Can you have mastitis with very few symptoms?

Amy_T

Mummy of 3 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi all.... I have what I think is a blocked duct but a few people have said to get it checked for mastitis. I felt rough last night but feel better today although my breast is very red, hot and tender. I have no high temperature or anything... Is the pain/redness in my breast enough to warrant sitting in a GP surgery for hours?! I know the only way to know is to get medical advice but I've never had mastitis and wondered whether it's something that can occur without the flu like symptoms or discharge.

I was wondering the same, have had one hot painful and swollen breast today but not really any other symptoms, currently attached to the pump trying to drain it before next feed to see if it helps as no doubt my doctor won't be able to see me!

I've had it without the flu symptoms before, how red is it? My mastitis lump was very red but plugged duct less so x

I've had a blocked duct before and it's definitely redder this time! It cleared after a day or two last time and this only appeared yesterday but I'm just conscious it's the weekend soon and I won't have access to my GP! I know people who have been really ill with it... I don't have time to be poorly so hoping it's just a blocked duct, baby is sucking now so will hopefully help! I've had hot water bottle on it, hot showers, massage etc so fingers crossed.

Is it the redness that would distinguish it from being a blocked duct then?

If it's very red then as far as I'm aware it signifies infection so I'd get it checked out if I were you x

Thank you, I'll see if it's the same in the morning and maybe get checked if still very red. The nhs website lists tiredness as a symptom... I have 3 children, I'm always tired!! I've got awful headache again now though but will put that down to tiredness as well!

I hope you're ok...I think it sounds like mastitis too. The redness is a giveaway from what I've read. Feel better :hugs:

I have had mastitis 2x... both times I was very sick.
Feverish, fatigues, unwell... not to mention, including all the plugged duct symptoms.
It was so sore and red... my bra felt restricting, even grazing my breast was torturous.
I was able to clear it up on my own by drinking lots of water, resting, not pushing myself too hard, and getting DH to do a lot for me.
A HOT cloth also helped my situation.
I also had LO nurse on the affected side first (even if it wasn't that sides turn) and I would gently massage my breast to get the flow moving).
Both times I've had mastitis, it's been in the same breast. The first time, DD was 2 weeks and the 2nd time, DD was 8mo.

Good luck. It's such a pain. But I'm sure you'll be able to get it cleared in no time!

nursing while dangling over LO helps a lot too, the gravity will help pull that clog out.

hope you're feeling better!

Thanks everyone, it cleared on its own within a day with lots of warmth, massage and feeding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->