• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

can you be a midwife if you are actively against breastfeeding?

My question would be whether she is able to offer the help and support a new mum needs with breastfeeding. When my lo was born the midwife would literally grab my boob, squeeze the nipple and put it in baby's mouth. Could she do that? If she thinks breastfeeding should be done in private I would think she wouldn't feel comfortable doing that and therefore shouldn't train as a midwife.

Exactly. I had a midwife do the same in hospital and also hand expressing colostrum for me! If she can't stay in the same room as someone feeding then how could she do things like that?!?

I would be interested to know from those that thought it would be ok for her to be a midwife whether you formula fed or perhaps had a relatively easy breastfeeding journey? No judgements, I just wonder whether that would perhaps have an effect on your opinion?

I would say being pro breastfeeding would be a must! I don't think, for those who and kudos already, they have to have breastfed themselves though. I am pro breastfeeding but haven't breastfed much for various reasons, mostly lack of support.

I think she's training in the wrong job tbh. I FF but you cannot bring your personal opinion to your profession. She should be open minded, not closed and it'll soon be picked up by her tutors. Maybe some educating on BF & FF would be in need.

is she against vaginas too? :haha:

She would not be allowed to give her opinion at all and any reports of her not being pro breastfeeding would get her in big trouble. IMO shes going into the wrong line of work.

I don't think being pro formula/against breastfeeding should go against you when becoming a midwife IF you can keep your opinion to yourself and be able to act professionally in the role.

I have no idea what the opinion the midwives/nurses had when I stayed. It was never mentioned from them. All what was said was "From your notes you want to breastfeed, is that correct?" Then I was shown how to use the pump (expressed due to LO in SCBU) then the nurses in SCBU helped with breastfeeding. There was never any comment for/against BFing from the staff.

I don't think your opinions on bottle feeding or breast feeding should go for or against you when becoming a midwife as long as your not ramming your opinion down people's throats and try to be as unbiased as possible then that should be fine I think x

Has she been accepted to study midwifery yet? I'd imagine that either she'll get turned away if she expresses anti breastfeeding views (like it or not, the NHS promotes breastfeeding and MW's are obliged to promote and encourage it) or she'll learn about BF'ing and change her point of view. There's just no way they'd let her qualify as a midwife if she starts leaving the room when women start breastfeeding!
Offering feeding support is an essential part of being a midwife, she will need to be clued up on both breast feeding and formula feeding. Unless she's able to lead breastfeeding antenatal classes, show new mothers how to latch their baby, relieve an engorged breast etc how can she do the job?!

My question would be whether she is able to offer the help and support a new mum needs with breastfeeding. When my lo was born the midwife would literally grab my boob, squeeze the nipple and put it in baby's mouth. Could she do that? If she thinks breastfeeding should be done in private I would think she wouldn't feel comfortable doing that and therefore shouldn't train as a midwife.

Exactly. I had a midwife do the same in hospital and also hand expressing colostrum for me! If she can't stay in the same room as someone feeding then how could she do things like that?!?

I would be interested to know from those that thought it would be ok for her to be a midwife whether you formula fed or perhaps had a relatively easy breastfeeding journey? No judgements, I just wonder whether that would perhaps have an effect on your opinion?

I had a very difficult time breastfeeding with ds1. Had significant damage to my nipples (still scarred almost three years later) and ended up expressing til 6 months with some combo feeding with formula thrown in. I had lots of support from midwives and health visitors along the way. I have nonidea what their personal beliefs were in breastfeeding as they never told me.
I do think that as long as you can be professional and offer appropriate support and guidance then your personal feeling shouldn't be relevant.

It is possible to not share your personal opinions in work. The first post merely says she doesn't think that breastfeeding should be in public, not that she is actively against it. And even if she felt that way doesn't mean her mouth would open and her opinion would have to come out.

In my job I have often thought the people I am dealing with are scummy disgusting chamcers who are out to screw my business over or steal from us. Doesnt mean Ive ever said it or let them know Im thinking it. BF is part of the job but there are so many other parts. She might be absolutely wonderful at helping mums through labour, or a great resource for information for a pregnant mum. Why shouldn't she be able to do these things if she enjoys it because of a part of her job she might not enjoy as much. Im sure we have all had jobs where we hated some bits of it and enjoyed others.

As long as she can separate her personal opinions from her professional stance then it shouldn't be a problem.

I would never want a midwife who felt that way about breastfeeding.

But if she was professional and helpful to me regardless of her views, then I'd never know, so it wouldn't matter!

I agree that as long as she keeps it to herself it makes no difference. I worked in health care for years. You have to do things which you think are gross all the time - clearing up vomit etc and dealing with people who bring most of their problems on themselves (diabetic eating cake etc) but you learn to not react, to be cheerful, to not make the patient uncomfortable, to be non judgmental. As long as she is like this when people ask for help with BF it doesn't matter in the slightest what she thinks inside.

Midwives support women who are drug users, alcoholics etc. They won't agree with their lifestyle however they will support and care for them just like any other women. I think it will be hard for your friend to be a midwife if she is so against breastfeeding....but as long as it doesnt come across that she is and supports women in their decisions then she might be ok.

There are loads of things a midwife has to officially encourage or discourage. For example my midwife had to formally warn me against cosleeping. However, I really doubt that if someone pro-cosleeping posted about wanting to train to be a midwife, that anyone would reply that her views are completely incompatible with the profession. I imagine advice would just be to give the party line but also offer safe guidelines if someone needed them.

I would prefer to see someone who was supportive, understanding, experienced and very knowledgeable of breastfeeding...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->