• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can teething cause tummy ache and wind?

sezzolou

Reaction score
My 14 mo is suffering terribly at the moment and I'm unsure if it's teething related or due to weaning off reflux meds. I've been very gradually reducing his ranitidine dose over the past months. This week he is drooling loads (absolutely soaking 6-7bibs a day), has red cheeks, hands in mouth and chewing his dummy rather than sucking it. The last couple of nights he's been pretty unsettled waking more than usual and last night he acted like he had bad tummy ache crying for 2 hours non stop, trumping and kicking his legs like he was in pain. He's not been too happy all day today. Poos are reasonably normal, he just seems to have an awful lot of wind at the moment at day long.

Im torn about the reflux meds. Does this sound like standard teething trouble? I don't want to just assume it's reflux and increase his meds. I can't see/feel any teeth coming through.

Yes, mine gets horrible runs when teething too! However as you said its really hard with coming off the reflux meds too. How is the reflux in general? If u think u can reduce the meds do so and see if things settle. Red cheeks, chomping and drooling etc wouldn't happen due to the reflux meds so I'd say u are right :hugs:

Btw my son teeths for ages before any come through x

Thanks hun. It's so hard not to just think he must still have silent reflux. I feel like I blame every thing on the reflux lol...bad sleep, congestion, now this! I wish it were easier to differentiate but the symptoms are so similar to a bad cold or teething. Like you say though the red cheeks, chomping down on everything and drool make me think teething rather than reflux. He hasn't had the typical reflux symptoms of hiccups, gulping or acid breath like he did when he was younger so I'm hoping he has now outgrown it. This has just co-incided with reducing his meds from 1ml down to 0.5ml of ranitidine 3 times a day over the last couple of weeks (he was originally on 1.8ml 3 times a day).

I don't know if this helps but my son just popped his first tooth and I had thought he was getting a flair up of gas....he made the exact same pain signals to me so I'd try to burp him and wonder why he was getting so gassy all of a sudden and then I realized he was drooling and chomping and a tooth showed up :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->