CAN you prepare for breast feeding?!

cupcaker

Reaction score
First time around, i breastfed my son from birth, and by week 3, felt like i was killing myself with it...agony from the off basically. Problem was, he was gaining weight brilliantly, and this combined with generic guilt made me suffer on. I got treated for mastitis in this week too, (although i feel this was a separate pain/issue) and carried on.

At week 4, he had a tongue tie snipped. but it made buggar all difference. At 6 weeks i began combi feeding and expressing as much as poss (to avoid actual contact on the boobs) and by 9 weeks he was formula fed....and i felt liberated , relieved and sane again.

I want to give next baby a chance at it. Im nervous....possibly more nervous than birthing her. I gave birth last time on gas and air and would merrily do that again over the pain of breastfeeding. Easily the worst part for me.

Im worried its just me. I feel my nipples are sensitive, i dont like them touched in general and am dreading a repeat performance. CAN you prepare!? If i use nipple cream right away ,from birth or before, will i make it worse by softening them up!? I did try shields and stuff last time and they didnt offer a lot of help. Could a different baby differ in habits maybe? Confused x

TBH - no, I don't think so. Literally yes, as in buy breastpads, comfy nursing bras and tops, and take out shares in Lansinoh cream (apply it thick as you can from the get go)...

Personally I set myself the goal of 2 weeks. I would do two weeks and then see how I felt... I ended up going for 14 months!! Combination of DD refused the bottle, had dairy allergies and tbh I didn't know how to stop (please don't laugh).So I guess mentally - set yourself a realistic target.

However pls. don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work, too many of my friends have BF regrets whereas I often tell them they dodged a bullet!! My OH didn't get up once in the night for 14 months because he couldn't do anything!! (Sod!!!) xx

Somewhat, in that I think it's useful to understand beforehand what newborn breast feeding behaviour is normal i.e. cluster feeding. It might also be good to know of what BFing support is available in your area, as in my experience the midwives are so busy and cant give much help. Not sure you can prepare for the emotional rollercoaster and physical struggle though. I used lanisoh nipple cream from the first feed, rather than waiting until it got sore. That def helped, but it was still so hard, especially during the 3 week growth spurt where my dd cluster fed for hours on end. That said though, looking back it was a short amount of time we struggled and things got much easier after 6 weeks. I ended up feeding until dd self weaned during the first tri at 22 months. Good lu k with whatever you decide x

I'll be preparing by buying bottles, electric breast pump and everything I could possibly need for BFing and expressing. With my son, I tried him exclusively on the breast, but he wouldn't latch, then expressed.
This time I'll be combi feeding for sure. I know I couldn't handle the cluster feeds, as well as the sore boobs and the feeling of guilt when I couldn't breast feed.

To save me from that hell this time, I'll establish breast feeding (hopefully) then introduce expressed bottle feeding. If the little lady is good, feeds well, and I don't become an emotional wreck I'll probably carry on with the breast.

I just know it doesn't always go to plan, and my mental well being is far more important to me than the stress of exclusively breast feeding

But you never know, it could be a breeze, or I could have milk issues and formula feed haha.

I agree with Rickles.... I don't think there is a way to prepare for it. It has a lot to do with how your baby learns to latch on. You cant duplicate that ahead of time. You just don't know. You have to try to get a proper latch on and I think it takes a couple weeks for your nips to get used to it. At least thats how its been for me in the past.... Right now I'm still nursing my toddler and it hurts so bad..... I think from the pregnancy hormones....

cupcaker I feel the same way. Labour was a walk in the park in comparison. My experience was very similar to yours. He was a 'good feeder', with a slight TT (that they wouldn't do anything about) and I felt like the problem was with me and my flipping nipples. I combi-fed until 5mths when he pretty much self-weaned. The colic and reflux issues meant he started solids early and as soon as he started to eat he would snack rather than feed. I had always intended to do 2-3wks and if it worked do up until 8wks, but it took until 7/8 to get the hang of it. I'm hoping this time that I will have the strength to stop if I have the same problems. Breastfeeding made me pretty miserable, and the first 6wks of having a newborn is the bit I'm dreading the most about having number 2. It took me a lot of time to think about doing that part (not pregnancy or labour) again.

TBH - no, I don't think so. Literally yes, as in buy breastpads, comfy nursing bras and tops, and take out shares in Lansinoh cream (apply it thick as you can from the get go)...

