Can't cope with the pain!

Eegee

Reaction score
I posted the other day about only feeding from one side, but thankfully Jasmine has started feeding from both sides - she still prefers the right but will feed from the left occasionally. However, the pain is quickly becoming unbearable after being reasonably okay for a few days. I'm planning on going to a breastfeeding group tomorrow afternoon, but I need some reassurance to get me through 'til then!

I have very large areolas but my nipples are pretty small and I struggle to get them erect. The only time they are particularly big is when I'm in the shower and it's a bit chilly because the bathroom window is open. When I'm feeding, the best I can manage is about 1cm in length. I have very large breasts too, partly because I'm quite overweight, and so it's difficult to get them into a shape to pop into Jasmine's mouth. I try to get as much in but within seconds we're down to her nibbling on the end again (or at least that's what it feels like). When my nipple comes out it's pinched and yellow/white. As the feeling returns, the pain begins!

To top it off, despite the fact she is only just over two weeks old, Jasmine seems to have teeth visible under the skin of her lower gums. I know teeth shouldn't come into contact with nipples anyway, but if the latch is so bad I wonder if this is contributing to the problem.

I don't know what to do, but I'm at the point now of dreading her waking up to feed! It's worst in the evening when she wants to feed for hours on end - she's already had about two hours but she still looks like she'd happily accept more. I'm not even sure she's feeding the whole time - there's the odd little 'glug' but I suspect a good chunk is just for comfort.

I am going to give nipple shields a go but I can't find out where stocks them, so I will have to order them online and wait for them to be delivered :(

Boots, mothercare and even supermarkets sell nipple shields.

Have you tried feeding baby in a different position on the left side?

Your post sounds like how I was at the beginning. I too have large boobs and struggled to get my nipples erect. I ended up buying a latch assist by lansinoh and it was fantastic. I only needed to use it for a few weeks until my nipples responded to baby better. I also used a nipple shield for a few feeds for a break and it was my life saver. I was just in so much pain and needed a break.
My son also fed better off one side than the other but I was told this was down to my position more than my sons.

Keep at it, it really does get better!! Here I am over 10 months on and I'm so happy I stuck it out x

I will make my husband go to Boots for me tomorrow. I tried to ring them but nobody answered, and when I do Click+Collect on Mothercare they only have dates towards the end of the week which I assumed meant they didn't have them in stock. Hopefully Boots will have them though as it's easier for my husband to get to (he's working near town tomorrow and has a bus pass - saves me paying out to get there).

I'm just really frustrated with it all at the moment - midwives kept telling me the latch was perfect but it clearly wasn't because the pain lasted longer than the 10 to 20 seconds they told me was normal, and I had some breastfeeding people come (one midwife I saw asked them to) and they didn't have much to say except the usual - "It'll get easier", "Don't use a bottle" etc. They advise against using anything that might help - including things like nipple shields - and it just seems stupid because it means I've been left feeling like I just have to continue struggling.

I will have a look at the latch assist too - I read that the pump should help if I do that first for a short while but I think the funnel is too large as my nipple comes up much wider and shorter than it would if I was breastfeeding and it looks ridiculous. I highly doubt it'd make breastfeeding easier so maybe the latch assist will do a better job.

I've tried numerous positions to get her to feed on my left side but she's not especially impressed by any of them. To make matters worse, I've been getting awful pains in my wrists after a while of holding her in the right place or trying to hold my breast out the way of her nostrils - occasionally I manage to get in a position where I can free up both hands but that's quite rare. I'm probably unintentionally making everything ten times more difficult for myself.

I thought breastfeeding would be great but the only thing keeping me going is knowing that it's much better than formula (and my husband going on about how he wants me to breastfeed for as long as possible).

My baby is 1 week old and was born with 2 little teeth on the bottom!

Although they don't interfere fully with feeding i can tell they are getting in the way as she's starting to slip off the latch And sometimes nibbles me!

They are due to be taken out this week as they are floating in the gum rather then being proper rooted teeth!

Ouch!

Nice! I bet that was a bit of a surprise. Jasmine only seems to have the little white lines and my friend said her baby had them too but they disappeared for a while as her baby grew, and now a few months later they've reappeared. At least my husband has had his finger 'bitten' - it hurt him enough for him to say "ow" in shock, so I hope he can imagine what it feels like on a considerably more sensitive body part!

I have tried feeding lying down? I pop DS on my breast in the general direction of my nipple and allow him to latch himself. For some reason, he'll often do it better himself. Plus he'll generally wriggle around so he can breath, although keep an eye on her.

I have huge boobs (42gg) and I still have to have my boob for her the whole time she's feeding, yes even at 9 months, but I never have to hold her. In bed I sit up cross legged Indian style with a pillow on my lap and lie her on it. Downstairs I sit on the sofa with her across me on a feeding pillow. If I'm out I use my changing bag on my lap with a blanket over it to get her a bit higher, i couldn't cope with having both hands busy for the hours and hours she used to feed as a newborn. I'm jealous of people whose boobs are small enough that their nipples point forwards, mine point at my feet hence I have to hold them up to feed her!

I know all the bfing supporters/midwives tell you not to use nipple shields but in some cases they actually make all the difference between being able to feed and not, and they don't have to be forever xx

I had midwives and a hospital "expert" tell me my latch was good but none were able to be with me long enough to see the horrible shape my nipples were in when she finished her feed. LLL and NCT lactation consultants could see that my LO didn't use her tongue properly and "clamped" on with her gums instead. This link is very informative:
https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipple-blanching/

If it is worse on the side that she didn't used to like at all it is possible this one has a stronger let down and she is clamping to slow the flow. If so, as she grows and as your supply regulates it will get better.

I couldn't get nipple shields small enough for my LO's mouth and there can be associated supply issues but if it is a choice between shields and giving up breast feeding altogether then I'd say give them a go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->