Can someone help me with a Metformin question?

KelliGal

Trying for #2 with Infertility
Reaction score
My doctor wouldn't give me Clomind, but he did give me Metformin. I am just wondering why? What's it's purpose and is it worth taking?? I don't like taking lots of medicines or chemicals.... So I'm nervous to fill this prescription... Can anyone help me out on this?

I believe Metformin can be prescribed to regulate your cycles and encourage ovulation. However it can also help with weight loss but I am not really sure of the actual process that happens in your body to make this happen! Hope that helps a bit!

I have been on it now for 2 months and for both cycles it has worked perfectly. I would go months without ovulating because of PCOS. My doctor started me out on 1000mg and then boosted me up to 2000mg. The nurse told me that it's medicine for diabetics but women on it kept coming up pregnant so they figured out that it causes us to ovulate. Yes, it always causes weight loss but that's because it causes diarrhea. It's a pain in the butt but it's totally worth it because it works. I actually ovulated the very first time after ONLY 4 days on it.

My doctor said to take one pill a day (which is only 500mg) is that even going to do anything?

I've heard about the side effects, which makes me wonder if it'll really work or just give me the runs...

My doctor said to take one pill a day (which is only 500mg) is that even going to do anything?

I've heard about the side effects, which makes me wonder if it'll really work or just give me the runs...

My dr also put me on it.

I ovulated for the 1st time on it as well.

He started me on 500mg for a week then up to 1000mg.

It definately helped me. I have taken clomid for 4 cycles and it didn't work. However together with the met it had worked.

If I were to start it, when in the cycle would I start it? My doc was so not helpful in any way... Rather dissapointing.

You want to start it now and keep taking it, even if you get a BFP until your dr says to come off it. I've noticed some women go off the metformin right after a BFP and then lose the pregnancy. I don't now if it is related, but I wouldn't chance it. 500 mg/ day is very low, but the upset stomach can be brutal. I would see if the dr would be willing to let you increase the dose to 500 mg twice a day once your stomach is used to it.

You want to start it now and keep taking it, even if you get a BFP until your dr says to come off it. I've noticed some women go off the metformin right after a BFP and then lose the pregnancy. I don't now if it is related, but I wouldn't chance it. 500 mg/ day is very low, but the upset stomach can be brutal. I would see if the dr would be willing to let you increase the dose to 500 mg twice a day once your stomach is used to it.

Yeah my dr also confirmed that he will keep me on metformin for the 1st trimester, to avoid miscarriage.

Good luck.

Thank you for the responses ladies!!! Like I said my doctor was such a jerk, he was like "here I have the prescription, see ya" didnt tell me how much to take, for how long nothing... So I appreciate the input :)

My dr started me on metformin due to my irregular cycles because of PCOS and it did regulate my cycles straight away! This was back in 2009. A few months later he then gave me clomid and I tried that for 9 months but it didn't work for me but all the while I was still taking met. It did give me side effects for a while but they wore off after a few months and then fell pregnant! I had to take it up to 12 weeks before my dr told me to stop! I have every faith in metformin so would definatley give it a go! I don't take it anymore and my cycles are now like clockwork! Good luck and hope it works for you!

See and even though I have seen and read millions of things about all the side effects, it seems like majority of people loved it...that's very reassuring!

See and even though I have seen and read millions of things about all the side effects, it seems like majority of people loved it...that's very reassuring!

The only time I got sick to my stomach is when he upped my dosage up to 2000mg so my advice is to start off low where you can handle it. 1000mg never bothered me so i would cut some in half for a week and then went up to 2000mg and now its fine it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want to take any other medicine because it works so well.

Hi

You guys are so lucky metformin worked for you. I was taking up to 4000 mg a day until only a few months ago but I never had any of the side effects and my PCOS and weight stayed the same effectively. I guess I must not be insulin resistant or something :dohh: I'm not really sure. Did ask the docs what the heck type of PCOS I had and got told there are no types and I have appearance of PCOS rather than the full works so maybe thats why it didnt do it for me.

But looks like loads of people have had success on it. I know two people who took it and were able to conceive naturally without the need for any other intervention so I would say definitely worth the try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->