• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Can you guess the pronunciation by the spelling?

Beadle

Reaction score
I found out that I'm having a boy and I'm absolutely ecstatic. I've been in love with a specific boy name for years now, but now that I'm finally having a boy I'm having doubts about whether people will be able to figure out how to say the name by the spelling alone, and if it's too unique and he'll get teased or something like that, especially since his sisters have more common names (Maya and Lilah).

Anyway, the name is Kairan (maybe changing the "a" for an "o", but I'm not sure yet). The pronunciation would be "K-eye-rin", with a soft "i" like with "in". When I told my grandma about it earlier and spelled it for her she told me people would think his name was Karen and give him a stigma. I'm also in America, so I'm not sure if that matters since I know countries pronounce letter combinations differently.

I chose the name/spelling based loosely on the Greek centaur and teacher Chiron, and one of the ways to pronounce it. I loved the name and his story, but didn't like the spelling, and one variation of the spelling of his name is Kheiron but I thought that looked too much like it'd be pronounced "Key-ron" so I opted for a new spelling, but obviously now I'm not too sure on that spelling anymore.

So yeah, I'd like some opinions on the spelling, or even just the name in general. I have a backup that I was in love with before Kairan that I can fall back on (Zander), but I kind of have my heart set on it and want to find a way to make it work, even if I have to tweak the spelling a little more. I have no clue on a middle name too so I can't give any input on that for spelling, and if you have any neat suggestions for a middle name I'd appreciate that too <3 Sorry for the long post, and thank you.

I looked at it and said KY ran.

I have a similar issue. Dd2 is lana. Said as Lawn-nah. People say lane-nah. She is 11 and corrects them

I do really like the name but I can defibrillator see your dilemma.

These days even the simplest name can have widely different spellings and pernounciation due to people trying to be unique.

Additional ways to spell:

Kyron
Kyran
Kyrin
Kieron
Kieran (this one people could pronounce k-ear-in)
Kierin
Kieryn

Using the “ch” at the beggining of the Name would be tricky as people have a tendency to want to say the “ch” sound.

I am no help on middle names really.

I did get the pronunciation right but can see it being said wrong or confused for Kieran (key-rin).

Thank you all for your replies.

And SummerMother thank you for the alternative spellings, the only thing I worry about with the Kie- starters is people thinking it's "Key". And I agree with the "ch" start, that's why I altered it to a K, even I was thinking the ch sound for Chiron at first lol

I guess I said it like Kieran in my head. But honestly just use the name and spelling you like and you and he will have to correct people. You can have a seriously common name and people still mispronounce it. My daughter’s name is Madeline and even when I introduce her with the soft “lynn” pronunciation people still call her Mad-uh-LINE. I just correct them and don’t worry about it.

I also have to spell my name every time because it’s Lindsey and every single time “do you spell that with an e or an a?” I just expect it.

I pronounced it correctly... kai-rin. I think Kairan is a good spelling bc most people know how to pronounce Kai and if that's his nickname it definitely makes sense.

Kyron would be the most straightforward spelling though, in my opinion. Like Byron except with a K.

I do think Kairan will be mispronounced sometimes and you will be correcting people. I also think when ppl hear it, they may hear Karen in their head depending on people's accents. (I know a guy named Keiran and he hates his name... he said everyone thinks it's Karen.)

I would go with Zander... it's nice and handsome and no headaches with it.

Echoing what Ruby said above.

Hope you land on a name and spelling you love

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"