Can someone explain?...

L

Litol_x_Me

What exactly a baby shower is? i know its a mini party or something that people give you baby gifts but what exactly is it? And is it only commonly done in america?? (I'm in uk) And where do you have one?? And who comes??

I would like one but need too know more about them

Thankies xxx

Get one of your friends to arrange it. I don't know too much about them but I'm sure someone else on here will. :)

Get one of your friends to arrange it. I don't know too much about them but I'm sure someone else on here will. :)

So you dont arrange it yourself?? Was gonna ask why your up so early lol keep forgetting you have had LO :rofl:

Baby showers are great fun! I'm from Canada, and there your female friends or relatives all conspire together and throw you a huge party - women only! LOL Lots of munchies and gifts and sometimes baby games.

Often whoever is throwing the baby shower will hold it at their house, and often the mom-to-be doesn't know it will be happening - kind of like a surprise party.

I would love to have one but unsure if I will since all my family is back in Canada and we're in the UK... LOL

I threw one for my sister, and she is going to throw one for me. I have to go register for baby stuff soon so people can have an idea what to buy. I honestly feel so uncomfortable at these things as I hate being the centre of attention, but it's nice to see all my family.

A new style of baby shower that is getting popular here is called "Jake and Jill". Its when both the guys and girls come to the shower. You play stupid games (like a bridal shower) and eat lots of food and get baby gifts.

I didn't have a bridal shower cause it was my second marriage but I can hardly WAIT for a baby shower. Such fun!!

Okay here we do two seperate things(but I have heard from some of the girls here that our baby showers are somewhat different than usual).

The girls have the baby shower. Usually your mom or best friend or sister will throw it for you. Here we have a little get together with games( I hate this part, I won't be having games at mine) and food and a cake and stuff. We're throwing mine Labour Day weekend so we'll have a garden party. Usually the family members will make food and bring it. Sandwiches, fruit and veggie trays, cookies, salads, etc. Basically people just give you baby things. Some people ask for a greenback shower which is all money, but it is considered rude(here anyway) unless the person has to travel somewhere to have the baby and can't pack up all the stuff.

The other thing we do here is Pamper Parties. This is when the MEN get together and have a "party" or all go out to pool or do whatever it is that they want to do, and each person brings a pack of diapers.

Well,the classic baby shower over here ( in US) is basicly: a little party.U usually decorate the space with somew baby themes,then the non-pregnant ladies drink cute cocktails(like mojitos :D) while the pregnant one drinks club soda :(

You talk,mingle...laugh.Then it's time for the cute baby games.

Then cake,I think my baby shower will also include a nice bbq in the garden...food...

Then they'll 'shower'(hence the name of the party) me with presents,usually for the baby and mom.
And then some more talking,laughing,you get the point...

They are really really popular over here,mine is being thrown by my friends and I can't wait!:happydance:

Now I really want some cake. Mmmmm cake......

When my sil had hers, she invited all her friends and female family members. She got gifts for the baby and showed the scan pics etc. I think it was more for her that the grandma's and the rest of the two families are metting.

Im pretty sure my baby shower is going to be a BBQ too lol, I told my mom id like to have it at a particular family members place (where most family things are because of the space, BBQ and pool!)

I kind of just wanted to have a party and invite guys and girls, the guys dont have to hang around or anything, I just thought it would be a nice way for our families to get to know each other more.

My sister had a wee little one in January and got CRAP LOADS of stuff and money!

Well, your friends/family arrange it, it can be as big or small as you like, held wherever you like. Basically the people who arrange it all cook some things or buy some nice food (cake! yum), get gifts and play games (like who has the biggest stretch mark, don't say the mother-to-be's name the entire time, etc.) . Nowadays men and women come to the parties, or only women if you like! There are usually draws and prizes, and at the end everybody gets together and gives you gifts for baby! This can be done before or after the baby's born (I'm having 3 - one before for family friends, two after for each side of my family).

Well because it is mostly an American thing what I did for my baby shower was one of my good friends at work held one for me at hers and it was kind of a cross between a work leaving party and a baby shower with pink and blue balloons and fairy cakes and presents.So maybe you could do something like that but get a few of your other friends that arent from work to come along too.
We didnt have any games so it was a bit of a toned-down version of a baby shower but it was good for if anyone isnt into the idea of a baby shower for whatever reason (for example your guy friends~)
x

I love baby showers. Here in the US it used to be that you only would get a baby shower for you first baby, but it seems that trend is changing to any baby (any excuse for a party right?). I like to go to them and throw them. Some of my favorite games are: everyone passes a roll of toilet paper around and takes off as many squares as you think it will take to wrap around mommy's belly. Then the guest of honor gets to wrap the tp around her baby belly and whoever has the closest amount of squares wins a small prize. The next one I like is placing a baby bottle filled with candys (m$m's, skittles, whatever) by the entrance. Have everyone guess how many are in the bottle, and at the end of the party, reveal the winner and give a small prize. My all time favorite game at a baby shower is the guess what kind of poop game. You get a bunch of premie diapers and different flavor baby foods. Smear each diaper with a spoonfull of food, number it and pass it around. Each person tries to guess what is in the diaper. The one with the most correct guesses is the winner. Then there is the blindfolded change the diaper game. You split the guests into 2 teams, give each a baby doll with a diaper, and do a relay to see who can change the baby doll diaper the fastest while blindfolded. Another game is to write down the mommy and daddy full name on a sheet of paper. Let the guests write down as many names as they can come up with using the letters from the parents name. The one with the most original name that the mom likes the best is the winner. Sorry to go on and on, I have been to many showers and you can see I like them.

My mother and sisters threw Me a suprise baby shower. I had no idea. There were loads and loads of gifts and a spread of food. I was surrounded by friends and family and there was a cake with My sons name on it. It really helped me prepare for him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->