Can miscarriages be hereditary?

rollachick

Reaction score
I no thats a pretty random question but was just thinking about it.
My mil had miscarriages and both her daughters had at least one each, where my mum didn't ever have any, so I'm hoping it means theres less of a chance ild have one? My sister got pregnant once but it ended naturally due to major chromosome problems that ment the baby wouldnt have survived anyway so i wouldn't really class it as a normal miscarriage?
Any thoughts, experiences?

Depends what the causes the miscarriages. I've experienced 5 miscarriages and a pre-term labour. The majority of immediate female family members have never experienced any pregnancy issues, my own mother especially had care free easy pregnancies. I seem to have very difficult pregnancies (blood clotting disorder, hyperemisis, spd, daughter born with a congenital abnormality etc). So, I am definitely the odd one out, but have inherited some dodgy genes from somewhere (blood clotting disorder) that has escaped or not affected other family members. I guess it's just luck of the draw really and probably too complicated to establish a hereditary link where miscarriage is concerned.

Depends - I have a prothrombin gene mutation which was one cause of my miscarriages and it was from one of my parents - my daughter will likely be tested before she tries for kids

I'm not sure no one that I know of in my family has had one, I'm the only one?
My Aunty did have an ectopic though.

My friends mum had a lot, she's had one so far, but her sister hasn't and is currently pregnant.
Who knows? Could be? But sometimes it's a freak thing without reason.
x

It can be but it's also can be not related at all. It depends on the reason for the miscarriage. The majority are due to major chromosomal problems (it's just that most are not diagnosed as that as are never tested) so that's not unusual for your sister to have had.

I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy. But I'm now 37 weeks along. My mum never had any miscarriages. Her mum did have some due to progesterone issues that no-one else in the family has had since

Yes and no. It really depends what is causing the miscarriages. Spontaneous miscarriage can happen to anyone x

Like others have said, generally no, but some causes do run in families.

Most miscarriages are chromosomal abnormalities, but other causes like blood or immune disorders do, but those are more rare and likely you know about those before TTC.

My in laws none have had miscarriages thus far but my mother and I have.

my maternal and paternal grandmothers both had 3 miscarriages each, at least. none in the family since.

undoubtedly there are some hereditary factors that make miscarriage more likely, but it doesn't seem that that has been the case with our family.

There may be factors passed down, but I don't know just how much of miscarriage causes is hereditary vs chromosomal collisions with your OH vs other things. My mom had 2 miscarriages (1 on either side of me, 6 pregnancies total), my little sister has had none (and 2 kids), and I've had 2 (1 on either side of my son). We figured my 1st miscarriage was chromosomal, as we saw the bean but no yolk sac. With #2, it was as natural as can be and without a u/s, so probably chromosomal as well. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->