Personally I set myself the goal of 2 weeks. I would do two weeks and then see how I felt... I ended up going for 14 months!! Combination of DD refused the bottle, had dairy allergies and tbh I didn't know how to stop (please don't laugh).So I guess mentally - set yourself a realistic target.

However pls. don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work, too many of my friends have BF regrets whereas I often tell them they dodged a bullet!! My OH didn't get up once in the night for 14 months because he couldn't do anything!! (Sod!!!) xx

You make me feel so much better...I didn't know how to stop either!

Agree that using lansinoh cream after every feed is crucial. Tongue ties really suck. It set me and my lo back for months and only sheer stubbornness kept me breast feeding until things got easy. Perhaps this lo won't have a tongue tie and bf'Ing can be an all around different experience for you?

I agree with Rickles.... I don't think there is a way to prepare for it. It has a lot to do with how your baby learns to latch on. You cant duplicate that ahead of time. You just don't know. You have to try to get a proper latch on and I think it takes a couple weeks for your nips to get used to it. At least thats how its been for me in the past.... Right now I'm still nursing my toddler and it hurts so bad..... I think from the pregnancy hormones....

I don't know how you are doing it - my nips are still SO SORE!!! I wondered if bf meant they were on full alert this time as I'm sure it faded by the second tri with DD.

Dont forget every baby is different.

I made it to 5 weeks with my first and was heartbroken when I stopped but it just wasn't working. So with my second I put no pressure on it - if she doesnt latch I will bottle feed - she tjen breastfed until 15 months!!!

With my third again no pressure - just take it day by day and don't put yourself down whatever work best for you and baby is best.

It's genuinely liberating to see such a positive thread actually supporting women who struggle(d) to breastfeed!

I support breastfeeding and am fully aware of all the benefits etc etc but why scares me is the extreme pressure put on women now a days with it. Breast is best - therefore if you bottle feed you have failed - you are not providing the best source of nutrition to your lo! That's quite a pill to swallow as a new mum - we all want to do the very best!
I'm not saying that breastfeeding shouldn't be promted - it should but be a bit more balanced I think. Here's an example - at my booking in appointment at 8 weeks my midwife asked how if like to feed baby this time - I said if like to try and breastfeed again - oh good she says as I think it's particular relevant or you. At this point she slides an old black and white copy of the governments 'latest' benefits of breastfeeding and points to a picture of a hyperdermic needle - beside it is a capsule that says 'breastfeedig reduces your child's chances of developing diabetes'. This has been pointed out because my 7 year old son is type 1 diabetic.
As a mother I have extensively researched type 1 and I can tell you that diet in all if it's shapes and forms DOES NOT have any impact on whether or not you get type 1 diabetes. Either your body possesses the antibody that kills off the cells in your pancreas that produces insulin or it does not. Hamburgers, chocolate or indeed breast milk will not effect the outcome.
To add insult to injury - the document in front of me - the midwife assured me - was printed recently within the last few years - why then, I asked did the picture show a hyperdermic needle and not an epi pen! Scare mongering and in my opinion a negative picture of type 1 diabetics!!! My son faces predjudice everyday - he is often the only one in the class not invited to birthday parties nor is he ever invited for tea at other childrens houses he deals with having to prick his finger and take injections at least 4 times a day. And what really grinds me is here is the nhs slamming negative pictures and wrong infomation at people at a vulnerable time!!!!

Can I add in - I have smaller knowledge of type 2. But I'm pretty sure that any effects breastmilk have in comparison to diet exercise and weight management are surely minimal. Type 2 is a completely different thin to type 1 it is insulin resistance your body does not Create enough insulin or does not respond as well to it. This is quite different to the chronic lifetime illness type 1 diabetes where your body does not have the ability to produce it's own insulin at all!!!

If I had not educated myself in the causes and intricacies of type 1 would I blame myself for failing to breastfeed Duncan because I didn't have a good support network and nipples bled and I couldn't bond because I associated holding him and feeding him with pain.

This is why I think they sometimes take things too far!

I am pro breastfeeding - it has many benefits, but now a days it seems we are scared into doing it - your child will be fat, your child will have wonky teeth, you may increase your chances of breast cancer, your child may be at higher risk of cancer, your baby will be at increased risk if they don't get those antibodies.

Is it any wonder there is an increase in post natal depression...

You did amazing to keep trying through all you went through with it.

