit blood flow back to your heart. You can still lay on your back but you should put a pillow under one hip or the other so you're not completely flat, or lay on your side. I lay on my side using a Snoogle pregnancy pillow because otherwise I'll roll right on my back and I find this most comfortable.

Hope this helps!

You can use a pregnancy pillow if you want to lie on your front. Hope it will provide you comfort.

I wake up lay on my stomach most mornings! Don't know how when my bump is quite big! I'm sure it does no harm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->