Can you give me one piece of your valuable advice?

With the lansinoh, put it on before feeds and before the shower too as water is really drying. After a feed rub breast milk over your nipple, let it dry and then put on the lansinoh. You won't need to do this forever, but it'll help while your nipples get used to feeding.

Make sure you sit in a good position, you're going to be doing it a lot and you don't want to hurt your back. I have 2 pillows behind my back so that my feet are flat on the floor. Remember take the baby to the boob, not boob to the baby.

I bought a sports bottle that I or my DH keep topped up with water at all times. I have everything set up near the seat I feed in, house phone, charger for my mobile, water, juice, lansinoh, vitamins, telly remote, muslin cloth etc. I also kept a box of cereal bars there in the early days for snacks. I bought oat ones since oats are good for your supply.

That's more than one tip but hopefully it all helps :)

My best piece of advice is to find a health care professional who is 100% suppotive of breastfeeding and is knowledgeable on the subject as well. My newest lo has had slow weight gain but otherwise has been peeing and pooping as she should while meeting all of her developmental milestones as she should. I was at one point being seen by my public health nurse, family doctor and a lactation consultant. The doctor and public health nurse recognized she had reflux and was obviously thriving despite being small and focused on fixing the reflux, whereas the lactation consultant blew me off by saying well your baby needs to gain weight you'll probably have to supplement. If i had listened to her I'm sure our breastfeeding journey would be over right now, so I think finding a medical professional who is supportive of your choices is incredibly important.

Babies will often feed around every two hours at first and then would stretch out for longer. When they go through growth spurts they will cluster feed. You could be pinned to the sofa for hours, but it doesn't mean that you don't have enough milk, this is just a popular myth. It's normal and just part of a growth spurt. Put the TV on, come on BnB, surround yourself with snacks, enjoy the snuggles and it will help to pass the time The baby will usually pull off the breast when full. Sometimes they can fall asleep in a feed. Mine was a very drowsy baby for the first month. I used to strip her to her vest and blow gently on her arm or tickle her hand and she would start feeding again until full. They will usually let you know when they're hungry.

Lansinoh nipple cream is good for cracked nipples. It's a little pricy but lasts ages. I still have a lot of the tube left now and haven't needed it since the first few months.

www.kellymom.com is a useful site with loads of information and troubleshooting on there. It helps also if you have a breastfeeding consultant in your area? We have just the one in this area and she's worth her weight in gold. There are so many myths and misinformation out there and sometimes even midwives and doctors don't have a proper knowledge about breastfeeding. The first few weeks are hard but it gets sooo much easier :D

Ladies thank you so much, this means so much to me to get organised and succeed!!

The first few days learn how to lay in bed and nurse on your side, sit in the chair skin to and nurse. Like rachel said boob boob boob...

Learning to nurse on your side in bed will save your sleep sanity!!! You can get some rest while baby is eating even if it's not full on sleep it will make you feel better.

Totally ^^ this.

I had trouble, not with the latch (water birth and he latched immediately afterwards), but with how to hold my baby as I was a new Mum and seemed to 'not quite get the angle'. I also seemed to have an extra arm... Anyway.

On the first night after he was born I remembered one of my friends nursed lying down so I gave that a go. I also remembered my Mum saying something about tucking a baby under your armpit (not quite so please don't try it - My Mum is a non-native English speaker so things do get a little lost in translation). She was referring to the rugby ball hold/football hold. Good with pillows that one!

He fed like a dream and after a couple of weeks when he and I were more confident about feeding I could try different holds and positions. I swear I could now boobie him upside down. He was 6lb 3 oz and 4th percentile when he was born. He's now about 17lbs and nearly 75th. Exclusively boobied.

Oh yes - in case anyone hasn't mentioned it... Boobie all the time.

Have snacks as well.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->