I remember it really hurt both times to begin withdo much so, I was sat biting my first and crying in pain. Once I got through the initial week or so, it was plain sailing. Lansinoh cream was my life saver-I'm not even attempting to go without it this time. It's a must!

Not sure I can be of any real use in this thread as this is my first baby and so have never breastfed, but I wanted to give my (inexperienced) two cents in case it helps another woman feel supported.

I absolutely feel that breast is best, but am so, so saddened by the bullying and blame culture I have witnessed around breastfeeding. I have every intention of breast feeding all of my LOs and will give it my all, but will never let anyone make me feel like less of a mother if it doesn't work out.

I once saw one of those 'inspirational' type things on Facebook that really stuck with me. It was something like:
"To the mothers who are breastfeeding - good for you, it can be really tough but you're doing a great, natural thing for your child. To the mothers bottle or formula feeding - isn't it amazing that modern day science allows us to still give our children the best when we are no longer able to."
Well actually I'm not sure I have really captured that very well haha, but the point was putting a positive spin on either choice, and that there is no right or wrong.

I plan to do lots of research, figure out my support networks, and do my best. Whether I last for ten days or ten months, I won't beat myself up about it. I won't chicken out at the first hurdle, but if I end up in agony, frustrated and with a hungry baby, I'm not going to punish us both for months on end out of sheer arrogance or fear.

Stopping breast feeding after a few weeks of doing your absolute best is NOT the same as not trying in the first place for no good reason.

With katie I mentioned bf from the start and oh said no as he wasn't aware of the benefits... we went to an antenatal class and oh asked me to breastfeed once he'd heard the benefits.
I only lasted 5 weeks but my tips would be:
Have some formula in the house just in case it doesn't work out.
Research different positions, I had stitches and it hurt so bad to sit up so when I learned you could bf lying down it was a lifesaver.
Have the full support of people around you, I lived with my parents and they weren't 100% supportive which made me feel awkward feeding in front of them and I couldn't discuss any problems with them as they would just tell me to bottle feed her.
Remember that every baby is different, not everything that you read online will work for you and your baby.
Good luck xxx

I cannot offer any advice as this is our first, and no one in my family has breastfed. However, I am working full time and will be returning to work (which means I'll have to pump) and definitely plan on trying the bf thing. I have some friends who have given some advice to me but I can admit that I am nervous that it won't work out. My husband is supportive because breast is best and he believes that I can do it, but told me that I cannot beat myself up over it if it doesn't work out.

Reading this thread has helped to ease some of the nervousness that I have about trying something that I don't have experience with. However, I am taking a class at the hospital called ABCs of breastfeeding and I hope that will help answer my questions! It will be tough, but I am willing to try anything for my little man. I just hope we're successful.

Ive never seen the bullying method of breastfeeding encouragement....but i know some people do see formula feeding as a negative thing. I think breastfeeding should be natural, but i also think it takes work and patience. I know a lot of women who have, sadly, given up because of the pain. I truly believe that if it still hurts after two weeks, the latch on is incorrect, but that breastfeeding initially isn't going to be painless. Its very painful in the beginning. Ive breast fed three children and with each child two weeks later the pain subsided. I always encourage women to give it a good try for two weeks. Every woman is different, but there really ARE women who give up on breastfeeding for their own satisfaction and not due to the baby not being able to nurse. Some give up after the milk comes in because they think they cant produce enough...but honestly, if you have never breastfed, your body doesn't know how much milk to make. So the longer you try with baby at breast the more your body will learn to produce. Your body will produce as much milk as baby is demanding. You just have to train your body. That comes in the few days after baby is born, but i see many women giving up. Not every women does, but realistically, how did women way back 100s of years ago their babies when formula was not invented? So it IS possible for majority of women to breastfeed. It just takes time and patience. Good luck to all of us!

There are ways to prepare and become educated and familiar with proper latch techniques, feeding/hungry cues, the benefits of on demand feeding, and what signs to look for that signal a problem.

Breast milk is optimal, standard nutrition, for all mammals. There's no way around that scientific fact. It's optimal nutrition. It is still a practice that requires patience and a learning period for both mom and baby.

I dealt with significant pain for a week due to poor latch with my first. The first four to five days were the worst of it, and it slowly got better as we both became familiar with proper latching techniques. For the most part, breastfeeding was easy peasy after the first week. She nursed for 16 months. I did deal with a few clogged ducts here and there, but nothing major.

