Can someone please explain...

Teri7489

Proud mummy
Reaction score
Ok, so was at health visitor and was trying to get LO's clothes back on and needed a new nappy. HV jumped up to help so went in to the bag and saw the four bottle I had made up to take with us. She started lecturing me about making bottle in advance blah blah blah

So my question, how does it work for the pre-made big bottles. I know its safest to make them up as you need them but it's not practical sometimes. When we are going to be out all day or to different places I often buy the big bottle of pre-made milk but isn't that the same as making it at home? The box of formula says don't make in advance yet they make the big bottles?

Am I being totally stupid? ? ?

Im sure once at home temp the big bottles are the same as home made, so bin after an hour.

I used to put water in bottles and power in seperate tub them mix when wanted

But that doesn't make sense. Those bottles last my 7 month old a whole day? There would be no point in opening that size of bottle for one feed.

I don't like the idea of carrying bottles of boiling water around with me, that's why I make the milk in advance. Xx

No but when you open a big bottle at home its stored in the fridge, i guess? The bottle will have instructions on when to throw it through.

You can fill the bottles and let them go cold, aslong as the waters used within 24 hours. The possible bugs come from the powder, not the water

Tbh i dont think anyone does it 100% tbe correct way. I just used to ignore the hv, they know very outdated stuff. Well the majority do anyways.

My health vistor told us at 5 monthd we were feeding our lb too much and wanted a breakdown of his food. They refused to believe he was still on milk. After that i stop talking to them

I don't take on board a lot of the things they tell me tbh, it just kind of annoyed me when I thought about it. Just seems daft that the box says don't keep it but they make big bottles that last apparently. Silly

You can only keep pre made formula for 24 hours if its kept in a frigde otherwise you should throw it away after 2 hours. If im going to need a bottle I take a flask of hot water or if im somewhere around a cafe or reasurant etc they wilk usually give you boiling water. I use sma and they do the small bottles of ready made with the screw on teats which ill use if we go somewhere like the beach or the country side where I might not be able to get to water.

I don't take on board a lot of the things they tell me tbh, it just kind of annoyed me when I thought about it. Just seems daft that the box says don't keep it but they make big bottles that last apparently. Silly

Ready made is different to powder. Its made slightly different. Its UHT, longlife, like buying longlife milk of the shelve.

The big bottles of pre-made formula have to be refrigerated after opening and used within 24 hours. Its the same thing with any formula you make. If you don't need it right away, put it in the fridge (or in a cooler bag with ice). It has to be thrown out within an hour after you take it out of the fridge, make it, or open it. What I do with my baby is put the water in the bottles and take the formula with. For instance, she drinks 6oz bottles. So I put 6oz of water in each bottle and take the formula with. When she is ready to eat I just add the formula to the water. My baby is ok with room temperature bottles. If you need to heat it up then heat the water up before adding the formula. I buy the baby water in the gallon jugs but if you boil yours then just boil it ahead of time and put it in the bottles. I kind of think of it like milk. You wouldn't want to drink milk after its been sitting out for an hour or hours...

So do you take bottles of boiling water with you ? After seeing a thread on her about a little girl scalded by a bottle of boiling water in her pram I stopped doing it. Xxx

I don't boil her water. I buy the gallons of baby water which is located by the formula. They are ok for babies so you don't have to boil water. The cost for them is $1 per gallon, here in SD anyway. I think its much easier than boiling water all the time.

For going out I used to take the 200ml cartons and when it was time for a feed I opened it and put in the bottle. Anything he didn't have, I would throw away.

The bigger bottles (as have already been said) should be refrigerated after opening.

But doesn't the water have to be boiled to kill the bacteria of the formula ? Or is it a different thing purely for formula. You would think I would know this as she is 7 months but owell xxx

I am talking about these?

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...timil&parentContainer=SEARCHaptimil_SHELFVIEW

they are usually OK if left in your bag because they are at room temperature and don't need to be warmed.

I used to pre make bottles. But there is a safer way to do it. When my LO got into a routine of having four bottles a day, I used to make up four bottles the night before, use cool boiled water to make the bottles then rapid cool them in the fridge. Then I'd take the bottle out and warm it in a jug with boiling water when it was feed time. If I was going out, I'd make sure the bottle was in an insulated bottle bag, which keeps it cool for two hours, if I was going to be out longer than two hours, I'd take a sterilised bottle out with me and a carton and the formula, and just tip the carton in.

It's the formula powder which is a risk therefore it's actually safer to pre-mix with slightly cooled (so it doesn't scold the powder) boiling water. This kills anything in the powder. Assuming it's then sealed straight away in sterilised bottles it keeps. We used to do that and use them with 3 or 4 hours of making up.

Sorry felix555 I should have used quotes. I meant that comment for the poster before you xxx

you can make bottles up in advance like you are, making them with cooled boiled water you shouldnt do as like you say it needs to be at least 7odegree to kill bacteria, if im going out i take my premade ones out of the fridge and put them in a small cool back with a couple of freezer blocks in and they are good for around 6hours, and my HV was totally ok with that, if im out all day ill take some premade and a small carton of the instant formula for just incase x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->