Can you use tap water for formula bottles (not pre-boiled)?

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Boiling, cooling & fridging bottles for formula I assume you do it ALL the time they are on baby milk even though you can give tap water etc from 6 months but my OH said about stopping this (boiling, cooling, fridging) & making her bottles up from water ...we have a filter kettle & a filter jug so basically at bottle time use the filter jug (no pre-boiling) but I turned my nose up at it until I looked at Google and was amzed to find people do stop using boiled, cooled water and even make up formula bottles straight from tap water if in an ok water area ...

Your thoughts girls? :confused:

i would have thought it would be ok as long as the water was filted like u no a briter water filter thingy. but hey i no expert so prob best of waitin for sum others to reply lol x x x

p.s. after all the boiling side of it is so its like sterile and filted etc. xx

We have Brita kettle & jug :D so she has always had filtered water x

yer i dont see any prob with it then i mean its filterd jus not made hot ay x

See what the other girls think/do

But I guess when you think about it it does sound like people do stop boiling along with the fact I've read people do it in fact seen some say they have never boiled water!

I think we carried on boiling and sterilising for longer than they suggest - can't remember exactly, but think we stopped sterilising at around 7-8 months and we carried on boiling for a bit longer too. I think it's better to be sure than sorry, but we live in a more hard water area so I was careful.

I don't see any reason to carry on boiling once you're not sterilising everything for her - once their immune systems are mature enough to handle any tap water and they're used to it, I can't see why there's any need to boil water for formula (they'll already have developed immunity to any bugs we have in our water) x

So you used tap water for formula Tilly at 7 months?

I'm still sterilising bottles :blush: just not resterilising if its past the 3 hours before I make up her bottles!

So you used tap water for formula Tilly at 7 months?

I'm still sterilising bottles :blush: just not resterilising if its past the 3 hours before I make up her bottles!
Na, we carried on boiling her water for a while but like I said, it's fairly hard water around here and I was over cautious. I would do the same with any of my babies though.

What age did you stop boiling her water if at all?

Our waters not great but thats why we filter.

About 8/9 months I believe (think you're speaking to me? lol) but thats really because we were really lazy and swapped to ready made. But had we not done that, we would have carried on boiling the water most likely, because it's easier to disolve the milk powder and we stored the milk in the fridge anyway, then heated it.. rather than storing water, heating it and adding the powder.

Hope that makes sense!

I've given Colton tap water since birth.
I dont know how it is over there, but here there are two types of water:
city water - with people who live in the city :dohh: and
well water - people who live in the country.
We are on city water, so it's filtered and everything before it even comes to our tap and therefore safe to use. If we lived where we would have to use well water I probably would have kept boiling it forever. :lol:

From what I've read you stop sterlising bottles around 6 months of age or so? Not sure what we'll do but I read a book that made a really good point......once the baby gets to the point that he/she is moving around and sticking everything in their mouth anyways, sterlising the bottle isn't going to make much difference.

Yer have to say I think it was countries outside the UK I seen this info on but I only looked quickly and thought I'd ask Mummies instead! :D

You're right Vickie it's 6 months, but I wanted to do it a bit longer "just in case". People may say thats silly, but I suppose like anything with being a parent, it's a personal choice.

+ WOW! how did Caitlin get to 7 months already?! I didn't realise and wondered why you were asking this question, wow.

Yer I still sterilise bottles - I might stop doing that now tbh ben thinking about it tonight!

I'm not sure what we'll end up doing tbh :shrug: We'll see what happens closer to the time ;)

You could always try her out on unboiled water for a couple of days and see how she is? I think once they start putting hands, feet, pets etc in their mouths, sterilising and boiling is less important! I'd heard that 6 months was recommended x

I always use boiled cooled water. Maybe once they reach a certain age you can be less vigilent???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->