With my second, I don't recall any latch problems, but I did deal with recurring thrush for, gosh, 10 weeks? It was horrible, and made me really dislike breastfeeding because of the pain. It hurt every time she nursed, but I stuck it out, and the thrush ended up going away after treating it with GV. She also nursed for 16 months.

Now, my third, since I wasn't at all new to breastfeeding, I hoped and thought it would be a simple process with him, but we had serious issues from the start. He had both an anterior and posterior (very easy to miss and often goes undiagnosed) tongue-tie and labial lip tie. He lost nearly a pound within the first few days due to insufficient milk transfer caused by the tongue-tie issues. He was almost at the point of needing to be admitted for dehydration. He also got a mild case of jaundice due to this very issue. This is when I began pumping. I had true low supply because he was unable to stimulate milk production due to the tongue ties.

So I had to work on building a supply on top of seeking one of the leading LCs in my area who specializes in tongue ties. She was sure he had both anterior and posterior tongue tie, and a lot of doctors and LCs are not familiar with posterior tongue tie. It's very easy to miss, and it contributes to a lot of breastfeeding and latch problems. I took a host of supplements and pumped with a hospital grade pump to build my supply. I pumped the bulk of his feedings, and nursed occasionally until his anterior tongue tie was clipped. We hadn't found an ENT to clip his posterior tongue tie, and there were only three known doctors on the East Coast (USA) who were even familiar with them. One of them happened to have a practice in my city. Even after it was clipped it was still a struggle because he had a disorganized suck.

I wasn't able to return him to the breast full time because he wasn't transferring milk sufficiently. At times he'd nurse 17 times a day, and still struggled to gain weight. So I was forced to basically pump full time, and only nurse him in the evenings. I had a great supply, but a horrible time pumping. My right breast, while never suffers from lack of supply, it doesn't letdown very well. I have what is termed dysfunctional letdown. So it takes a long time for milk to let down, and it often required the highest and fasting setting on the pump. This meant bruised and sore nipples for both breasts. It also meant having to pump for 45 minutes each time to get enough milk from my right breast. I liked pumping because I was able to make a lot of milk (I yielded 48-52 oz a day) and he put on a lot of weight, but it was a long and painful process for 5 months.

My LC was surprised I didn't stop breastfeeding because we had so many hurdles and challenges, but I was determined to make it work. At 5.5 months I stopped pumping and completely weaned my right breast and began supplementing a little to make up for what he wasn't getting from that breast. He rejected it due to the dysfunctional letdown. Things were much, much better after I stopped pumping and decided to wean that side. He went back to the breast (left) easily, and nursed until 21 months.

I know what struggling with breastfeeding is like. I've been through months and months of tears, break downs, worried doctor's appointments, and a lot of pain. I had a lot of support and tried to stay positive and optimistic. Those experiences gave me insight, and valuable information on various matters of breastfeeding. I know what to look for in the event of such problems, and how to remedy them. Those experiences gave me even more confidence than I had before, and I was pretty well versed and knowledgeable on breastfeeding literature and data beforehand.

So, yes, there are ways you can prepare, but having patience, being familiar with the common struggles, and having a support system in place, is a good place to start.

I fed my first for 6 months and found it a lot easier than bottles. However, I did give up as soon as she started fussing and resisting which I really really regret. I know I could have tired harder. I hoping next baby takes to it as easily and know I will persevere much longer if I can this time. I have learned that so much is dependent on baby. My sil tried and tried to feed her first. She was obsessed and got loads of help but it just didn't happen. I went into hospital an hour after her second was born and we tried differed positions etc together and she was loads more relaxed. She's now been feeding for 9 months. I think it's very dependent on baby and the support you get. Talk to your midwife about how you feel and maybe speak to some people who have fed. But most of all don't beat yourself up if it doesn't happen. Just know you've done all you can and be confident in your decisions xx

Ive never seen the bullying method of breastfeeding encouragement....but i know some people do see formula feeding as a negative thing. I think breastfeeding should be natural, but i also think it takes work and patience. I know a lot of women who have, sadly, given up because of the pain. I truly believe that if it still hurts after two weeks, the latch on is incorrect, but that breastfeeding initially isn't going to be painless. Its very painful in the beginning. Ive breast fed three children and with each child two weeks later the pain subsided. I always encourage women to give it a good try for two weeks. Every woman is different, but there really ARE women who give up on breastfeeding for their own satisfaction and not due to the baby not being able to nurse. Some give up after the milk comes in because they think they cant produce enough...but honestly, if you have never breastfed, your body doesn't know how much milk to make. So the longer you try with baby at breast the more your body will learn to produce. Your body will produce as much milk as baby is demanding. You just have to train your body. That comes in the few days after baby is born, but i see many women giving up. Not every women does, but realistically, how did women way back 100s of years ago their babies when formula was not invented? So it IS possible for majority of women to breastfeed. It just takes time and patience. Good luck to all of us!

