Can you use nipple shields from birth?

tulip2002

Reaction score
Reason i ask is that I tried bf with my last 2 and failed as i was in so much pain continuing wasnt a option that happened both times. I never did know about shields at the time, wish i had. I had help with latching last time also and still couldnt get the hang of it. So could i use these feom birth and would it make everything great with no pain using these???

Yes, definitely, though I'd also see a breastfeeding counselor because there might be an easier solution that would be less awkward in the long run. We used them pretty much from birth, well, from about 4 days because I have flat nipples (so there is nothing to latch onto at all) and my daughter was born early so very sleepy and had no sucking reflex. They definitely helped her to be able to latch onto something, which meant we had a solid 6 weeks of EBF. I then developed a bad allergic reaction on my breasts (we're not quite sure to what, but might have been something to do with the shields, maybe to lansinoh, maybe to some sort of soap? - anyway, all the skin just peeled off), which eventually led to me having to stop BF altogether by 10 weeks. So they weren't a long-term solution for us, but we did get some solid time in and many people find they can do away with them as their babies get bigger and better able to latch. It's worth a try, though I would pair it with some good BF support too. Personally, I never had pain BF (until I developed the dermatitis, totally different though), my daughter just couldn't physically latch and stay on long enough to get my milk going, so the shields helped her to stay on.

I used nipple shields with my first not from birth but fairly soon after (I don't see why you can't use them from birth). He was tongue tied and the pain was terrible, the shields definitely helped

Nipple shields can help with pain, I know people who used them successfully for that, BUT they are not designed to be used for pain and breastfeeding can still be painful while using them. There are different sizes and badly fitting ones can cause friction. Also some babies still pinch and clamp through the shield, or because the shield causes the nipple to be bigger they don't get as big a mouthful which can cause pain too. As PP said they are designed for flat or inverted nipples.

I'm not sure if you can use them before milk is in because colostrum is produced in such small amounts and it may get stuck to the side of the shield rather than make its way to the baby. However a health professional should be able to give you more information on this.

I agree that you need some support whether with or without shields. Where are you based?

I've been using them since my baby was 2 days old. She has a monster latch and tore up both of my nipples the very first day. The lactation consultant gave me a shield right after my milk came in. The pediatrician said there's no problem with using them either. My baby girl gained birth weight and more in less than a week so the shield isn't preventing her from getting enough.

I still have pain when she latches and until she relaxes. My nipples aren't bleeding and causing me absolute insane pain so I'll take that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->