• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

can you be a midwife if you are actively against breastfeeding?

tardiz

mum of 1 :)
Reaction score
Im not meaning to offend anyone this has just been playing on my mind lately.

My oldest and closest friend is completely anti breastfeeding. Has never tried it, , thinks it should only be done in private and covered up. Now she is my best friend and her views are her own so I try not too get drawn into the discussion as we disagree.

The thing I have been thinking is that she wants to start training to be a midwife. Now I thought midwife's should at least have an open mind with regards to feeding so how could she give someone encouragement and support (providing they wanted to bf) when she is so against it?

Thoughts? Xx

I guess it's not ideal, I would hope that all midwives would be open minded about everything birth and child related, BUT as long as it didn't affect the care and advice they give then I guess there's nothing wrong with it, so if they were able to stay impartial and just do their job then there wouldn't really be a problem. I'm sure there are many people who don't let their personal views affect their work life.

I agree that providing they are able to give guidance and support to women who do want to breastfeed then it should be fine.

Thats what I thought too, but you know when you are just sat around thinking about things I was just wondering how I could give advice and support to someone about something I disagreed with x

Does she disagree with it completely? As in thinks it shouldn't be done? Or just has very out dated views in terms of women should hide away etc. I read your first post as that she doesn't do it herself, doesn't want to see it but she isn't against other people doing it if that's what they choose iykwim. As long as she doesn't ever pass her views or judge,nets onto people who d want to try I can't see a problem with it. But if she's so against it shed discourage someone from trying then yes I'd say it'd cause an issue.

A bit od both. She left my house when my son was born when I was feeding and whenever I see her now she always asks how I am going to feed. And I always say the same that's when she will start with the above opinions and more personal opinions. It's probably that we know each other so well that she says what she thinks around me and im not sure she would tell a patient the same thing I just wonder if she (or anyone) can support someone in a decision that they dont really agree with. But then I guess it isn't really my business I just have too much to me in the evenings when i can't sleep to think about random things x

i dont think it matters much

im sure many nurses have personal opinions re things others do but as long as it isnt brought into work its not a problem

My personal opinion is that being a midwife and not being supportive of (or even preferring) breastfeeding is like being a research biologist who doesn't 'believe' in evolution. Yeah, you can probably do the job without getting fired. But if you don't understand (and act reflectively on) the science behind what you're doing, then the people who should benefit from your training will probably be done more harm than good.

My personal opinion is someone so closes minded and uncomfortable and clearly ignorant with something along those lines should NOT be a midwife. Women that have just had babies need support on whatever decision they make, and from what you're saying here this friend sounds like she will ram her beliefs down peoples throats.

So my answer is a hope she is not able to become a midwife... for the sake and well being of the women she would encounter to make uncomfortable.

I would imagine that once she starts training and actually bothers to learn about BF and its benefits as I am assuming she will have to do as part of the course her mind will change. If it doesn't, then no, I don't think she will be a good midwife, unless she is able to let her professionalism take over and educate new mums on the benefits of BF and not let her own feelings come into it.

She probably could be a midwife but the question is more whether she should be one.

IMO, no I don't think she should. The only caveat to that is if she is a super professional, rule abiding person with good acting skills!

Pregnancy and birth is such a hormonal time (as we all know!) and us ladies can be very sensitive to things during this time. If someone is on the fence about breastfeeding, or having a tough time at the start of their breastfeeding journey, they could easily be put off by a wrongly worded comment. I find it hard to believe (although I'm sure there are some exceptions) that someone anti-breastfeeding can offer the encouragement and support that women need. At the end of the day the recommendation is to breastfeed and if she doesn't agree with that how can she back it completely?

She may be able to give the facts and tell you that it is best to bf but I believe we need more good support for breastfeeding mothers, not more average support.

She sounds very uneducated and I don't think she should be a midwife. Why on earth would you be against bf. I understand and I completly agree in everyone's personal choice to either bf or bf but I have never met anyone who has said they are "against bf" :wacko:

As long as she can keep her personal feelings aside. I can't see it would be a problem.

I think as a midwife it's important to be open minded in everything, and to educate yourself to allow for that. I'm talking medicated/natural births, EE, FF, and BF, cosleeping and cot sleeping, everything. Otherwise, unless they're a fantastic actor, their attitudes will be noticeable, though not to them, IYKWIM? And with BF, and the main problem being that doctors and midwives are so lacking in knowledge about it, having someone who is unsupportive is the last thing we need. I mean, how many of us have had midwives/health visitors/doctors telling us to just quit and formula feed?! We certainly don't need more of it. Plus a large part of being a midwife is helping new mums to BF, how can she do that if she feels uncomfortable even being in the room?

She probably could be a midwife but the question is more whether she should be one.

IMO, no I don't think she should. The only caveat to that is if she is a super professional, rule abiding person with good acting skills!

Pregnancy and birth is such a hormonal time (as we all know!) and us ladies can be very sensitive to things during this time. If someone is on the fence about breastfeeding, or having a tough time at the start of their breastfeeding journey, they could easily be put off by a wrongly worded comment. I find it hard to believe (although I'm sure there are some exceptions) that someone anti-breastfeeding can offer the encouragement and support that women need. At the end of the day the recommendation is to breastfeed and if she doesn't agree with that how can she back it completely?

She may be able to give the facts and tell you that it is best to bf but I believe we need more good support for breastfeeding mothers, not more average support.

Said it much better than me! :thumbup:

I think she is entitled to her opinion, yet she should not let that come across, and promote and encourage breastfeeding. It would be her job though, so I can imagine she would. Yet if you say she left when you were feeding and it made her uncomfortable... then she should probably re-evaluate becoming a midwife, shes going to see a lotttt of boobies haha!

I have trouble understanding how someone could be against feeding your baby. I find that odd, to be honest. Could she be a midwife? I guess so, but I'd wonder if her views on breastfeeding would be obvious to her patients because of her body language, and if she could unintentionally discourage women from breastfeeding because of that.

There's probably many midwifes who are against formula feeding but still offer advice and support to those who chose to go thisway.

Before my LO was my midwife would tell me about all the benefits of breastfeeding etc but after LO was born I struggled with it (due to lack of support from hospital staff) - when I told my midwife that I had decided to formula feed instead, she never gave me the impression she was against it or anything like that (even though she might well be deep down). She offered advice on how to clean bottles, how to prepare them and other useful stuff. She was definitely opened minded about it and never made me feel bad about my choice.

However if someone is dead against it then how could they offer support to those who choose to do this? I don't think she could really offer the support someone needs when they decide they want to breastfeed. I mean, is she dead against it all together, or just in public kind of thing?

I think us health workers should ideally practise what we preach. If she has personally decided breast feeding is not for her then that may be ok but if she's actively against it I don't think she should be a mid wife. She may give off subconscious vibes that she finds it wrong.
I don't know why she would want to be a midwife if she is actively against bfing, its a relatively small but important part of the job to support new mums with it. It certainly wouldn't go down well at interview for her to admit that.

My question would be whether she is able to offer the help and support a new mum needs with breastfeeding. When my lo was born the midwife would literally grab my boob, squeeze the nipple and put it in baby's mouth. Could she do that? If she thinks breastfeeding should be done in private I would think she wouldn't feel comfortable doing that and therefore shouldn't train as a midwife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->