This was not the case for me. My body would not produce the amount of milk that dd needed- even with me living through the pain. I didn't respond to the pump at all- a few drops is all I would get. I spent a fortune on the best lactation consultants and still nothing. Dd was screaming constantly and losing weight rapidly. I either had to supplement or she would have been admitted to the hospital. I continued to try to feed her every 2 hours and then pump afterward- leaving me with about 1/2 hour to sleep between feedings. I was miserable and not enjoying my child. Finally at 7 weeks dd refused to feed from the breast anymore. I felt so guilty, but I finally started enjoying my child. She has been off the charts for both height and weight since right after birth- actually right now she is finally on the chart for weight and still over 100th percentile for height. She is 2.5 and right now she is suffering her first very very minor cough- up til now she hadn't been sick a day in her life. Breast is not always best. Dd's pediatrician told me that in a perfect world everyone would breastfeed without issues. But in reality what is important is a fed baby, a happy baby, and a happy mom. If these things are not happening, then breast is not the best choice in that situation.

I asked my mom what people did in the past and she said other family members would nurse th child when the mom couldn't produce. Her mom nursed other children for this reason and it was not uncommon at all. So yes, maybe formula wasn't around, but that doesn't mean that women didnt have the same issues back then.

To the OP. this time I might try to take supplements to help with things and I've heard for some the second time is easier. But I now know that all I can do is give it my best and if it doesn't work I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I've got a super healthy daughter to remind me that formula is not so bad! Plus neither myself nor my siblings were bf and we are all healthy. Give it your best shot but remember that your happiness is just as important to the baby as it is to you!

I breastfed both of my children until they were a year and I hope to do the same for baby number three.

I have to echo some of the sentiments others have already expressed. Buy the breast pads, buy the lansinoh cream, buy bottles and formula just in case, get informed and seek support. I'm not sure what it's like where you're at, but they had lactation consultants in both of the hospitals I've delivered at and you could request to have them come to your room while you're in recovery to ask questions and get help with latching and other topics. They were also available even weeks or months later on if you just ask to speak to them. If you have resources like that, take full advantage of them.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

I remember with my first people telling me that breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt. Well, it hurt. It hurt until my first baby and I learned what we were supposed to be doing. He also had to be readmitted three days after we left the hospital because he had to go under the bili lamps for 72 hours. They were kind enough to give me a room and a pump in the post partum ward, but I was miserable. He needed to be fed every couple of hours and since I was breast feeding, I wanted to give him my expressed milk. I pumped and pumped and pumped but could never seem to get enough to keep up with him. I barely slept. I cried because I felt like a failure, the nurses had to start giving him formula and my breasts were so full and so hard that when I wasn't pumping I was standing under a hot shower. I felt awful. But you know what? He was okay getting formula. It was good for him. I hadn't failed him because I was unable to give him breastmilk exclusively, I'd made the right choice giving him formula because he needed it, it helped him get the excess bilirubin out of his system and he gained weight.

Remember that it is a learning process. My first son and I were eventually sucessful with breast feeding, but it was challenging until we both got the hang of it. Have patience with yourself and baby. I thought it would be easier with my second, but I still sought the help of a lactation consultant, it still took some weeks for my nipples to get used to breastfeeding again and baby had to learn how to latch on.

Consider getting a nursing pillow. I used a boppy with both boys and felt that it helped. I also didn't buy nursing bras or nursing tops until I had been breastfeeding for six weeks. It's completely up to you if you do.

Take care of yourself, remember to stay hydrated and if you do have to pump while at work, it helped me to have a picture of my babies with me.

Best of luck.

I would also add that if it still hurts after 2 wks it may not be the latch. My nipples hurt because of how deep the cracks were. Even a gently squeeze (like a hand express) would resplit the cracks. When you are dealing with cluster feeding there isn't time for the cracks and pain to ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->