Canadian Prenatal Vitamins

apple84

Reaction score
I've been trying to research prenatal vitamins, but some of the brands that come up I can't find in Canada. Any recommendations? I'm not vegetarian. I've read that it's important that prenatals be enteric coated. I haven't seen any that say they are. Is that really important? Also are chewable or liquid vitamins better than tablets?

My doctor had suggested that I take Materna. It's by Centrum.

Only issue I really found with them was when I took them in the morning, it cause me to be very queasy all day. So I take them while I'm getting ready for bed, and no issues!

I have definitely seen Materna, but I was leaning more towards a twice a day vitamin. From what I understand, most vitamins (specifically water-soluble ones) are flushed out of your system quite regularly and so taking two a day (each with half of the vitamin amounts) it seems that the body would have a more constant supply of vitamins. I did find a two a day one at GNC and I'm going to try it out. I guess if you have bad morning sickness, though, you might not want to have to take two a day:)

My doctor recommended (and I'm using) PregVit. It's by prescription, so it's more expensive (about $95 for three months), but if you have a good drug plan I think it's great (my plan covered 100%). It's a two-a-day pill; the one in the morning is high in iron, the one at night is high in calcium. The regular pills have folic acid, but you can get another version that has a higher dose, if your doctor thinks it's necessary.
Hope this helps!

I picked up my prescription of PregVit last night and boy is it expensive! :shock: $39.99 for a 30-day package.

I am on Materna as well, sometimes even a no-name brand, all you need to do is compare the ingrediants, they are all pretty much the same. My doc recommend I be on them while TTC.

:hug:

I took Materna but it made me sick so I switched to Safeway brand.

I felt sick on Materna too!!

Switched to Life brand, lol.. which was like $19.99 for 90 tablets! It included folic acid & iron and a long list of other things, lol.

I take the Life Brand prenatal as well as an extra 2 mg of folic acid. My midwife didn't say anything when I told her that's what I was taking so I'm guessing they are fine.

I take Materna by Centrum, it can be hard on your tummy if you havent eaten anything, but normally I dont have a problem.

I just bought some centrum 'materna' ones, and am starting them tomorrow (we will be TTC soon) - I hope they don't make me nauseous! :)

My doctor had suggested that I take Materna. It's by Centrum.

Only issue I really found with them was when I took them in the morning, it cause me to be very queasy all day. So I take them while I'm getting ready for bed, and no issues!

my doc sudjested materna as well and thats what im currantly taking :)

Materna as well...I take them in the evening as i find they 'sit' better.

I take materna too. My tummy is fine with them.

I take the costco brand. They are the same as materna and have the same clear coating as well.

I am on a presciption folic acid of 5mg and I also take 'swiss total one' every other day which is a twice a day materinty vitamin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->