Can you have honey?

Shorty88

Mama to 3 beautiful children x
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I have a nasty cough and cold.

Doctor won't give me anything not even over the counter cough bottle!

Said I was only allowed hot water lemon and honey and then asked again how many weeks I am and then said no sorry you can't have honey just hot water and lemon.

He signed me off work for a week to rest (with a 18 month old that is impossible)

Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks

Never heard of that. You certainly can have honey. I had honey on toast for breakfast today - yum!

I think your Dr is confused, it is babies under one who aren't allowed honey, not pregnant women.

WSS^^

I've been eating honey with fruit everyday (finally a healthy craving). Nothing online I've found has said that this is bad for baby. I mean maybe call your doctor's surgery for a second opinion if you're really worried?

Also, it is supposed to be safe to take cough linctus whilst pregnant. My doctor recommended this to me when I was suffering with a nasty cough :) really helped!

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a549799/over-the-counter-medicines-in-pregnancy

Of course you can have honey. And halls, and fishermen's friends. There are actually a variety of pregnancy friendly cold/cough options. Vicks rub is pretty much my best friend.

I've seen the same thing said in other places about honey in the first trimester, something to do with a risk of contracting botulism. The advice I got was to make sure the honey is pasteurized and don't use an already open jar if you're worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->